Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Donations to giveaways

I've been asked for a donation to a giveaway for an event. In this case, it actually might be a positive marketing thing for me if my costs were kept low, and I have a 12x18 print I did as a test that turned out fabulous and deserves to be hung up somewhere.

But how would one go about presenting a large print for an event like this? I've looked at the pre-made mats available and I am underwhelmed at their quality; at best they would be throwaway mats. However a nice double mat, let alone framing if I went that route, would be a pretty penny.

How would you present such an item for a giveaway? It has to be something the person can leave with; I don't want to deal with delivery or custom matting, etc. And since I personally will be at the event (whether I give this print away or not), I especially want it to look professional.

12-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
I've been asked for a donation to a giveaway for an event. In this case, it actually might be a positive marketing thing for me if my costs were kept low,
In almost all circumstances giving away your work to charities in the hope of a return from the marketing is a complete waste of time. The only time I have seen it work is where the giver was consistent, in that they had a presence at the same event year after year. Advertising/marketing is about the number of 'impressions', I think the number is in the 20's at this time. As in if they see your message/name less than 20 times they won't remember you the minute they walk out the door.

Now if they are willing to put you on the agenda/brochure/pamphlet as a "sponsor" then that improves things.

So IMHO if the charity is worthwhile and you would support it, or donate to it anyway, go ahead. Take the deduction on your taxes and feel good that you helped, but don't expect much of a return.

As to presentation, either go big or don't go. If you are seeing this as a representation of your work that a potential client might see, then take it to the local frame shop, get it professionally matted and framed and assign the 'value' of all that plus the print as the value of your donation. I would not in any circumstances donate something unless I was proud to see it hanging on someone's wall. And who knows, maybe a client will see it and make another purchase, it could happen. Just my opinion of course, YMMV.

Another thought: go on Fine Art America and price out a similar size print, matted and framed from a couple of artists and see how much that would actually cost. Then use that for the 'value' of your donation. Sorry, if you already knew about that.
12-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, Jatrax. This is not a charity, so there's no tax deduction potential, it's strictly a marketing expense if I do it. I wouldn't consider it if I weren't going to be there. It's for a local B2B mixer and while I wouldn't be a "sponsor" (reserved for the folks really ponying up money for the space, food, booze, etc.) I would be part of some of the marketing blitz as a donor. And pointing at the print on display and saying "oh that's me" should be more effective than a photo business card while schmoozing at the event.

All of my business (such as it is) is pretty much in note cards and a few small prints, mostly to businesses. I'd like to start selling larger prints, but I'm not ready for the art show scene nor do I have the cash to throw at a booth setup. This seemed like a good opportunity to throw it out there that they look good big, too. I haven't priced framing in a while, so I guess I need to do that.
12-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All of my business (such as it is) is pretty much in note cards and a few small prints, mostly to businesses. I'd like to start selling larger prints, but I'm not ready for the art show scene nor do I have the cash to throw at a booth setup. This seemed like a good opportunity to throw it out there that they look good big, too. I haven't priced framing in a while, so I guess I need to do that.
I'd suggest you do a bundle of note cards instead of a large print. A 12x18 would need to be framed well and be won by the right person, namely someone who is excited to put it on their wall. There's nothing sadder than a piece of art lovingly donated as a prize going to someone who doesn't appreciate it or even want it. Not to say that you couldn't totally make someone's day, but it could also crush yours, be expensive, and also be poor advertising as mentioned. On the other hand, most everyone can make use of note cards and I think they're a less presumptuous prize since they don't require dedicated wall space by the recipient..

I'm something of a pessimist though. Several people at the event may fall in love with the large piece and you may end up with orders that you would have otherwise missed out on, so who knows.

12-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha -- my pessimistic thoughts exactly. If I were going to go to the trouble of finding a good framer, framing, etc... at that point I'd try to find a wall to hang it on with a price tag. Finding such places is already in my plan for 2014.

I *hate* doing note cards, though! So much labor for so little profit. And ironically the 12x18 print cost is a third the cost of a doing dozen note cards.
12-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I *hate* doing note cards, though! So much labor for so little profit.
LOL. Every time I do a batch I think "what the heck are you doing", But I have the materials and they do sell. But a lot of work for not much return.
12-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been asked for a donation to a giveaway for an event. In this case, it actually might be a positive marketing thing for me if my costs were kept low, and I have a 12x18 print I did as a test that turned out fabulous and deserves to be hung up somewhere.

But how would one go about presenting a large print for an event like this? I've looked at the pre-made mats available and I am underwhelmed at their quality; at best they would be throwaway mats. However a nice double mat, let alone framing if I went that route, would be a pretty penny.

How would you present such an item for a giveaway? It has to be something the person can leave with; I don't want to deal with delivery or custom matting, etc. And since I personally will be at the event (whether I give this print away or not), I especially want it to look professional.
I've done a few of those. You get a warm feeling, but generally not much else out of it. I don't spend a whole bunch of money on presentation for this sort of thing. My first stop would be your local department store and see what they have for pre framed art in their home decorating section. Often one can find a surprisingly nice frame and mat for reasonable money wrapped around some hideous mass produced dreck.

12-30-2013, 02:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi
Have you considered doing your own ? Don't be put off, it's not that hard to do.

If I am not mistaken, it looks like you want to embark in doing this sort of thing a bit more in the future. If this is the case why not set yourself up to do your on framing. It is not that difficult I have you know and a fair bit cheaper over the long run.

I have been doing this for more than 15 years now. I have thought myself and have acquired enough expertise to tutor others now. The beauty of this is you are totally independent. And you can start off small with a modest investment. Try to buy all your materials from wholesalers, which is not easy in the beginning and it requires you to develop a bit of an relationship with them, but it can be done. For example, I struck up a friendly relationship with a local bookbinder and I buy all the mat board from them. I have a TRUE VUE Artboard catalogue (Americam made) and he now even orders for me from the wholesaler a pack of 10 or twenty different boards of my specification. The same with a local frame supplier from whom I buy several length of framing moults at a time.

Start off to buy a low cost mat cutter (there are some good ones around) and a few other things. They are:

Steel ruler, at least 24" long (longer better)
A straight edge (I went to an aluminium window fabricator to get a length of suitable framing off cut for free)
A right angle square
A half decent miter cutter saw (you can buy a better one later)
A framers clamp
A box of V nails to strengthen frame mitres.
Some wood glue. (I use the American Tite Bond)
A box cutter

You also need some big sheets of 2mm Grey backing boards made from 100% recycled material. The are cheap.
You need these to cut your mat on, and you can also use them as backing for your pictures.

If you do not wish to make your own frames just yet then purchase stock frames to begin with from a frame maker and print your pics and cut your mats to suit those stock sizes. (At least in my country I can go and purchase stock frames.)

Glass is probably the dearest component of the picture framing but bear in mind that a professional framer has to pay for glass as much as you do.

By the way I rescue old Window Sheet Glass from demolition sites. This is glass which was manufactured for windows before Pilkington invented the Float Glass manufacturing process. This old sheet glass is not very flat and has some distortions in them as well as the occasional bubble. That makes it very valuable for picture framing and I usually get a fair premium price for it. It gives the pictures a sort of antique look particularly if it suits the motive and the frame.

Perhaps you may shy away from all this, but let me tell you that framing your own pictures is immensely satisfying.

Greetings
12-30-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Schraubstock, thanks for the thorough write up on DIY and I hope someone will find it helpful. I'm not afraid to do such things and I've always been the handy type, but unfortunately my hands don't work very well anymore and I'd make a mess of it. (If I could even manage all of it, which is far from certain.)

I've decided that giving away art isn't necessarily a welcome gift unless you are a "name" artist. I haven't decided on the note cards yet.

I like the 8x12 ratio, and options are few and far between here in 2:3 for some reason. I guess the love of all things widescreen hasn't made the leap to photography. When I'm ready to do shows and stuff, which is definitely not yet, I may be able to make a deal with a local framer if I order a bunch of frames and mats in all the same sizes.