Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

What should I do?

I've always been a hobbyist photographer who's done a few shoots for money & sold a few prints, but now I've had someone requesting some of my full-sized digital images taken on my own and displayed on Flickr (not ones done as part of a shoot for or request by them). Anyone have any suggestions on whether I should sell my full-sized originals to someone else (who can then make and print as many copies as they wish) and if any of you have actually done this, can you tell me what kind of price you charge?

Thanks!

01-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kodai84 Quote
I've always been a hobbyist photographer who's done a few shoots for money & sold a few prints, but now I've had someone requesting some of my full-sized digital images taken on my own and displayed on Flickr (not ones done as part of a shoot for or request by them). Anyone have any suggestions on whether I should sell my full-sized originals to someone else (who can then make and print as many copies as they wish) and if any of you have actually done this, can you tell me what kind of price you charge?

Thanks!
Are they wanting a print of one of your images or are they wanting a copy of the digital file of one or your images? If they want to buy a print from you, I would sell it to them but what you would charge would depend on what size print that they would want. If they want to buy an image file, I personally wouldn't sell it to them. If they want an image file, I would find out why they want to buy it before you make any decision whether to sell it to them or not.
01-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have never sold a print or a picture one... that said I second the motion to find out who wants to buy it and for what reason they want it.
01-04-2014, 11:42 PM   #4
Brooke Meyer

Thanks!
It depends. First, be very careful. Lots of online scammers. Do you know them?

There are folks who will look for local interest photos on Flickr. Typically they'll want them for free but they'll "give you photo credit" Got a call once from an agency looking to use local interest photos in an area restaurant renovation. They found them on my now extinct Flickr account. After I sent pricing, I never heard from them again. Not once have I been able to fill my gas tank or pay Blue Cross with "photo credit". If they tell you it will be great exposure or will help you get paid on the next job, run away.

You'd sell use rights. Is it Personal or Commercial? Personal, Non Commercial Use is one of my offerings to Moms & Dads for Santa Picture Downloads. They can share on Facebook and make prints from the larger sizes. My Premium Prints don't fit everyone's budget or use.

If its Commercial, there are a lot of variables: Exclusive, Non Exclusive, Web, Print, Geography, Length of Use, etc. A tool like fotoQuote will let you price it but need access to the tool.
Do you have Model Releases if there are recognizable people? Property Releases for private properties?

I've quoted corporate events for unlimited, internal use. When they wanted to use a photo externally, it was a different license. One of my customers, a national non-profit, hires me for events. They want Web and Full Size images and I set my hourly rate accordingly. They already have the Model Release for their customers (kids) and I can't show them.

Anybody can screen scrape any image and there isn't much you can do except limit size and include your logo or name. If they want full size images, out of the blue they found on Flickr, be skeptical and careful.

01-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone have any suggestions on whether I should sell my full-sized originals to someone else (who can then make and print as many copies as they wish) and if any of you have actually done this, can you tell me what kind of price you charge?
It's not unusual for someone to request a full-size version of a pic. Unless they're using it for the web, that's probably going to be pretty standard. What you need is a contract of some sort that spells out how your image may be used. As Brooke Meyer pointed out, you're selling usage rights. Typically, rights are granted for specific purposes, like a one-time usage in an issue of a magazine, for example. However, if they decide to do a "best photos of the year" calendar or something, you're entitled to another fee because now they're using the pic for something for which permission wasn't originally granted. Make sense? That contract is your protection against them taking your full-res file and using it to sell your pic themselves. Check out whoever it is that's wanting to use your pic. If they're a legitimate company that prints a magazine or greeting cards or calendars or whatever...it shouldn't be too hard to find out if they're for real.