Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #31
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
full frame ! ! !
In big red letters, just like the post.

01-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #32
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
How about... "Does anybody there follow what's going on here on the forum" and if the answers no, would it not be a good idea.
The answer is yes, I think that goes without saying haha.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #33
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The answer is yes, I think that goes without saying haha.
Well you'd like to think so, but these big corporations do have their moments you know.

Just thought we might we able to keep them right from time to time.
01-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AA bracketing ?

Could AA bracketing be added as a firmware upgrade on the K-3? Also, does anti-aliasing work with the flash in high speed sync? it obviously can't work when the flash fires at 1/10,000 sec in regular auto flash mode.

01-13-2014, 05:45 AM   #35
Forum Member

1) Any plan to fill the gap between 300mm and 560 mm with a DA* lens (e.g. a DA*400/5.6 or a DA*100-400 or longer zoom)
2) any plan to revamp all the DA* lens with the new HD coatings and the DC motor instead of the SDM
3) date for the TC release
01-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #36
Inactive Account

Canon and Nikon have all but abandoned the high end APS-C creating an opportunity for Pentax to carve out a good niche because they have the fullest line of APS-C dedicated lenses but recently, Fuji as been aggressive in moving into Pentax's territory by planning to release 16-55 f/2.8 and 50-140 f/2.8 as well as fast primes (where Pentax only offers DA*55) how will Ricoh respond?

Will the next generation of Ricoh Pentax cameras have Hybrid AF with on chip phase detection?
01-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I'd like Ricoh to consider a mirrorless camera that was sort of a "Swiss Army" knife of cameras. It could be folded up and used compactly, when the need arose during travel. But then at a travel or hiking destination, it could do multi-faceted things in a non-compact form. Such a camera would appeal to hikers and world travelers who still insist upon the highest quality IQ.

Features would include:

A. ability to be used on a tripod without breaking apart - some current mirrorless cameras are less than durable when used on a tripod. The K01 had a very solid base for example.

B. IR ports in the front and back

C. A new mount that was capable of taking legacy lenses from other mfr. with deluxe manual focusing techniques, like focus peaking and magnified manual focusing. Registration distance should be such that it avoids the vignetting and color casts that have plagued some other mfr mounts.

D. Camera body would include a high quality adapter for the K-mount lenses that would enable full AF use

E. At least tilting LCD and an EVF.

F. APS sensor at least or FF sensor.

============

As a separate suggestion, how about a slow shutter that goes beyond the 1/30s shutter standard. 4 seconds i'm thinking would be nice and would allow tripod work without hooking up a cable shutter all the time.

Thanks for the opportunity to ask questions and thanks for the great K3!!!

01-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #38
Inactive Account

Make it so that you can record a note with the microphone and attach it to the metadata for a picture or set of pictures in the picture viewer system.

Often, if I am traveling I will take pictures somewhere and would like to also associate some of my thoughts at the moment with the pictures or I will meet someone, take a picture of them, and it would be nice to attach a voice memo about them. Also when doing some experimentation, I will often have to write down what I was doing during which shots and it would be a lot more convenient to just stop, review them on the camera and say what I was doing.
01-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Biggest things for me is what you already have on the list... de-cripple the mount and when they actually plan to release a Pentax K-HG - no more promises...
01-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #40
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've updated the first post with some of the topics I plan on discussing during the interview, many of which are based on your suggestions- so keep them coming!

As others have mentioned, it's pointless to ask about specific product ETAs or plans, so those kinds of questions won't be asked. The same goes for individual firmware/feature requests.

I have a hunch that the 1.4x TC will come out during the show, BTW. Pentax probably has a lot in the pipeline after not showing off anything new at CES.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #41
Veteran Member

-Do you plan to tackle the full-frame (professional) market?
Or Sony A7/A7r is what Pentax user should get if they want FF?
or can Sony make one for Pentax K since they already making sensor for Pentax, might as well make camera for it...
-status of third-party lens support.
Especially Sigma with their fast prime.

Finally,
-How is the sale of K-3 compare to K-5?
-Is there any lens development going on at all? after DA 560, all PENTAX did is re-badge lens, and add HD/WR to existing lens.
01-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Tethering support beyond the flucard. Do they plan to eventually have SDK to allow third-party software (i.e. Lightroom) to support Pentax camera for tethering?
This... if they aren't going to have a camera with an articulating screen, tethering to smart phones and tablets on the low/mid range cameras for us hobbyists and on a camera that can still use AA batteries.
01-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Will pentax release any updates to current wide angle lenses with WR and HD coatings? An WR HD 16-45mm would be my pref but I realize it overlaps with the 16-50mm. A WR HD 12-24 would be nice too. There are no WR ultra wides right now for pentax and a WR ultrawide would fill a perfect niche for landscape shooters. The 16-50 is the closest. Imagine a WR mirrorless K mount with a WR 15mm for backpacking...
01-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I only have one question.
Roadmap of FF.
It can even be 2020. I can wait but I don't want to live in unknown.
01-18-2014, 03:06 AM   #45
Veteran Member

My questions/wishlist for Pentax:

- Is there any reason why ONLY electronic SR during video is offered? The mechanical SR in the K-5 worked great, and there are huge disadvantages to an electronic SR making it worse than useless (you also lose wide angle as the picture is _always_ cropped, even when you deactivate it). Video quality takes a big hit when using electronic SR except for under the very best situations. Ideally I would like to be able to use either no SR (no crop), mechanical SR (no crop), electronic SR (crop) and electronic SR + mechanical SR (crop). More sophisticated algorithms for mechanical SR would be great, perhaps with parameters/different settings. For example it would be good if the SR could detect pans and act accordingly. The ability to control the rebound rate would be nice, i.e. do I want a very stable look, a shaky look, ... A rectangle showing the position of the sensor/the area that it can cover would be nice too. Pentax could easily advertise the mechanical SR to increase sales. Just show how well it works without any additional gear.
- How about a here be dragons setting? To unlock more advanced features, like the aforementioned SR related things. Or to have a white balance lock when shooting video, working exactly like AE-L. To have a position lock for the SR system, to ask it to hold exactly the current position, regardless of camera movement. A button to indicate that you are currently panning, so the SR acts accordingly.
- Will there be an API with the Flu card, so that there'll be more elaborate programs that may allow scripting of the camera? With the CHDK firmware you can run scripts on Canon cameras, giving them tons of possibilities.
- Why was MJPEG removed? Can there be higher bitrate video for cases where it is needed? Perhaps 10 bit video recording in h264 (it is possible, some Sony cameras do it these days).
- Is Cinema DNG possible/considered at Pentax? All that is needed is for the camera to save at least 24 DNG files per second with 1920x1080 resolution.

Last edited by kadajawi; 01-18-2014 at 03:30 AM.