Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
You really need to explain this one. Pentax was bought by Ricoh. Firstly the ex-Pentax companies were renamed "Ricoh Pentax Imaging", and later just "Ricoh Imaging". "Pentax" was degraded to a mere product line instead of a brandname. How does that contitute Ricoh folding into Pentax?!?

And if you had been fixed on the brand, then you would have been cured by now. Fixing people to your brand is such a has-been marketing strategy anyway. They don't need that.
The question is not about a name, it is about structure and people. Ricoh kept the Pentax folks on board, kept developing the same lines of camera that they had and discontinued some overlapping Ricoh cameras. Ricoh line up was hit a lot harder than the Pentax line up and the message was clear that Ricoh would continue to invest in Pentax and the SLR line ups.

01-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Dori: Here, Mr. Gandalf? Can't you do something about this deluge?
Gandalf: It is raining, master dwarf. And it will continue to rain until the rain is done!
I find it no more than a slight annoyance, but since it's out of my control I'd rather not be bothered by it. Ricoh Imaging, with Pentax as a product brand - so be it!
What good whining about it over and over again, with heaps of PentaxIsDoomed? If you like the cameras (and I do), you would continue to use them regardless of the small Ricoh lettering under the back LCD - lenses being Ricoh-free. If you don't like Pentax products, I wonder what are you doing on PentaxForums...
01-17-2014, 07:18 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because Pentax Hoya and Pentax Pentax and Pentax Asahi did such a wonderful job managing the Pentax brand over the last 15 years?

Ricoh makes Pentax cameras with Pentax people and Pentax patents. They use Ricoh capital and Ricoh business practices to manage the business side. We all shoud be very happy about that, and we should welcome the fact they're telling the world Pentax will be around in the future due to the strength and commitment of Ricoh. Maybe some new customers will try the K3 since they're not afraid Pentax will just disappear next quarter.
01-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Brand loyalty to a company that was so conservative in the end, they took a great company and turned it into a bit player. People seem to be forgetting who the bad guys were here. Pentax was doing nothing and wasn't going anywhere... and in the end couldn't defend themselves against a hostile takeover. The Pentax that took the world by storm with through the lens metering, has been gone for 50 years.

That Ricoh has chosen to stay with the name, is a tribute to that one great innovative leap ahead, 50 years ago. There's been no real buzz around the brand since then, as far as I can remember. What big thing happened around Pentax in the last 50 years that someone else didn't do first? I didn't catch any of the buzz around Pentax and AF or Digital, because Pentax came to the party long after the buzz had died out.

Last edited by normhead; 01-17-2014 at 07:32 AM.
01-17-2014, 07:56 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ricoh name (down the road) on cameras with the Pentax brand retained for glass. Anything is possible. As long as my investment stays valuable I don't give a shit.

One thing is for sure: the Ricoh brand will become more and more prominent over time. Look at the difference a year makes, for example.
01-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I didn't catch any of the buzz around Pentax and AF or Digital, because Pentax came to the party long after the buzz had died out.
Because the ME F could only focus on a stationary subject with good contrast...
01-17-2014, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #22
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Gaffer's tape will fix that display, but it'll probably take several rolls.

01-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Brand loyalty to a company that was so conservative in the end, they took a great company and turned it into a bit player. People seem to be forgetting who the bad guys were here. Pentax was doing nothing and wasn't going anywhere... and in the end couldn't defend themselves against a hostile takeover. The Pentax that took the world by storm with through the lens metering, has been gone for 50 years.
Not many are remembering historical facts as well as you do. Hoya's hostile takeover (pushed by Sparx Asset - nasty business) is forgotten, the cost cutting, lens development basically stopped - with all those, and Ricoh are the bad guys?

I would like to add one thing, though, about "Pentax was doing nothing". They did nothing, for a looong time - but just as Mr. Urano and Mr. Suzuki were arranging their companies "merger" (behind Pentax board's back), they launched the amazing K10D and were preparing lots of brand new lenses. That was their chance of recovery (as an independent company), and it was not because of Ricoh that it was lost.
01-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Ricoh are the good guys... as a matter of fact I am extremely happy Ricoh are the ones who took over Pentax. Is the perfect glove! I doubt any other company would of work so well for Pentax...
I'm always puzzled by people's rage at Ricoh... without them, most probably you will not have Pentax at all.

Now, for the next step in world domination... how do we convince Ricoh to take over Sigma!?
01-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CES is a trade show for distributors and retailers who sell consumer electronics. Ricoh is the manufacturer trying to make deals with and for its North American distributors at this show and the tire kicking visitors to the show are mostly coming for the latest TVs and smartphones, so plastering Ricoh all over the place isn't a big deal in my mind. I think this booth reflects Ricoh's inexperience in B2C marketing compared to B2B, because in the consumer market Ricoh is even further below the radar than Pentax and I don't see any indication of Pentax branded marketing materials that retailers could use in their stores. In the end though, in this consumer savvy world we live in, better products are more important than better advertising from a marketing standpoint.
01-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What it boils down to is that "he who has the gold, makes the rules". It is as simple as that.

I do not profess to know what the plan is or will be, or what the future has in store for Pentax. I still have my Asahi Pentax Spotmatic IIa that I acquired in 1970. I would have suggested to the Ricoh folks that they should have the brand name "Pentax" out there, but I am guessing that option has been argued and the march down the Ricoh path was ordered for whatever reason.

I have an investment in the K mount. I do not see myself selling everything off only to re-purchase in another mount. So it is what it is.

Photography is always an exercise in compromise.

01-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #27
Veteran Member

My K-3, K-5, K-01, and Qs are zombies now. Zombies are cool!
01-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
only one who feels bad at seeing this
Don't get too wrapped around the axle just now, IMHO Ricoh are still feeling their way with the whole Pentax thing just now.
01-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #29
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I don't get it. When I first met Pentax, it was a brand name from Asahi and either Asahi or Honeywell was clearly stamped on the FRONT of the camera. Maybe the younger fellas never saw/knew this but those of us with 40 years of loyalty bought of the basis of Asahi's quality, not the fact that they had the nerve to put their name on it. And to my knowledge, Pentax as a name originated with Leica/Zeiss (Do correct me if I'm wrong).
01-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Personally, I don't get it. When I first met Pentax, it was a brand name from Asahi and either Asahi or Honeywell was clearly stamped on the FRONT of the camera. Maybe the younger fellas never saw/knew this but those of us with 40 years of loyalty bought of the basis of Asahi's quality, not the fact that they had the nerve to put their name on it. And to my knowledge, Pentax as a name originated with Leica/Zeiss (Do correct me if I'm wrong).
Aside from the Honeywell name, it was the same here, and you're right about the origin of the name (Zeiss, specifically).

My point was not that Ricoh doesn't have the right to put their name on the product (as they have) but that they are mainly selling products that are not Ricoh-branded, but you wouldn't know that until you got up close to the stand. If you take the analogy of a car show, you wouldn't expect General Motors to have a display that didn't have Chevrolet (or Holden, here, at least for the moment) prominently displayed somewhere, would you?