Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #1

Photography Qualification, do I need one to further my career?

Hi all,

I have been a self thought photographer for a number of years now, have my own small business Marisa Gangemi Photography, and just recently got a short term job as a school photographer, BUT I was recently talking to a friend who just finished an advanced diploma in Photography and he recommended I get a photography qualification if I want to take my career any further. I completed an Industrial Design Degree in 2012 and I am currently job hunting and not keen on doing full time study again, and financially can't afford it. I am looking into doing a few short courses instead. On the flip side though I have heard from other photographers that doing a course can be a waste of time and money as some institutions charge too much for what they offer and don't deliver on what is promised.

I just would like to know what you guys think, any suggestions? do I need a qualification to be considered professional?

Last edited by MRRiley; 01-23-2014 at 06:16 AM. Reason: deleted URL in post body
01-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A good portfolio is the most important thing. An industrial design degree should satisfy most people that you know which end is up :-)
01-21-2014, 08:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Study sales / marketing. Assuming you have adequate photographic skills, that's what you need to be $uccessfull.
01-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I agree. A doubt anyone will ask for your credentials but they will want to see examples of your work, especially since photography is more about creativity and how you see and frame subjects. However, a photography diploma will introduce you to all the different types of photography - like fashion, photojournalism, etc. - and its an enjoyable way to spend your evenings without doing a full-on degree. But I don't think your carrier as a photographer will be greatly impacted. Getting yourself known and getting as much experience as possible will probably do more you in the long run.

01-21-2014, 11:38 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the question is furthering your ability/experience generally no. If you want to learn you teach the course, not take it! Anyway that is my own experience (in academic areas, but should be no different). In order to teach/(truly) explain you are forced to understand at a deeper level, and you make connections as you lecture that are not something you would think of under any other circumstance.
01-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarisaG Quote
Hi all,

I have been a self thought photographer for a number of years now, have my own small business Marisa Gangemi Photography and just recently got a short term job as a school photographer, BUT I was recently talking to a friend who just finished an advanced diploma in Photography and he recommended I get a photography qualification if I want to take my career any further. I completed an Industrial Design Degree in 2012 and I am currently job hunting and not keen on doing full time study again, and financially can't afford it. I am looking into doing a few short courses instead. On the flip side though I have heard from other photographers that doing a course can be a waste of time and money as some institutions charge too much for what they offer and don't deliver on what is promised.

I just would like to know what you guys think, any suggestions? do I need a qualification to be considered professional?
When you say "job hunting" what context are you talking about? As an employee or as a contracted photographer? Those are very different situations.

If you are seeking employment from a company or corporation, you have to identify the real world skills they are seeking. For both of these contexts your book will be critical, but from a company's perspective they see good portfolios all the time. Key things are what additional skills you bring with you. These days it helps to be able to work well with a group of diverse individuals. Most companies also value project management, so taking a class in that would help convey your interest at least.

Additional training would be valuable if it is highly specialized and that is a desired skill. 3D modeling software or video production are quick examples. Some work, such as forensic photography with law enforcement, has documented requirements, so know what you are aiming for completely.

The best reason to take an advanced class is to develop connections with the instructor and peers.

M
01-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
When you say "job hunting" what context are you talking about? As an employee or as a contracted photographer? Those are very different situations.

If you are seeking employment from a company or corporation, you have to identify the real world skills they are seeking. For both of these contexts your book will be critical, but from a company's perspective they see good portfolios all the time. Key things are what additional skills you bring with you. These days it helps to be able to work well with a group of diverse individuals. Most companies also value project management, so taking a class in that would help convey your interest at least.

Additional training would be valuable if it is highly specialized and that is a desired skill. 3D modeling software or video production are quick examples. Some work, such as forensic photography with law enforcement, has documented requirements, so know what you are aiming for completely.

The best reason to take an advanced class is to develop connections with the instructor and peers.

M
Miguel I am currently job hunting for Industrial Design as a full time job, but want to continue doing photography (because I love both), sorry I probably didn't word it right. But I was wondering if in future if I want to take my photography further is it necessary to have the qualification or can I just continue on my path of getting more experience from freelance work and my own learning?

But from what I have read and from everyone's suggestions (which are fantastic) I have decided I am just going to do a short course for now , and I have signed up for a folio review event where professional photographers will look over my work so far and I'll get feed back.

Thanks everyone for your helpfull suggestions and advice, much appreciated!

01-22-2014, 11:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The vast majority of photographers are self-employed, and no one cares about your official qualifications. If you want to be a photography professor, probably different story, but photography professors are paid to teach, not take photographs. (Which they usually do on the side, but rarely make any money at it. They do get the perk of having free access to equipment, darkroom, etc.) I actually have a such a degree -- never got me anything except student loan debt.
01-23-2014, 03:40 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by MarisaG Quote
Photography Qualification, do I need one to further my career
For me it's always been about the imagery you produce, not the qualifications you hold, luckily for the for me the folk that pay my bills obviously think the same.
01-23-2014, 06:03 AM   #10
Banned

Your body of work is what counts.

Last edited by jogiba; 01-23-2014 at 02:55 PM.
01-23-2014, 06:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no such thing as a "qualification" for photography. Even a BA in Photography is not a "qualification." You have to remember that photography is not a field in which you get certified or accredited. Anyone can be a photographer. If you are good and very lucky, you can be successful. If you are good and unlucky, you will not. By far though, the most important aspect of being successful in the "business of photography" is the "business" part. There are scads of good or excellent photographers, but most have no business acumen. However, there are tons of business minded people who are barely good photographers that manage to be successful.

One thing I would advise is to join a professional organization that aligns with the type of photography you wish to do... such as the National Press Photographers Association. It isn't a "credential" but it can help network and can provide a sense that you care about photography "as a profession."

Mike
01-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #12

The best start working out of your home as self employed
This is very low cost and good portfolio ,
The degree only helps open door for a very few emplores this cost a lot of money and time.
You may want look few class at city college in business and the printing industry

Good luck
Dave