02-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Olympic photography article.

The Inside Story of How Olympic Photographers Get Such Stunning Images

02-20-2014, 07:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi J2photos.,

If you have an Android phone I really must recommend the app called Photography News.

I can promise you fun...

Cheers!
02-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter

The thing that stood out to me is that they're sending the OOC JPEGs during the shooting. That means it is really all on the photographer to know their equipment & their craft. And the cameras! Four bodies with four lenses all ready to go. Wow! That's a lot of instinctive muscle memory to drop one, grab the next, frame & shoot in just fractions of a second.
02-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
The thing that stood out to me is that they're sending the OOC JPEGs during the shooting. That means it is really all on the photographer to know their equipment & their craft. And the cameras! Four bodies with four lenses all ready to go. Wow! That's a lot of instinctive muscle memory to drop one, grab the next, frame & shoot in just fractions of a second.
that one ski jump/biathalon expert looked like he had all 4 cameras mounted on a metal frame rig. it wouldn't surprise me to learn he triggers all four bodies with 4 diff focal lengths AT THE SAME TIME!

and man do I wish I had an advanced scout team that could pic shooting locations 4 years in advance for me!!!

i'm not going to bemoan the advantages of having 50k worth of the best equipment in the world, or a tech team scouting locations, and i'll be the first to admit they are darn good photogs, but I bet several of us around here could capture similar images with that much support.

I also know i'd give a couple body parts for the chance

02-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
that one ski jump/biathalon expert looked like he had all 4 cameras mounted on a metal frame rig. it wouldn't surprise me to learn he triggers all four bodies with 4 diff focal lengths AT THE SAME TIME!
Ok, that's just mind boggling.
02-20-2014, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I bet several of us around here could capture similar images with that much support
Aye but to do it frame after frame, after frame consistently that's different ball game, not just the odd keeper now and again, thats why these guys a good at what they do.
02-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye but to do it frame after frame, after frame consistently that's different ball game, not just the odd keeper now and again, thats why these guys a good at what they do.
It makes you wonder how many keepers they have and how many throw away images they have.

02-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
It makes you wonder how many keepers they have and how many throw away images they have.
At this level probably high throw away count as they're trying for perfection.

So much so that the average person in the street wouldn't really see the difference between them in terms of exposure and composition.
02-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would love to shadow one of these guys/gals for a week to learn how they do it, from the article it seems very very interesting.
02-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
at 10-15 frames per second and expected 1 million images taken, I would expect maybe 1000-1500 images will be marketed. that's 1 keeper for every 1000 images if my math is right.

i'm not taking away from their talent and skill level, but I've been doing this long enough to know that 90% of a good action photo, be it wildlife or sports, is being in the right place at the right time.

I officiated High School and College Basketball and Baseball for 27 years. I can tell you with certainty, you reach a point where you have just about seen everything and the action becomes predictable by as much as 10-15 seconds. You get to know the athletes and know their tendancies and you just instinctively "know" what's going to happen. If you have access to their practice runs you know where on the course they will attempt certain high risk maneuvers. For that Shaun White Photo, i'd be willing to bet they'd watch him attempt it 4 or 5 times in practice and knew within 10 feet where he was going to land. All you need is one prefocused camera at that area and a decent crop, and boom, amazing photo.

Ancient archers used to do the same thing with aiming stakes set at various intervals in the battlefield.

And if all else fails, with many sports you just follow the ball/puck etc.

my point is, that with an entire advanced team planning shoots 4 years in advance and athlete's following essentially a known path, it makes it 100x easier to "be there". Throw in $50k of equipment and 15 fps, it elevates everyone's game a notch or two.

could 50% of the shooting populace pull these photos off? no. another 25% wouldn't even care to get up 2 hours before sunrise, but the other 25% of us could compete fairly well given that kind of logistical support.
02-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I'm in that bottom 50%! :-D