Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Deputy caught on controversial cell phone video to get training

Excerpt:
Sheriff Brown said the deputy shouldn't have placed a man in handcuffs, nor taken away his cell phone. He says the deputy will be assigned back to one-on-one training for six weeks which will focus on civil disputes.

04-23-2014, 11:28 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is no grey area in the UK, just police who are ignorant or wilfully try to bend the law to cover their daily breaking of it and are terrified of being caught out.

Photography advice - Metropolitan Police Service makes it clear as day.

Extracted from the above "Freedom to photograph and film
Members of the public and the media do not need a permit to film or photograph in public places and police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel."
04-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I think is also the nature of a person...

For example, personally I do not like or enjoy to be photographed or to be part of a video (I know... the irony right!?).
If I see someone is about to take a picture of me (or video) I always ask nicely to not... in that case I expect the person to respect my wishes and back off.

And because I don't like it, consciously I just cannot take a picture of someone without first asking for permission.
I would never be a good street photographer...

Now, I do NOT approve the cop's reaction, however, I think / strongly believe that in this case, the photographer should of backed off and turned his camera down when the cop requested so - whatever the reason was.

There is such thing as the photographer's rights but is also such a thing as decency, respect to other's wishes and common courtesy.
I think there should be a law that says if a person does not wishes to be photographed or video recorded, the photographer/videographer should back .
No! NEVER back down to cops like this, not unless the threat of violence to your person is just too great. That cop had no legal right to make such a "request". Bystanders are not so innocent when they become enablers of social injustice, either actively OR passively. This is especially and acutely true when it comes to institutionalized social injustice taking a violent turn. The personal camera IS the newscam these days. And you, Pentax amateur or cell phone user, are the photojournalist today: witness for, and representative of, the Fourth Estate; which has otherwise largely sold out on meaningful photojournalism and evidence gathering. You might not want the job, but who's left to do it? This is a moral thing.

---------- Post added 04-24-14 at 03:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by adebate.87847:
There is no grey area in the UK, just police who are ignorant or wilfully try to bend the law to cover their daily breaking of it and are terrified of being caught out.

Photography advice - Metropolitan Police Service makes it clear as day.

Extracted from the above "Freedom to photograph and film
Members of the public and the media do not need a permit to film or photograph in public places and police have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel."
Absolutely... Period... End of debate. Or it should be.

---------- Post added 04-24-14 at 03:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Google Seeks to Integrate Cameras Into Contact Lenses | I ing Love Science

This is why I love science and technology. What will police do if/when cameras are integrated into contact lenses and automatically streamed to the web?

California police use of body cameras cuts violence and complaints | World news | The Guardian
Everyone tends to act more respectful (police and the public) when they know they are being recorded.
And also, what will criminals do? And liars in civil cases? Etc., etc.

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 04-24-2014 at 12:11 AM.
04-29-2014, 07:04 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Man Arrested After Taping Arrest With Cell Phone

04-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
my goodness you do have a charming police force in that town, do they represent accurately most police in America? or are they the exception?
04-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
THIS is why our right to photograph the police MUST be protected...

Knox County cop fired immediately after photos show brutal choking of student

This deputy was fired as a direct result of irrefutable evidence of his brutality.
04-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #97
Pentaxian

I expect the "body cam" idea to become the norm actually -- the trend is clear and the police will eventually want to get ahead of the issue and will simply start to film everything they do themselves. I suspect in 10 years it will be weird/suspicious if there is not video of every arrest/search warrant being executed/etc by the police themselves. It will simply be standard practice.

04-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #98
Pentaxian

My opinion.

I think when we discuss photographers rights, we need to keep in mind other people's rights too.

I'm an avid photographer, but I also respect the rights of others who do not want to be photographed.

I've seen a number of media photographers 'justify' their photography of people in unfortunate circumstances or....unfortunate people...not wanting to be photographed. Generally the media's pat answer is that they can photograph who they want...when they want...as it's the public's right to know.

I think this is a weak argument, concocted to justify photography that in many cases has little credit.

As my old father said to me, many years ago.... in a democracy we all have rights. But along with these rights, are our responsibilities and those responsibilities include, not imposing our rights over the rights of others.

In too many instances, I find that many are narrowly concerned with their rights...while excluding any concerns for other's rights.
04-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
This deputy was fired as a direct result of irrefutable evidence of his brutality.
The photographer will now be a target in that town! He will get repeatedly pulled over and ticketed for bogus violations! That is if they don't set him up for something worse!
04-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
The photographer will now be a target in that town! He will get repeatedly pulled over and ticketed for bogus violations! That is if they don't set him up for something worse!
Do you know that for sure ? Or is that speculation ?
04-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #101
Pentaxian

So the rest of them will be fired? They aren't that dumb. More likely he'll get a free pass...
04-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Do you know that for sure ? Or is that speculation ?
Last year there was a person arrested for taping police. During a rally to raise funds for her defense , the police showed up and ticketed all the cars parked 12in or more from the curbs! Their mistake was to continue with this when the media started recording. I'll see if I can find an archive of this.
04-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #103
Veteran Member

Last year there was a person arrested for taping police. During a rally to raise funds for her defense , the police showed up and ticketed all the cars parked 12in or more from the curbs! Their mistake was to continue with this when the media started recording. I'll see if I can find an archive of this.
Rochester police use selective enforcement of parking laws to harass attendees at a meeting in support of Emily Good - Boing Boing
04-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Thats it!! Oops got the year wrong though.
05-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Man Arrested After Taping Arrest With Cell Phone

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men." John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, first Baron Acton (1834–1902)