Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 01:07 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stop just one habit and your days may feel twice as long and twice as rich.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/secrets-longevity/201402/the-little-know...et-longer-life

"A little-known secret to staying healthy and living longer involves discarding your camera."

02-26-2014, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SashasMom Quote
"A little-known secret to staying healthy and living longer involves discarding your camera."
Well that doesn't bode well... I think quite a few people actually buy a camera for "therapeutic" purposes
02-26-2014, 01:36 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

That's one perspective. However, I've noticed that I see so much more since I took up photography. I used to walk along with tunnel vision and not notice anything. Now, I see beautiful landscapes and flowers and animals around me. My eyes have been opened by photography.
02-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I wish I could, loco. I often walk around with a camera and see nothing to photograph. One of the reasons I bought a Q was to have a camera I could carry everywhere. I rarely take a pic with it.

Annoyingly, on those days I don't have the camera, I do see opportunities - then I forget I have an iPhone in my pocket.

02-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
One of the reasons I bought a Q was to have a camera I could carry everywhere. I rarely take a pic with it.
Annoyingly, on those days I don't have the camera, I do see opportunities - then I forget I have an iPhone in my pocket.
Or is it that you feel somehwat conspicuous and perhaps a little pretentious out in public shooting with a real camera?
I know this is my problem Too self conscious for some reason, I can't seem to shake it.
02-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Reads like advertising for his book.
02-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Reads like advertising for his book.
Yup, it's a plug for a self-help book.

QuoteQuote:
If you are interested, The Longevity Project was published in paperback edition by Plume (see The Longevity Project) and is also available on Kindle and Nook. The book also contains self-assessment quizzes to help you figure your current trajectory.

02-26-2014, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

LOL. Photography is Zen to me. But since he's a Phd he knows best. So I'll give up the camera and quit Tai Chi. That way I can experience this
Calm, Beautiful world in all it's Sanity.

NOT !
02-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well next time I haul 20 pounds of equipment up a mountain, I'll remember that photography is "sedentary."

I think he has a point when it comes to putting down the gear and enjoying yourself, but I'll stake a photographer on his feet all days against my former profession -- sitting in a chair all day on a computer.

xkcd: Photos
02-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Wow - It's been a while since I've had such a dose of stupid... But I guess since every person is different anything can be be helpful...
02-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SashasMom Quote
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/secrets-longevity/201402/the-little-know...et-longer-life

Pop psychology crap that better fits a reality TV show or the shopping channel.
02-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #12

Original Poster
I agree totally laughable article. Thanks to my camera I get out more, hiking, meeting new people in photo groups, etc. And being a photographer has made me appreciate the natural world and all its beauty, which I try to capture on film(card). Also my dog benefits too. I photograph her all the time and she gets rewarded in the way of food when I ask her to pose.
02-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Remember that "psychology" is a big word for Common Sense. If you have a little common sense, you sure as hell don't need psychology.
I could get in a lot of trouble here on this one......but I won't.....Common Sense!

Regards!
02-26-2014, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

The article is redonkulous..
02-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It sounds like these are not purposeful photographers, so it make sense. But he fails to give any specific details of the type of photographers in the study. So his basic assertion is dubious to start with.

There's also a major disconnect, because I guarantee you that anyone who's old enough to have been in a "longevity study" during the last 20 years isn't a concert-going selfie-taking mad instagramer.

Nevertheless, if your photography is a quick and casual type that's more intent on taking a 2-D photo than living the moment, you probably are less happy. But I still think this characteristic is going to be found more in the younger generations.