Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Ricoh/Pentax Sponsorship?

Is there anyone on this board who is sponsored by Ricoh/Pentax? I remember reading a few posts here back in the day by a couple of users on how Pentax was reluctant to sponsor anyone. I want to know if that's changed with Ricoh. If you are sponsored or know anyone, can you enlighten me on the necessary steps I have to take to convince Ricoh to sponsor me?

I've been shooting Pentax since I started a few years ago. Now I feel like I'm at a point with my work where I can influence the brand. To this day, I haven't found another fashion photographer besides Benjamin Kanarek who shoot with Pentax DSLR. I've gotten enough of my friends to buy Pentax for Ricoh to at least cut me a check :-) .

My portfolio: www.edmaximus.com

02-27-2014, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EdMaximus Quote
To this day, I haven't found another fashion photographer besides Benjamin Kanarek who shoot with Pentax DSLR.[/URL]
He made a big deal a few months ago about switching to Nikon...
02-27-2014, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
He made a big deal a few months ago about switching to Nikon...
I remember seeing him shooting Nikon recently but I don't know the whole story.

Ben was an asset to the brand. It's too bad Pentax didn't realize that. His work was what influenced me to go for Pentax when I started.
02-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
they are looking to sponsor some shooters from rumours I've heard, can't say how or where I've heard these rumours, but I do know they are looking to endorse a few shooters. More in the areas of Pentax's strengths as well (low light, weather sealing, light weight...)

if this develops further, I'll post links

02-27-2014, 09:11 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well they should certainly be sponsoring @Heie

@RonHendriks1966 too.

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-27-2014 at 09:19 AM.
02-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #6

Not sure if Mark Dimalanta surfing lifestyle photographer huntington beach, california Mark Dimalanta , Kerrick James Kerrick James , Julie Quarry Lifestyle, Travel and Fine Art Photography | PhotoQuarry , Allen Birnbach Allen Birnbach Photography - advertising, corporate and editorial photographer, Denver, Colorado Los Angeles, California or Christopher Bisell Christopher Bissell: Corporate, Commercial and Celebrity Photographer is sponsored or not.
Some of them was earlier.
02-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Allen Birnbach - PENTAX

02-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't think Pentax ever sponsored Kanarek and that was part o the reason why he switched brands for his still photography. Other reasons he mentioned were AF and flash system.

I think Pentax sponsors a couple photographers, but very few and they don't seem to be very well-known. Pentax doesn't really spend many funds on advertising so I'm not surprised.

If you want sponsorships, its probably better to try asking photography stores or other random businesses.
02-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I don't think Pentax ever sponsored Kanarek and that was part o the reason why he switched brands for his still photography. Other reasons he mentioned were AF and flash system.
He was always mad that they wouldn't give him a 645D.
02-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote

I think Pentax sponsors a couple photographers, but very few and they don't seem to be very well-known. Pentax doesn't really spend many funds on advertising so I'm not surprised.

If you want sponsorships, its probably better to try asking photography stores or other random businesses.
It would of course make perfect sense to sponsor photographers who are not known to anyone and prefer be quiet about using Pentax Must be good friends of one the bosses ...

I suspect Ben K's strategy was to position himself as sponsorship candidate and I think he did a worthwhile job. His failure landing a deal should perhaps be a lesson to OP.
02-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #11
Banned

I don't think Ricoh thinks the same way as Canon or Nikon when it comes to their user base who are in it as a professional.
Canon Professional Network - Canon Professional Services - Supporting photographers when they need it most
Nikon Pro
02-27-2014, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #12
Banned

Ricoh Imaging UK already supports ‘Become a Pentax/Ricoh ambassador’. Anyone can join.

But touting some big name photographer around, is a double-edged sword, and generally, although in 1970's it was a norm, it should be avoided in today’s advertising for all non-exclusive goods and services. In 1970's, if something went wrong, it could be hushed up. But now, in the world of instant messaging and web? The damage is instant.

Does Nikon really want Thom Hogan writing online nonsense about them and acting as 'a Nikon prophet'? Or Pentax having a similar 'prime' photographer performing a similar act of disgrace?

It is hard to find an honourable, classy and a person dignified enough not to say, write or do crazy things when caught off guard and when on their own. Best is if sponsorships as such are avoided altogether and something non-comitting and harmless like that Ricoh Imaging UK action installed.

However, avoiding any commitment is good for a photographer too. Imagine yourself being involved with a company that shortly after becomes a bad headline in the newspaper (like Olympus recently). Imagine your disdain in explaining yourself at length to all people who inquire, having to answer all kinds of weird questions and doubts about you.

On the other hand, there will be paradoxical situations too. Say, HCB spent almost all his life carrying a Leica camera with a taped logo and chrome parts so no one could see it was a (Leica) camera, could not see metallic reflection and that he aims to photograph. Yet Leica chased him often around the globe often to insist on interviews and general appraisal of their cameras and equipment.

Anyone who cannot afford his/her equipment and wants to depend on sponsorship of some kind, does not appreciate own freedom and feels an urge to be a prophet of some kind for someone .. I think something is utterly wrong there, and that person is in a wrong line of work.

Last edited by Uluru; 02-27-2014 at 08:49 PM.
02-28-2014, 05:51 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteQuote:
However, avoiding any commitment is good for a photographer too. Imagine yourself being involved with a company that shortly after becomes a bad headline in the newspaper (like Olympus recently). Imagine your disdain in explaining yourself at length to all people who inquire, having to answer all kinds of weird questions and doubts about you.
Show me a link were a photographer had problems because of Olympus corporate management or were Olympus made bad headlines in a newspaper ? Having to answer all kinds of weird questions and doubts about you ? Really ?
02-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
But touting some big name photographer around, is a double-edged sword, and generally, although in 1970's it was a norm, it should be avoided in today’s advertising for all non-exclusive goods and services.
Good point, makes sense. That being said, I think Pentax could still profit a lot from such a sponsorship. More than Canon and Nikon, which are already well known. Pentax needs to tell the world that their cameras and lenses take good photos, too. And that professionals use Pentax as well.

Edit: But its also true that photographers these days are not such big rockstars to begin with. The media landscape has shifted already
02-28-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Once you sponsor a photographer then you have to tell the world you sponsor the photographer and you're right back in that 'advertise' box that Ricoh (at least in the USA) seems not to want to get into.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-28-2014 at 09:15 AM.