Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Need advice on Family/Kid paid photo sessions?

I am just starting out. I have only had about 7 paid photo shoots of families and their children. My prices are low for introductory reasons, but am wondering when should I try to get the more pro features and what features should I have. I am still figuring out if this is just a hobby business I am a stay at home mom to my two small children or if this is something I can actually get an income once they are in school? I am curious on photo releases how they work, because right now they just pay me and I give them a cd that doesn't have any tells that it is a professional cd so I don't have anything in writing releasing the cd. Should I? Also, I post sneak peeks on either my blog or on my fb page, is this allowed or do I need a release from them to do so? Also, is it okay if I use one of the photos as a profile pic for my page? Thank you in advance.

03-01-2014, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When my wife gives away cds she only gives away 50% sized files, she also offers the customer the option of printer(she uses mpix.com)

If you are to get anything that is going to help you, make some custom flash diffusers and reflectors that way you can control the light more.
03-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can I just make a suggestion? I recently paid a local "photographer" for portraits of my children, who are not small or wiggly. My kids are 14,13,12. I didn't pay "a lot". But what I got back was blown out highlights & squinted eyes & eyeglass lens glares. I could have done that myself. Needless to say, I won't use this "photographer" again. I'm now on a mission to learn to do it myself. I have the appropriate equipment.

My point is be careful in hanging out your shingle & booking yourself as a pro when you admit you're still a beginner yourself.
03-05-2014, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by smileyz1gin Quote
Also, I post sneak peeks on either my blog or on my fb page, is this allowed or do I need a release from them to do so?
I am not an attorney, but it seems like it could be interpreted that you are posting these photos as a publicity exercise promoting your commercial activity, and thus you should obtain a signed release form. FB and your blog (I assume) are freely accessible by anyone.

For all of your photographic-related activities, I would think through your objectives and decide the best way to achieve them. For example, if you want to provide previews of the finished shots from your private shoots, then spend the money on a professional online sharing service such as Smugmug which provides password-protected galleries wrapped by your own branding. Your clients could also order prints through the service. You really should obtain signed releases from all your clients so that you can use the best shots for advertising your work.

M