Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
I love Pentax. I am totally committed to K-mount by investments and loyalty. But read current interviews with the Ricoh/Pentax guys. They are obvious amateurs. They know zilch about public relations and promotion internationally. If you uncritically kiss their a****s you're not helping them to get a leg up, you're just helping yourself feel better. Just sayin'
If you disagree I still respect your opinion.

Olympus at least knows how to do PR.
I suspect Pentax know the Japanese market as well as or better quite likely than anyone but are in two minds about stepping too far beyond it - and therein lies a problem, perhaps. The other players are full international affairs and Pentax isn't quite that yet. Perhaps that's not really what they are about. Who knows?

As for the future, it's impossible to predict - might as well put the money on the greyhounds. Cautious and sober outfits fall by the wayside while outrageously profligate outfits somehow surmount turmoil and losses to pull through with the one product no one ever expected, or expected to work either. The crazy ones are more fun, though.

03-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I personnalIy don't think like kissing anything ; i am rather struggling for sound arguments in a kind of exotic - if not misplaced - discussion ...
I agree last RI's CP+ interview was useless and uninteresting, but do you get more light in OLY's one ?

Last edited by Zygonyx; 03-01-2014 at 02:23 PM.
03-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #18
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Don't forget Olympus dumped their film mount to create the 4/3 digital only mount. Then, they ditched that for the micro4/3 mount. I almost bought Olympus 4 years ago. I'm sure I'd be pretty ticked today if I had. (IMO. YMMV. I'm not dogging anyone who owns or likes Olympus.)
Tell me about it! I almost bought their E30, but some inner voice told me not to. Pentax all the way, if for nothing else then just for refusing to change courses and fooling customers at every new whim.
03-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #19
mee
Pentaxian

"Loyalists" ?? What are we, American revolutionaries?

There is no loyalty here. I am loyal to God and I might be loyal to my nation.. but I am NOT loyal to a product brand.

03-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #20
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Some people think just because you use a product they don't you are using it out of brand loyalty, while they in their infinite wisdom, use a different product as a result of their superior intelligence and analytic powers. Yes it's insulting, but hey, when you got nothing, any straw is a lifeboat. This dude is grasping at straws.
03-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The boring K-3 with massively improved AF-C and amazing sensor (24mp resolution, 16mp SNR) is exactly what I wanted. This month I will have an SDM compatible 1.4x convertor for my DA*300. I have a bag full of good and great lenses, no need to start over. Ricoh Pentax is clearly tuned in to where I want to go.
03-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Honestly, I don't see Olympus reinventing the camera. They have their little niche market in mirrorless, just like Pentax has theirs with SLRs. The only problem for Olympus is that they have painted themselves in a corner by using a mount that isn't compatible with any larger sensors. Whether it is mirrorless or with a mirror, I do think the future is moving in two directions -- tiny sensors (mostly in cell phones) and large sensor cameras. Looks to me like Olympus may be caught in the middle. I sure hope not, because it would be nice to have more than just Nikon and Canon around.

Not totally sure how revolutionary their cameras are anyway, compared to, say the Sony A7r. Feels like Sony can out-tech everybody.

As to Pentax, their revolutionary stuff are products like the Q and the K-01. But for the most part, they are pretty traditional, which is OK by me. Good products -- better in many ways than Canon/Nikon products at similar price points with solid build and no compromises. More of the same, please, for me.
03-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #23
JPT
Pentaxian

Another person here who wanted a relatively compact DSLR and seriously considered buying an Olympus around 2008-2009. I consider that to be a lucky escape and I'm glad I bought a K20D instead. Even at that stage, few could have predicted Olympus would abandon the 4/3 mount so completely. It was such a shame, because they had developed a set of great lenses. There is a lot to be said for continuity, especially when customers are expected to invest so much in the equipment. This is what puts me off Sony and Olympus. When times are bad, they seem prone to sudden shifts in their strategy, which could potentially leave their users in the lurch.

03-02-2014, 03:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I personally think that Ricoh/Pentax is the gang that can't shoot straight. A comedy of errors. (I still root for them even though I think they are fatally out of touch.)
I love Pentax. I am totally committed to K-mount by investments and loyalty. But read current interviews with the Ricoh/Pentax guys. They are obvious amateurs. They know zilch about public relations and promotion internationally. If you uncritically kiss their a****s you're not helping them to get a leg up, you're just helping yourself feel better. Just sayin'
If you disagree I still respect your opinion.

Olympus at least knows how to do PR.
So you mean you're a Pentax loyalist who's disgruntled by the way RI does PR? I wonder where you got the "can't shoot straight" or "comedy of errors" conclusion. RI PR and marketing could sure use some serious backup and funding, but they're working their way slowly and surely.

I've only been a Pentax user since 2010, but I've never seen so much marketing action for Pentax since the last year. Even here in the Philippines (which is probably so low down the Pentax profit list), RI has certainly given the market some kicks - presence in trade events every few months, special Pentaxian-oriented workshops and feature shows, and ads inside shopping malls. Not sure how Pentax is doing in your country, but I'm sure they're just making sure every dime they spend on the much-loathed department gets spent wisely.... at least in some areas

and as for "loyalty" the first camera I loved was not a Pentax... but a Minolta. Then a Fuji and a Nikon. I guess things just kind of floated right when I hopped into the Pentax boat

Last edited by Alizarine; 03-02-2014 at 03:28 AM.