Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #1

For Pentax Loyalists

Please look at this and contrast it against recent Ricoh/Pentax statements. CP+ 2014: Olympus interview - 'our reason to exist is to push the envelope': Digital Photography Review
I personally think that Ricoh/Pentax is the gang that can't shoot straight. A comedy of errors. (I still root for them even though I think they are fatally out of touch.)

Last edited by jeff knight; 03-01-2014 at 11:00 AM.
03-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Why would I care, as it is Pentax - and not Olympus - who makes the products that I want?
03-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you are mistaking "fatally out of touch" with a company that is very patient and cautious in a market they do not have a large share of.
03-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
I personally think that Ricoh/Pentax is the gang that can't shoot straight.
As evidenced by the 'camera of the year' K3? sheesh!

03-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #5

I am hard-pressed to see any connection between Pentax and the linked article about Olympus.
03-01-2014, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I personally think that Ricoh/Pentax is the gang that can't shoot straight. A comedy of errors
Hi Jeff,
I think that's a bit harsh towards Pentax. While companies like Sony Olympus, Fujifilm, Panasonic and Sigma seem to flounder around with alternate VF, mirror/less, format size, sensor styles and splashy releases, none have carved any real inroads into the DSLR market, either with overall sales, lens selection or even a clear indication of which sensor size they're aiming for. I also don't believe any have more than a dozen OEM lenses offered per system.
Pentax, since the Ricoh takeover has been very direct in approaching the APS-C market, using commercial, available sensors. They're made a few lens upgrades and several new releases, the DA 35 and 50mm primes, DA 20-40Ltd, 560mm and the T/C. Their latest flagship APS-C body has been very well-reviewed and received generally.
Depending upon how you count the various kit lens offerings, new/old Limiteds and available D-FA's, Pentax has about 30-40 new OEM lenses. With 3rd party releases, it's near 100 new lenses in K-mount.
Pentax has traditionally had a presence in other formats, but under Ricoh, they seem to be gathering most of their eggs into the APS-C basket, leaving room for FF, if it happens.
If Sony, Olympus or any of the others want a clear third-place in DSLR sales, I don't see a complete system by any, to rival Pentax. Maybe it's being developed right now and I'll look foolish. Wouldn't be the first time!
Maybe not.
Ron

Last edited by rbefly; 03-01-2014 at 12:14 PM.
03-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I read the article and it is good. The OMD-M1 is a great camera. But Olympus is still bleeding money and salesnumbers for that fantastic expensive camera are low.
03-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Pentax Ricoh and Olympus (and everyone else) have made their share of sterling products mixed with lemons. Ricoh has recently pushed the envelope with the K-3 and Ricoh GR.

Cheap shot: Olympus has certainly "pushed the envelope" of accounting fraud and white collar crime

03-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Perhaps Jeff could explain us what kind of "errors,, RICOH have committed - and the relation btw Pentax loyalists and Olympus : the only brand to ditch 2 mounts in less than 10 years time !
It seems short memory goes on par with "modern photog geekery" and other expensively paid "Waouw syndroms"....

Last edited by Zygonyx; 03-01-2014 at 12:50 PM.
03-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At least Pentax K mount has an enormous legacy catalog. And Ricoh has stated that they're committed to continuing the K mount for the future.
03-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #11

Original Poster
I love Pentax. I am totally committed to K-mount by investments and loyalty. But read current interviews with the Ricoh/Pentax guys. They are obvious amateurs. They know zilch about public relations and promotion internationally. If you uncritically kiss their a****s you're not helping them to get a leg up, you're just helping yourself feel better. Just sayin'
If you disagree I still respect your opinion.

Olympus at least knows how to do PR.

Last edited by jeff knight; 03-01-2014 at 01:04 PM.
03-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #12
Banned

Please look at this and contrast it against recent Ricoh/Pentax statements. CP+ 2014: Olympus interview - 'our reason to exist is to push the envelope': Digital Photography Review
I personally think that Ricoh/Pentax is the gang that can't shoot straight. A comedy of errors. (I still root for them even though I think they are fatally out of touch.)
Goodness gracious Jeff, wasn't it exactly Olympus who dumped the entire new 4/3 mount and DSLR approach to make a new new m4/3 mount and mirrorless approach? If shooting straight means dumping users and lenses and investments as such, then yes, Pentax can't shoot straight.
Ricoh Imaging is only almost stubbornly careful and overcautious. Why blame them for that? They will manufacture less camera models, appear less 'flamboyant' but those will be very best in class.
03-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Goodness gracious Jeff, wasn't it exactly Olympus who dumped the entire new 4/3 mount and DSLR approach to make a new new m4/3 mount and mirrorless approach? If shooting straight means dumping users and lenses and investments as such, then yes, Pentax can't shoot straight.
Ricoh Imaging is only almost stubbornly careful and overcautious. Why blame them for that? They will manufacture less camera models, appear less 'flamboyant' but those will be very best in class.
Don't forget Olympus dumped their film mount to create the 4/3 digital only mount. Then, they ditched that for the micro4/3 mount. I almost bought Olympus 4 years ago. I'm sure I'd be pretty ticked today if I had. (IMO. YMMV. I'm not dogging anyone who owns or likes Olympus.)
03-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

OM system is getting great reviews, but l generally have good feelings about Ricoh. K3 is reviewed very well among pros and consumers. Sounds like the market is getting tighter, and that ultimately might wash out some good models and makers. I hope that does not happen; I have wondered, however, if the DSLR market is just plain getting saturated. I've got a K5 classic - how much more camera do I need?
03-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I personally think that Ricoh/Pentax is the gang that can't shoot straight.
Not like Olympus management that was convinced and sentenced to have hidden the losses of their company ?