Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Yes, they gave me a pre-paid FedEx label immediately.

As to the UG lenses... could this be a cheap cost-effective way for Pentaxians to keep up with -- let alone surpass -- all those Holga people? Actually, bring me up to date -- is the Holga phenomenon still going on? Or has it gone the way of Beanie Babies and Bitcoins?
They really don't have all that many UG, and anything "interesting" gets snapped up quickly because they are so cheap. UG lenses are good add-ons to an order because the shipping cost is often too much extra to make it worth it just for the one lens...

03-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KEH is one of my favorite photographic vendors due to the quality of their goods and the excellent customer service. Their Web site is a bit of a pain (purchase flow failed the last time I tried to use it), but the trouble is worth it.

Steve
03-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
My experience with KEH has been generally good. I did purchase a BGN grade lens and was not happy with it. Unfortunately i did not get it tested before the return period expired. Everything was functional but the IQ of the lens was much less than expected. They would not take it back. Other than this one issue, I have been very pleased with their service and products. I will likely buy from them again. It is safer than from FleeBay and the price is about the same.

Pentax Bob
03-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Very favorable experiences. Lenses are always a grade better than marked. Trade-in is easy and fairly priced. My only return was a non-OEM flash that was not fully functionally pTTL as listed (the kind of crap-shoot you get with the various unannounced upgrades common to ever-changing flash firmware these days). No questions asked, and no cost to ship back.

It seems to me that in instances when the item is exactly as advertised, the marginal cost of returns should be paid by the "buyer". Otherwise, the rest of us have to pay a higher margin because a few folks abuse the temptation to repeatedly do trials at no cost. The people filling the orders, paying for shipping, and keeping the lights on in Atlanta shouldn't be expected to do that for free.

03-04-2014, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
If anyone's interested, here's a picture I took today with the second Pentax f/2.8 200mm lens from KEH. The autofocus works quickly and quietly. For me, any problems from here on out will be due to my lack of skill as a photographer... not to any defects in this excellent product! K-30 on TAv, f/9, 1/1000, ISO 640... about 5:30 PM near San Diego.
Attached Images

Last edited by jon404; 03-04-2014 at 10:15 PM.
03-15-2014, 11:20 PM   #21
osv
Veteran Member

i've only purchased one lens from keh, it was an olympus 24mm 2.8 prime, that was rated as ex.

the lens looked good on initial inspection, but after taking a closer look with a flashlight, i noticed that the glass wasn't really all that clean.

after i finished cleaning it with ror and kim wipes, i found light haze under the rear element, covering about 20% of the glass.

then i noticed that the blades were sluggish, but only when opening up to f2.8... they were dragging pretty severely only at that spot.

they took it back, and i ended up paying an extra $26 or so more for an ex+ version of the glass, that so far looks much better.

ever hear the old adage that no one ever sells a good car? i think that it also applies to camera lenses
03-15-2014, 11:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
Has anybody bought any lenses rated UG from KEH, and what have your experiences been with that grade?
I've bought a few bargain lenses and done very well but my understanding is the ugly ones are in pretty bad shape, might have technical issues or bad cosmetic damage and it's not really worth it. They don't sell lenses with fungus and that. Those they junk, but they will sell lenses as ugly that have iffy glass, that don't work 100% properly, have body cracks etc. Usually they will tell you in the description on those what the problem is. Usually it's something like bubbled glass, cracks, peeling coatings, tons of wear, it's pretty bad for them to grade it like that. Their bargain lenses though tend to be ones they have too much stock of, don't have caps for, or that they can't sell as better because of filter ring damage or something minor like that. They're working fairly well usually otherwise.

I think I've bought half a dozen from them bargain and never had a major problem. The one time I thought I did it turned out to be the camera body and not the lens. When I first got that lens I put it on another camera and it really didn't work well at all. I thought it was a total dud. But then I put it on my K-x and it was like a totally different lens. It worked like a charm. No problems at all. On the K-x it's pretty much my standard walk around lens now and it's excellent actually, a total bargain for what I paid for it. ($24 I think it was...)

08-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

If you e-mail them and ask about a particular camera, will they provide a shutter count?
08-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #24
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by shaX 07 Quote
If you e-mail them and ask about a particular camera, will they provide a shutter count?
Why not call and ask? Toll free number.
08-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've ordered a few things from them, several camera bodies, lenses, a light meter, and have always been satisfied. Today I took delivery of a BGN K1000 body and 50mm SMC-M f2 lens, together, for a less than $50.00. I'll take it out for a spin tomorrow and develop the film over the weekend but have no reason to believe it won't work. The body is a bit beat up but that's exactly what I was looking for; a camera that appears to have little value and can be cheaply replaced in the event of unfortunate events. I once had to return a Canonet with a dim rangefinder and the process was truly hassle free so even if there's a problem with the K1000 there's no worries.
09-30-2014, 11:04 PM   #26
Veteran Member

KEH is a good company. TBH.
i purchased several DA lenses. Even it's marked BGN---still in astonishing (compared with some exc+ sellers), it's still way good for that.
10-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've also had good experiences from them, but never needed any extra service. Good to know that they will take care of me if I do!
10-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Had never ordered an "ugly" lens from KEH before, although have a number of (excellent-looking) "bargain" lenses. But just this week ordered and received an "ugly" M 200 f 4. Not sure why it was rated so low - glass is clean and clear, aperture snappy, body of lens shows very little wear. Only problem is a very slight tightness in the built-in hood. And all this for only $12.00
10-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Just in case anyone is curious, here are my first test shots with the UGLY grade M 200 f4:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/276300-nature-my-favorite-ugly-lens.html