Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2014, 11:39 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My experience with KEH Camera

I want to tell you about my recent experience with KEH Camera, a well-known company in Smyrna, Georgia. They buy and re-sell used cameras and lenses.

I ordered a Pentax f/2.8 200mm lens, in LN- condition, with 2-day shipping. It arrived exactly on time, and, from the outside, looked very, very clean... 'like new', as advertised. But when I used it, on both my K-30 and K-01, the autofocus just didn't work. It hunted back and forth and most often, wouldn't lock on. I then learned from posts on this forum that sometimes the SDM motor fails, or just works incorrectly.

E-mailed KEH. Described the problem. Got an immediate response -- 'send it back, here's how, here's your return number, here's a FedEx label'... KEH paid the return shipping. Next day, I sent the defective lens back.

But in the short time I had it to use, I really liked the lens itself -- the quality, the way it handled -- and the image quality, when I had it on manual focus. So I e-mailed KEH again and asked if they could just let me exchange the defective one for another one they were selling... the second one in EX+ condition (one step down from LN-). Again, an immediate response, that they would send the second lens as soon as my defective lens arrived.

And sure enough, a few days later, they e-mailed me that the second lens had shipped, and it also arrived right on time, using the 2-day shipping I had paid for the first time around. Next, without being asked, KEH credited my VISA card with the price difference between lens one and lens two, which was less expensive.

And today, the second lens arrived. The exterior looks every bit as good as the first lens! And it works perfectly -- fast autofocus, smooth manual motion, sharp images with great color quality. Baseball season is starting now, and I'm looking forward to using the lens to catch the action.

But this is about KEH, not me. I want to recommend KEH to anyone looking for a used camera or lens. You will get what you pay for... and my experience is that their condition-grading is conservative, so that you always get more than what you paid for. You will get excellent service, and if there is a problem, you will get immediate help to make sure it is resolved fairly.

KEH? Recommended. Five stars. The way an internet business should be!

Jon Donahue, San Diego, California.

03-04-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good feedback. Thank you for sharing.

Many PF members incl. myself used Keh in the past, and it is highly recommended.
03-04-2014, 01:11 AM   #3
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Great to see positive experiences shared, and credit given where credit is due.

I have looked at lenses on sale at KEH from here in New Zealand, and wondered.

So thank you, this feedback is very helpful to me, to know they are really good to deal with.
03-04-2014, 01:59 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 thanks. Its really great to have someone posting a positive experience for a change.

Another Kiwi, that will have a look at KEH!

03-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

+1 to KEH products & super fast shipping. I have used them countless times to buy stuff.
03-04-2014, 07:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Yes, they generally have very good service, and they pay for the return shipping if they are at fault. (Note that there is also a return window if you just change your mind, which is nice.) Their grading is conservative, but it is also obviously "quick" as you've just found out (I recently received a lens with the wrong mount!) -- so thoroughly inspect and test anything you get from them as soon as it arrives. The BGN ("bargain") grade is hit-or-miss -- I've gotten stuff that was just obviously broken and I've got stuff that was absolutely mint -- can't find a single flaw on it and I'm just marveling why it was graded BGN. I have a feeling that in some cases they just give it the grade that it came in with so the seller doesn't think they are being taken advantage of by re-grading it higher. (They have a system where you can grade your own stuff and they will give you a quote you based on that, so if the person mailing in the lens grades what ought to be EX or better lens as a BGN for whatever reason, maybe they just leave it at that since they paid for it at that rate? That is total speculation, just seriously I've gotten *perfect* lenses graded bargain, and I've got total crap lenses graded bargain, so it is strange. Or maybe there are some things they just don't want hanging around -- I tend to buy oddball lenses, and almost all older stuff, not modern AF lenses.)
03-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Has anybody bought any lenses rated UG from KEH, and what have your experiences been with that grade?

03-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
Has anybody bought any lenses rated UG from KEH, and what have your experiences been with that grade?
My experience with KEH has been very good every time. The one UG lens I bought from them was unacceptable so I returned it for refund--no problem.
03-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I have bought UG lenses, which I expect to be "unacceptable" -- that's why they are graded that and the prices are very low. UG should be considered "for parts" or repair -- don't expect to get anything usable as-is. Anything graded UG will have some glaring problem that will affect the image so it is usually problems with the glass, anything with a major mechanical problem I suspect they just keep for their repair department. (All of the lenses I have sent back with mechanical issues never re-appear on the site for sale again.) I think all of the UG lenses I have bought have had haze or fogged internal elements -- some cleaned up, some didn't.
03-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I bought most of my 645 lenses from them: AF 75mm, A120mm Macro, AF 200mm. The 200mm stopped focusing and I had to ship it back. Paid for shipping one way was my only cost. The others are seemingly better than advertised.
03-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Paying for return shipping must be new. Several years ago I ordered a camera body listed as EX+. Arrived with shutter button not working and debris all over the sensor.
I paid for shipping coming to me and returning. Only other option was to send it back and they would fix it. Nope. I was credited for price of camera only.
SO buyer beware.
03-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I may have been wrong about not having to pay for return shipping; it's been a few years since that happened. However, my current recollection is that I had only paid one way.
03-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Yeah, I think they used to pay for return shipping only sporadically or if you complained about it. But for the last year or so at least if you are returning something for some problem not your fault, they automatically give you a prepaid FedEx label...
03-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, they gave me a pre-paid FedEx label immediately.

As to the UG lenses... could this be a cheap cost-effective way for Pentaxians to keep up with -- let alone surpass -- all those Holga people? Actually, bring me up to date -- is the Holga phenomenon still going on? Or has it gone the way of Beanie Babies and Bitcoins?
03-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for KEH. I have bought numerous items from them and they are highly recommended.
They screwed up a couple lens hood orders, but let me keep the wrong item (which I sold) and refunded my money right away.
The only negative with KEH is the expensive online shipping rates outside the USA. However if you order via phone you can get a better shipping rate than online.

Phil.