Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2014, 06:28 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Request for Permission to Use a Photo

I got a request on Flickr to use one of my photos for free on a website and in a publication in Taiwan. The organization looks to be a legitimate charity, here is the comment that I received on the photo:

Dear Paul,
We are Dandelion Hope Foundation in Taiwan(www.dhf.org.tw); our foundation publishes magazines for free, which are composed of short and touching story. We have found your photo unique and fit for our magazine, therefore,
we would like to inquire your authorization and the original photo to use the photo both in our magazine and website.
We look forward to receiving your reply.
Our email:editor@dhf.org.tw
Yours Faithfully,
Dandelion Hope Foundation

I really don't have any problem giving these people permission to use my photo, I'm not trying to make any money off of photography. My question is, should I even mess with this or just ignore it? Could any harm come of giving permission?

Here is a link to the photo if you are curious:

Survivor Tree | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

03-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I ran their page through the Bing translator and the translation was "interesting". But they do seem to be legit so I can see no harm in letting them have the image. But they should give attribution on it. I sometimes give images to environmental groups and other entities to use in educational materials. It raises my profile in my field, which is good enough for me. Look at it as profile and it becomes a different decision.
03-04-2014, 07:22 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

My 2c: give them the OK, but:

- ask for attribution;
- make it clear copyright remains with you;
- say they may only use the image on their website (dhf.org.tw) and in their magazine;
- explicitly prohibit them from re-selling or re-licensing the image (eg for stock or any other commercial purposes) without further approval from you;
- say the approval to use the image lasts only for one year, and they can only use it in Taiwan (if they want to extend usage past those limitations, they have to ask you again).

Sometimes it's also useful to make sure that you don't find yourself associated (via image attribution or a watermark ) with bad things. So it can also be prudent to specify that the image(s) you are providing should not be used in any context which may be defamatory, sexually explicit, involve drug use, acts of violence, or any other illegal activity. Etc. Probably not an issue with the image in question, but you never know.
03-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks to you both! I definitely wanted to have some good wording in the e-mail response to protect myself and you all gave me some good suggestions. I really appreciate it!

03-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey, they asked--that's a good thing right there. Know what I'm sayin'?
03-04-2014, 07:37 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Hey, they asked--that's a good thing right there. Know what I'm sayin'?
Exactly! I think it is probably a good sign that they are not up to no good. If they were, they would have probably just taken it.
03-04-2014, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #7
Banned

'Survivor Tree' That Withstood 9/11 Attacks Returns to WTC to Grow on Memorial Plaza

QuoteQuote:
Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, 9/11 Memorial President Joe Daniels, Department of Parks and Recreation Commissioner Adrian Benepe and Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Executive Director Chris Ward today planted the “survivor tree,” marking its homecoming to the World Trade Center site. Bloomberg, who is Chairman of the 9/11 Memorial, also announced the completion of structural steel for the 9/11 Memorial Museum Pavilion.

9/11 survivors Keating Crown, Tom Canavan and Ret. FDNY Lt. Mickey Kross also attended the planting of the Survivor Tree.

The callery pear tree became known as the Survivor Tree after sustaining extensive damage, but living through the September 11, 2001, terror attacks at the World Trade Center. In October 2001, the tree with lifeless limbs, snapped roots and blackened trunk was discovered and freed from the piles of smoldering rubble in the plaza of the World Trade Center. The tree was originally planted in the 1970s in the vicinity of buildings four and five in the WTC complex near Church Street.

The damaged tree measured eight-feet tall when it arrived in November 2001 at the Parks Department’s Arthur Ross Nursery in Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx. It was nursed back to health and today has grown to a height of about 30 feet. The tree returned to the site this morning from Van Cortlandt Park by a flatbed truck.
https://www.911memorial.org/blog/survivor-tree-withstood-911-attacks-returns...laza-update-x3

9/11 ?Survivor Tree? Spreads its Branches Over the World Trade Center Once Again - Downtown - DNAinfo.com New York

03-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #8

Original Poster
It is a beautiful tree, and it is amazing to see what it looks like now when you compare it to it's condition when it was found!

03-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've allowed a couple places to use photos. The one using the most is a wildlife sanctuary/preserve in Michigan interested in wildflower and insect pictures. They used some of my images on signs, and always print attributions. They do good work, I'm happy to help.
03-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Definitely lay out the terms for usage and ask for attribution. That's no-cost on their part, but could lead to other sales for you.
03-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is completely amazing! Something that I learned last year at Disney's Flower & Garden Festival is that early Disney horticulturists were instrumental in developing & refining techniques to successfully move & transplant large trees. Like most of Disney's endeavors, Walt had a vision & Roy was often the one who dealt with the logistics of pulling it off. Walt wanted mature landscaping on opening day.