Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jeez. I like to use a Spotmatic and Takumar every now and then because I know a series of Japanese men in white short-sleeved shirts and black pants sat at tables in front of parts trays and assembled them - and that kind of hand assembly doesn't happen any more for plain consumer items (Yeah, if I was rich I could get an AMG Mercedes and meet the two guys who BUILT IT start to finish) and I have a sentimental attachment to my imagined company men.

The deal today is, how do we find that place between the AMG Mercedes and the DA50/1.8 where there's enough hand assembly skill to appreciate the care and skill and enough machine work to restrain the price a bit. I think that place is the FA Limiteds (as opposed to the DA Limiteds) because they are also such special, unique designs.

Losing that would just be one more dumbing down of life, one more loss of the rich fabric of variety that had been available to us before the advent of 'Productivity' and the financial crisis.

Becalm thyselves. It sounds to me as if this has been a rumor made in a whirlwind. Nothing is going to happen soon.

</rant>

03-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #47
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
... Its not even "technology advancement". Its just consumerism. ...

That summarises it all. The whole problem is rooted not in real progress, but in unadulterated consumerism.