Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I think KR suits the description 'baffoon' much better (A ridiculous but amusing person) than someone who has not disabled the AF sound.

03-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
You can safely ignore anything that Ken Rockwell says about anything.
Yet he has been invoked on this very forum, and by an optical engineer, no less, to advocate for the FA 31:
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
When Ken Rockwell says a non-Nikon lens is the best ever made (he was refering to the Pentax 31) then I consider the case closed.
03-15-2014, 09:48 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Empty vessels make the most noise.
03-15-2014, 10:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

He might get paid for taking pictures, but on the web, he's just a content-producer. Content-producers have to produce content even when the stream of raw material is running dry. I think he's just winging it half the time. Either that, or he's half crocked at his computer. Has he drunk-dialed anyone here to thank them for dropping his name?

03-15-2014, 10:59 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
He's a pompous windbag idiot who doesn't know diddly but who thinks he's a seasoned pro. Every now and again he says something that makes some sense but he's usually too busy touting how great he is and how much of an expert he is to really listen to himself. I honestly don't know why he get paid to blog reviews at all. He can't given an unbiased opinion to save his life. Most of what he says is just bull.
03-15-2014, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
He might get paid for taking pictures,
...and he might not.

03-15-2014, 11:26 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
It's amazing that someone can make a little bit of a living spewing nonsense like that.
Actually, I've been told by someone who knows him that he makes a very good living off of it.

03-16-2014, 12:12 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Actually, I've been told by someone who knows him that he makes a very good living off of it.
Fools & their money...
03-16-2014, 12:12 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Rockwell is a man who makes his living from his photography website. In order to add hits and thus advertisement income, he posts whatever controversial crap he feels might do the trick. He even more or less admits it on his website. So every time somebody on the web links to his website or even mentions him like this, it just adds traffic to his BS website and he wins. So how about just ignoring him?
03-16-2014, 03:06 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I just read another of his pages on How to Spot an Amateur.
I think he's just a comedian, he can't possibly be serious..

Some comic gems :
Backpack
Photographers don't carry their gear in backpacks because they can't shoot out of them.
Using a tripod in daylight
Someone shooting with a DSLR on a tripod in daylight probably has a few screws loose.
Beepers
Only a buffoon leaves the AF confirmation beeper ON.
Camera brand strap showing logo
Who wants to advertise for no pay?
Clean gear
Every amateur buys a brand-new DSLR, and that's fine.

So yeh, just from that page alone I'm convinced he's just a comic writer. He probably writes most of the articles at NCN.
According to Mr. Rockwell, I'm a pro!

Where's my money?
03-16-2014, 03:18 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the internet, you get mentioned, reposted and payed attention to most when you are controversial and polarizing. This is the way with Ken and he is quite good at that. Not all of what he says is silly, but the people who are most enamored with him probably just take everything he says as gospel truth. And that's too bad, because some of the things he says (like not using a tripod) actually can get in the way of getting great photos.
03-16-2014, 05:00 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
According to Mr. Rockwell, I'm a pro!

Where's my money?
According to Mr. Rockwell you don't want to be a pro, because pros have to pay more for insurance.

Pros are taking pictures all day everyday. Mr. Rockwell updates his webpage all day everyday...
03-16-2014, 05:45 AM   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
Is Ken Rockwell a troll
If he is or not really doesn't matter, his posts often make me smile, so perhaps it's all just a bit of fun.
03-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
He has an opinion, like most people, and is entitled to them... even if much of his site's information is aging. And that is my opinion, of which I'm entitled.
Opinions and ass holes......everyone has them but that doesn't mean that everyone wants to see them
Opinions and ass holes.....a lot of the latter have the former and they usually stink

BTW, that's directed at Rockwell not mee

Last edited by Mike L; 03-16-2014 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Clarifying who I was insulting
03-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I just read another of his pages on How to Spot an Amateur.
I think he's just a comedian, he can't possibly be serious..

Some comic gems :
Backpack
Photographers don't carry their gear in backpacks because they can't shoot out of them.
Using a tripod in daylight
Someone shooting with a DSLR on a tripod in daylight probably has a few screws loose.
Beepers
Only a buffoon leaves the AF confirmation beeper ON.
Camera brand strap showing logo
Who wants to advertise for no pay?
Clean gear
Every amateur buys a brand-new DSLR, and that's fine.

So yeh, just from that page alone I'm convinced he's just a comic writer. He probably writes most of the articles at NCN.

I read that some months ago and I found the thing hilarious
Closed Thread