Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
Closed Account

How to carry an extra lens?

I have started making a few bucks taking real estate photos. My problem is that I carry an extra lens or two (e.g., a wide angle) and switch for different rooms/views. Same problem in the field, where I use my walk around zoom, but occasionally switch to a macro. I have not found a convenient method for lugging around just an extra lens or two. Any suggestions? Has anyone had any experience with some sort of belt with lens hangers? I see some ads, but they always seem to have two cameras hanging on them, not lenses. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Will

03-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i have a LowePro belt system where you can add as many lens lens pouches/cases as you need. One big lens case can hold two or three little ones stacked end to end.

I also have a photo vest which carries a surprisingly large number of lenses and other accessories on my person.

Also, cargo pants with those big flap pockets. Can get lenses in those easily.

FYI, don't wear more than one of these garments at a time or people will notice.
03-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by theWags Quote
Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Will
A simple fanny pack? (in the pocket, not the water bottle hole).
03-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #4

Lowepro has great lens cases that are easy to access, rugged, reasonable in price, and, they will attach via a flap with super secure Velcro either to a strap on a case or holster or to your belt. I have lots of 'em old and new and have been well-pleased in use. They now have only 3 sizes, but would guess they have one that would work for you.

Lens Cases Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

03-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Why not just a small shoulder bag? I have a Tenba Small Satchel and it'd be perfect for carrying three lenses if you're not using it to store the camera. If you have the camera body and lens on a sling strap and the shoulder bag with a few lenses it in, you could have at least four to choose from. I usually carry a body and three lenses in it and it's a tiny bag.
03-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photo vest is the easiest if you don't mind the look. And since you are working then maybe that's a good thing as it indicates you are a 'pro' not somebody off the street. An alternative is the excellent Lowepro lens cases, they have a nice velcro strap that goes over your belt, one or two of those is small and inconspicuous. I have an old leather 'fanny pack' that holds 2 lenses comfortably and often use that. I hate shoulder bags of any sort when I'm working, they just don't work for me although I have a sling bag I use when hiking. YMMV
03-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use a small camcorder bag for two additional lenses. It has belt loops, and a carry it on a solid nylon belt--so, no pressure on my spine. On the same belt I have a nice metal hook--$2 on ebay--on which I keep my camera when not shooting. The camera is attached to a long shoulder strap, for safety. The belt does an excellent job taking the load off my aching back. The bag I have is a $10 Amazon Basics product which unfortunately doesn't seem to be offered on amazon.com any more...

Last edited by causey; 03-21-2014 at 10:32 AM.
03-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theWags Quote
I have started making a few bucks taking real estate photos. My problem is that I carry an extra lens or two (e.g., a wide angle) and switch for different rooms/views. Same problem in the field, where I use my walk around zoom, but occasionally switch to a macro. I have not found a convenient method for lugging around just an extra lens or two. Any suggestions? Has anyone had any experience with some sort of belt with lens hangers? I see some ads, but they always seem to have two cameras hanging on them, not lenses. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Will
When I know I'll be using just 2 lenses (or one specific lens predominately + plus "others"), I take 2 bodies. That minimizes or eliminates fiddling with changing lenses at all.
Surprisingly, I've found that things balance better with two bodies, rather than just a lens dangling from my hip.
Granted, almost all of my lenses require 77-82mm filters, so they aren't small, but 2 cross slung bodies are really easy to use.
They also make vests and other gear specifically for the dual body shooter.
I actually got the idea from a couple older pros I was lucky enough to tag along with early in my digital days.
03-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
Banned

I have a Nikon photo vest that could carry lenses in it's large pockets.
03-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

InVest?

Hello Will, welcome to the Forum!
All good suggestions so far, I'll toss in my idea. Since you're working when doing the real estate photos, a vest would look professional, fits over virtually any other garb and, you can toss it in the trunk when you're off the job. Also, keep in the trunk, an extra small camera/fanny/sling bag, empty. Everyone who owns more than four lenses must have at least 3 camera bags,, it's a rule. Trust me.
So, when it's time for more than a single camera/lens, you have a choice. Everything's right next to the tripod.
Of course, I'm not recommending you leave any real camera gear in the car, just the vest and empty bag.
Ron
03-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

A second camera body and and a blackrapid double sling? that's how I do it.
03-29-2014, 07:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I agree with 2 bodies that's the pro way.

Single body and 2 lenses sounds great, after all its what interchangeable lenses seems to be about, but if your making money then you need a second body, if the body suffered a failure needing a repair could you afford to not earn for a month waiting for it to be fixed.

2 bodies is just naturally right, and you don't keep having to swap lenses subjecting your sensor to dust issues your 2 lenses just stay fixed.

Second hand bodies are cheap off ebay, it makes sense.
04-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see why one would need two bodies to take real estate pictures... it's not like the house will move the other way if you take a minute to change your lenses.

Anyway, the answer to this question is obvious to any Pentaxian that likes his/her prime lenses: your pants or jacket pockets, of course!!
04-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Pair of cargo or tactical pants (or Scott-e-vest pants perhaps??). The big pockets work great for lenses.

Alternatively, get a photographers vest.
My wife got me one at a rummage sale and I wear it all the time. The pockets are padded, and distributes the weight in such a way that I don't usually carry a camera bag any more... even when I have three extra lenses plus a flash, batteries, bottle of water, etc... .
04-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't see how your missing the point, an interchangeable lens system exists to give you a choice of lenses not to allow hurried lens changes.

I see every day worried photographers who have dropped their lens or camera or both during a lens change. I see photographers with dirt on their sensor due to so many lens swaps. I have even seen a photographer who wore the chrome off his lens mount due the number of lens changes hes done with it.

Some photographers shoot 800 images a day, if 20% need a lens change that's 40 lens changes a day, 40 times the amount of dirt inside the camera, 40 chances to drop his gear.

You really cant see the sense of simply fitting your lenses once in the morning and never touching them all day?

Not to mention spreading the images between 2 bodies and batteries giving twice as many shots.

Not to mention having a backup camera with you round your neck if one fails, you keep shooting and never miss the shot.

Its a personal choice and my opinion is no more important than yours, but to suggest the reason for having a second body is all about whether your subject moves or not seems a little inconsidered.