Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Business Help Needed

I am a part time Pet Photographer. I was reently hired to photograph a woman and her pets for her blog/website. Normally I offer the Session for $200.00 then they purchase products with the final images such as prints, canvas, etc. which is extra(not included in session fee).

If she is going to use my images then I would request she use watermarked ones, but if does not agree to that then what would I charge for exclusive rights to the images for use on her blog/website?

Is there a contract that i should have her sign?

Thanks,
Debbie
Yellow Mutt Pet Photography - Cat and Dog Photographer in Seattle

04-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your images have value and the key to a good client/photographer relationship is for you both to agree on the present and future value of your images. If you think she will use your images to promote her brand or business,then the fee for the exclusive use of your images should reflect that upward. I wouldn't get too wound up about a watermark--in many commercial contexts (as well as journalism) it is not appropriate. Even getting a credit in many commercial applications is not appropriate--but goodwill and word-of-mouth will serve you well.

Yes you should have a contract outlining the rights you are selling. You should be using this (with room for a few different rights situations) with all your clients. Standard contracts should be searchable online, or contact a photography instructor at a local tech school or community college for guidance.

M
04-20-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SashasMom Quote
I am a part time Pet Photographer. I was reently hired to photograph a woman and her pets for her blog/website. Normally I offer the Session for $200.00 then they purchase products with the final images such as prints, canvas, etc. which is extra(not included in session fee).

If she is going to use my images then I would request she use watermarked ones, but if does not agree to that then what would I charge for exclusive rights to the images for use on her blog/website?

Is there a contract that i should have her sign?

Thanks,
Debbie
Yellow Mutt Pet Photography - Cat and Dog Photographer in Seattle

How much would you usually get from the prints?

I would not insist on the watermark, I would probably make sure my name was in the exif though; although it could/would likely be removed when she downsizes.

I'd charge a bit more and then be done with it.