Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Patenting gone crazy: Amazon patents studio lighting technique

Amazon?s latest patent is sillier than the peanut butter sandwich patent | Ars Technica

The "Studio Arrangement" patent
QuoteQuote:
...includes: "A front light source aimed at a background, an image capture position located between the background and the front light source, an elevated platform positioned between the image capture position and the background, and at least one rear light source positioned between the elevated platform and the background."
Oy.

05-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is crazy
05-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

More modern dipshittery
05-09-2014, 12:03 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone should stop this foolish stuff by lodging a patent for "a general method to make money by lodging stupid patents and then patent trolling". Crazy patent foolery will bring down the whole system very soon. It just cannot get any more ridiculous than some of the actions going on such as For world?s biggest troll, first patent case ends up in tatters | Ars Technica

05-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #5

I was just coming to post about this...
My first thought was how this will screw all the little guys who do product shots for the stuff they sale, but it sounds pretty specific and easily avoidable, but seriously who's gonna monitor this, and does EXIF capture the number of lights/flashes used?

here's a little more...
Did Amazon just patent the seamless background setup?: Digital Photography Review
us8676045 - Photography lighting (Amazon) - Issued Patent - PRIOR ART REQUEST - Ask Patents
05-12-2014, 06:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This patent is most likely indefensible and unenforceable since the general method predates the creation of Amazon by at least a hundred years. That the Patent Office actually granted it is evidence that no one there actually reads what they are approving or has any idea what they are doing. I'll keep using my studio lights and seamless backgrounds as I like without fear of Amazon and their "patent."

Harley Davidson once tried to patent the sound of their V-twin engine.... potato potato potato... basically the sound that every v-twin engine made makes... They LOST!
05-12-2014, 06:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
This patent is most likely indefensible and unenforceable since the general method predates the creation of Amazon by at least a hundred years. That the Patent Office actually granted it is evidence that no one there actually reads what they are approving or has any idea what they are doing. I'll keep using my studio lights and seamless backgrounds as I like without fear of Amazon and their "patent."

Harley Davidson once tried to patent the sound of their V-twin engine.... potato potato potato... basically the sound that every v-twin engine made makes... They LOST!
While we can laugh at this sort of Tom-foolery, the trouble for the rest of the world is that any country having a Free Trade Agreement with the US is liable to fall into the net created by this sort of nonsense, because without recognition of US patents, you don't get an FTA.

I thought the different sound of the H-D V-twin arose from the cheapskate arrangement of both cylinders sharing one crank-pin. I read a review once that said the H-D sound is like an industrial fart, compared with the melodious throb of the Moto Guzzi California, a couple of metaphors I can appreciate, having heard both.

05-12-2014, 07:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's very expensive and legally time consuming to overturn a patent. I suspect Amazon filed this as a defense patent. It's likely to be ignored broadly (for obvious reasons) and Amazon won't expend any effort enforcing it. But if someone tries to sue Amazon over a patent issue, they'll fire right back.

Or, I could be wrong. These are the folks with the "One-Click ordering" patent, which they HAVE enforced.
05-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a patent for a procedure, not an object. I didn't even know that you could do that. Since you obviously can, maybe someone should patent the procedure for warehousing merchandise from multiple retailers and selling the merchandise on their behalf. Then send Amazon a Cease and Desist order.

Mike is right in that it is indefensible. If patents and copyrights are not jealously defended by the holder, they become public domain. This is why you hear of stories like Disney suing a mom-and-pop grocery store for having a picture of Mickey Mose eating a doughnut painted on their wall. If they don't defend it, they loose it.
Amazon would have to sue virtually every creator of every product ad in publication.
05-12-2014, 08:26 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So can I sue Amazon for handling the order I placed last year for a Studio Lighting Kit that included (among other things) a while backdrop, 8 fluourescent natural light bulbs, 4 small can lights and stands, two large umbrellas, lights and stands, four reflectors, 8 spring clips and a folding table?
05-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Ahhh, guys,....
First up, lets be glad they didn't try to patent 3-point lighting,...
What they have done though, and I bet it's what they're really aiming for, is patent a lighting technique that is nearly identical to that of Green Screen Lighting, so if they can get that passed too, they could demand royalties from all the major film distributors,.... Or block film distribution through Amazon for any film production that doesn't comply.
I'm betting Hollywood's lawyers are going to be rubbing thier hands together thinking of all the money they'll be making from a new income source.

And Indie films will be the first to drop any Behind Scenes DVD extras, to stop anyone from seeing how their shots were lit.
05-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If patents and copyrights are not jealously defended by the holder, they become public domain. This is why you hear of stories like Disney suing a mom-and-pop grocery store for having a picture of Mickey Mose eating a doughnut painted on their wall. If they don't defend it, they loose it.
Copyrights do not have to be defended and items do not become public domain due to lack of enforcement -- ever. They expire when they expire, according to the various laws. (http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf)

Patents also do not have to be defended to remain effective. This is part of the problem with patent trolls -- they buy up patents that weren't defended and are in general use and then try to sue everyone. Reform is much needed here. (General Information Concerning Patents)

Trademarks, however, DO have to be defended. If you do not defend it, it is considered abandoned. Unlike patents and copyrights, trademarks are based on use, not registration. Underwood's devil was trademarked in 1870, and is still in use and still valid for that reason. Disney has trademarked Mickey Mouse, hence why they aggressively pursue violations. Films featuring MM, however, are copyrighted.
05-12-2014, 01:30 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
Copyrights do not have to be defended and items do not become public domain due to lack of enforcement -- ever. They expire when they expire, according to the various laws. (http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf)

Patents also do not have to be defended to remain effective. This is part of the problem with patent trolls -- they buy up patents that weren't defended and are in general use and then try to sue everyone. Reform is much needed here. (General Information Concerning Patents)

Trademarks, however, DO have to be defended. If you do not defend it, it is considered abandoned. Unlike patents and copyrights, trademarks are based on use, not registration. Underwood's devil was trademarked in 1870, and is still in use and still valid for that reason. Disney has trademarked Mickey Mouse, hence why they aggressively pursue violations. Films featuring MM, however, are copyrighted.
These wrongs will likely not be corrected, however, because adjudicating the complaints is the business of law and something like 90% of our Senators and Representatives have a law degree.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-13-2014 at 06:52 AM.
05-13-2014, 05:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm not surprised at all.

It seems to me to be the logical result of a culture and society who's values have elevated the idea of property, and particularly private property, to the level of religious dogma.
Water and air can't be far behind.

Last edited by wildman; 05-13-2014 at 05:45 AM.
05-13-2014, 06:55 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
I'm not surprised at all.

It seems to me to be the logical result of a culture and society who's values have elevated the idea of property, and particularly private property, to the level of religious dogma.
Water and air can't be far behind.
OTOH, everyone who dies of necesity drank water and breathed air, so both should be government regulated, for the general good, as causal elements of death - with 100% certainty.