Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If they like them then I wouldn't burst their bubble. Let them enjoy the photos, and maybe if they mention using the same photographer, offer a subtle, "Oh really?" and wait for them to knock on the door of your infinite wisdom.

If they have some doubts and concerns, I'd either offer my opinion tactfully or if they knew full well that I was a photographer, I'd wait for them to ask.

05-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #17

This sounds like what I go through with website design. It amazes me what people pay for...but I have learned to keep my mouth shut...I'll let someone else spoil their happiness...
05-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Personally, I need better friends than that - not the kind that let me walk around all day with my fly open.
That's a ridiculous parallel and confrontational response.
Keep it 'friendly'.
05-22-2014, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Personally I go around my office all the time looking at co-workers' family photos. If a family member is unattractive I make sure to let the coworker know.

05-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

A completely innocent sounding "Whoa, didn't jamie used to have cute freckles? Where did they go?" would be my response.
05-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
That's a ridiculous parallel and confrontational response.
Keep it 'friendly'.
We simply have different ideas about how to function in a friendship.

BTW, I think your fly's down.
05-22-2014, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by miltona580 Quote
I recently had an interesting situation. I had some friends post some pictures to Facebook of their kids that was done by a professional photographer. However, the work is just bad. The kids are photoshopped so bad a lot of their facial details are gone - like the little girl lost her freckles. The colors are also different in every single picture - it looks like the kids change skin tones between pictures. So would you point out how bad these pictures are, or would you let them continue on in their happiness?

---------- Post added 05-22-14 at 02:43 PM ----------

There's also some really weird shadows going on. It's obvious the photographer needed to shoot with a reflector and did not.
How much did your friend pay? Just because they hired a professional doesn't mean they hired top quality. I've seen a lot of $300.00 shoots that yielded 1,000 plastic skinned jpegs. Canon Rebel Professionals tend to be the worst offenders. Did she get what she paid for is the question?

I assume you are pretty serious about photography to be posting here. Does your friend know you are serious about photography? Approach them by expressing your general interest in the hobby. Ask them what they liked and disliked about the work. Once you get the conversation going you can ask about specifics like the freckles. Its surprising how many women like the over PS'ed plastic look for skin. They want to look like fake dolls. Its possible your friend paid very little and is happy with what they got.

You can always say that you know someone else who is looking for a photographer and ask your friend if they would recommend this photographer.

05-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
You can always say that you know someone else who is looking for a photographer and ask your friend if they would recommend this photographer.

"Hi, a guy I know is looking for someone to take photos of his kids. Didn't you hire somebody recently?"

"Yeah, we did, and he's done a great job!"

"He has? I've seen those photos and they are crap. Would you really recommend that guy?"

That would be considered trolling on the Internet.
05-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #24
Veteran Member

You could ask if your friend would like some more pictures because you would appreciate some family models who have been photographed before and If they agree you have a chance to give them decent images with out saying any thing that might cause friction, or upset.

Unfortunately the ,what I call , facebook standard of photography is becoming the accepted base standard and more and more people accept poor images as being ok.
05-23-2014, 06:59 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Forget about it.

There is no good reason for you to point out to your friend who've already spent nonrefundable money as to why they wasted the moneys.

Heck, I see friends hire other pros all the time, with interesting results. Should I tell them they should have hired me? They knew me, they know i do photography , and yet they hired a wedding pro who put 3 photographers to block the view of all the wedding guests by standing in a half circle around the bride and groom around the altar. *sigh*

Well, as long as they are happy .
05-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I would forget about it too. Especially if I suspect they are happy with the pictures. When I was a cabinet maker I saw lots of cheap furniture, I wouldn't have and any friends left if I told everyone what bad decisions they were making all the time, especially when you see the cost of really well made furniture. IN a way, I really liked interior decorators who knew my work. They could sort of pre-screen people and act as a go between. They knew what budget their clients had and if my work would fit into it. I have been around people who criticized the work of others who do what they do. it always puts you in a tough spot. The question that comes to mind is, "Do they have a legitimate concern, or are they just looking for business." And 9 times out of 10, they are just looking of business. I've had a couple of acquaintances put me in that position, and I really didn't like it.

It does remind me of series of events.

I had a beautiful Tiger Striped Maple coffee table I made, curved front and drawers, my daughter still has it in her living room. One of my cabinet making buddies came over and said something about the finish. Now I'd researched the finish, found out what the traditional way to finish this wood, often used for the backs of violins, and gone to great effort to use a treatment that emphasized the grain and patterns. My buddy wanted to strip that an apply a stain that actually would have de-emphasized the grain. Personally I found his comment both rude and technically inaccurate, and was a little surprised since part of his income came from restoring antiques of his lack of knowledge of the finsih I'd used. But then my father-in-law was curator of the Canadian collection at the national Museum in Ottawa so I had access to information not available to the general public.

Next time I went to his house I thought I'd put in a little dig to get back at him, He had this big almost quarter round cabinet with glass doors, that was simply a monstrosity that wouldn't have looked good in a room 4 times the size. I said " That cabinet really dominates the room." He said "oh thanks for saying so." and smiled the rest of the afternoon. That's when I realized, if you're going poke someone with a stick, make sure it has a point.
05-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Canon Rebel Professionals tend to be the worst offenders.
So many people think they are pro's...and it's not just regulated to the Canon Rebel's either...I've seen some high-end equipment produce less than stellar results...

But let's not forget that there are very demanding clients - I've seen families demand this shot or that (just like web clients who want animated gifs, or blinking text) and sometimes it's just easier to give them what they want, vs trying to explain to them how bad their judgement is.
05-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There isn't any point to saying something negative. I just can't think of a good outcome from something like that and can think of a lot of ways such comments could be taken negatively. If there is a nicely done photo, mention that and certainly if the photography skill is lacking, the kids are still cute.

I got a Christmas card last year from a family that had been desaturated to the point where people looked like zombies. Odd to me, but I guess if they were happy enough to make it their Christmas photo, so be it...
05-23-2014, 07:51 AM   #29
Pentaxian

People always see things in their own pictures, that you as a photographer don't.
05-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i would only comment if they come to you and ask for your professional feedback. otherwise, shut up and let them be happy with their freckle-less child.
It only makes you look defensive.
This. ^^

Negativity rarely reflects well on the person delivering it, even if it might be deserved.