Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had a similar things happen with a friend's wedding-- Best to keep your mouth shut. Unless you've shot weddings or portraits for money, you don't technically have a professional opinion. If they were good friends and you were a professional, then they weren't good enough friends to hire you.

If you really want to, just give them a small portfolio of your own, and mention that you feel bad about how difficult it is to find quality photographers, and if they're interested, reshoot for them for free. That'll get you more respect and potential referrals than being a dick about it.

05-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
I had a similar things happen with a friend's wedding-- Best to keep your mouth shut. Unless you've shot weddings or portraits for money, you don't technically have a professional opinion. If they were good friends and you were a professional, then they weren't good enough friends to hire you.

If you really want to, just give them a small portfolio of your own, and mention that you feel bad about how difficult it is to find quality photographers, and if they're interested, reshoot for them for free. That'll get you more respect and potential referrals than being a dick about it.
The "are you willing to do it for free" is the big part. Usually, I don't charge my friends money for helping out, and they don't charge me when they help me out. There's a difference between people who are after my money and "friends." At least in my world. And there's a reason for that. I'm not going to lose friends because they aren't happy with something I've done for them. if I did it for free, then at least it didn't cost them anything. If they paid me money and for whatever reason they aren't happy with the results then we've created a hurdle in our friendship. I prefer to just not go there.

An ex GF father owned an ad agency in Toronto and hired Richard Avedon to do a photoshoot. 2k a day, no refunds, no retakes. At the end of it he felt Avedon's work wasn't worth it and said so often. I offered to buy the prints from him after all, they were Avedon originals, well no, they were crap but he wouldn't part with them. So what was going on there. I think the guy was trying to build himself up as some great expert on the value of photography by putting down the greatest, while at the same time realizing, he had something unique. So he said stuff like "he wasn't wroth 2k a day. Meaning , well maybe he was worth 1.75k a day, but definitely not 2k, pulleeeese. You really have to work hard to understand what these critical statements mean, no matter who says them.

Your friend could take your criticism many different ways. He could take it as meaning..

-you have no appreciation of anyone's work but your own.
- You're looking for his business.
- You think you know more than this "professional" when obviously you don't.

Most of the possible things your friend could think, do not reflect well on you.
05-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Your friend could take your criticism many different ways. He could take it as meaning..

- you have no appreciation of anyone's work but your own.
- You're looking for his business.
- You think you know more than this "professional" when obviously you don't.

Most of the possible things your friend could think, do not reflect well on you.
Even more so if your friend knew you were a photographer and already considered and decided against you on their way to selecting their family photog.
05-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Since the OP is a hobbiest some of the remarks given don' t apply here.

There's none of those complications like when you sell a used car to a friend or relative. He was never an alternative pro photographer here.

He's a friend, but an outsider to the business transaction.

05-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I will side with everyone's opinion on this thread - that is "don't do it... you have very little to gain but a lot to lose and... likely even your friendship".

My view on photography is a very subjective thing... some people are just happy to have an image - could be a crappy blurry one as they have no awareness of compositions, lighting and photo details. And I don't even talk a lot about gear as well since it is sensitive subject and people are highly defensive on their equipment purchase decision (you don't want to go there).

When people approaches me for advice, I can offer some words of encouragement such as "your photos can only be as good as you want to be and the camera is only a tool, the choice of tool is really up to you".
05-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm going to leave it alone. I'm also just a skilled amateur. I've thought about going professional, but have not done it yet (and probably won't). Thanks for the advice guys!
05-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmerchant Quote
But let's not forget that there are very demanding clients - I've seen families demand this shot or that (just like web clients who want animated gifs, or blinking text) and sometimes it's just easier to give them what they want, vs trying to explain to them how bad their judgement is.
Which is why its important to have a clear contract and and set clear expectations about what you can and will provide. Never be afraid to walk away from a job and tell the client that its not a good fit for you.

05-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I will side with everyone's opinion on this thread - that is "don't do it... you have very little to gain but a lot to lose and... likely even your friendship".
This is what the OP said he's going to do, which is fine, but there were a few "everyone's" who didn't agree with your statement. It would be nice not to be discounted as if we didn't exist - just say we were wrong, or we're the minority, or something like that.

Last edited by DSims; 05-23-2014 at 04:54 PM.
05-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
This is what the OP said he's going to do, which is fine, but there were a few "everyone's" who didn't agree with your statement. It would be nice not to be discounted as if we didn't exist - just say we were wrong, or we're the minority, or something like that.
DSims, thanks for the correction; I should have said, "I will side with the majority of respondents... etc." Perhaps, that's why I can never be a politician.... hehe
05-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
DSims, thanks for the correction; I should have said, "I will side with the majority of respondents... etc." Perhaps, that's why I can never be a politician.... hehe
Thanks. Now that we exist again, you can say our idea's idiotic (or whatever you like)!
05-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Its mostly been said and I agree with all comments to one degree or another.

This is the most common situation ive seen so many times.

1 Family decides to have pictures done, shall we go with Fred the amateur who has done good work, but hes not a professional and we think a professional is really the best with an important job like out family portraits. So they choose the professional.

2 The Family aren't happy but the pictures are ok, they have learned to find a better professional next time, but still don't want to risk important photographs in the hands of an amateur.

This is like if your Ford pickup breaks down, would you take it to fred who does his own servicing and repairs to his GM pickup or find a repairshop. You find a repairshop.

Forget the portraits they've had done, don't mention them. Approach them and say, Hey im a photographer as you know and ive been thinking of maybe turning pro, would you consider helping me out. I could take some family portraits, I will do them for free of course because your helping me.

And see if they will let you and of course you do a much better job.

If they don't like what you do, hey they feel good about helping you and it cost them nothing anyway. If they like what you do they'll be really happy and show your work proudly.

You will be an even better friend to them and nobody gets hurt.

And if your asked for your opinion about those portraits they have already had done, simply say they are in a different style to yours, you go a more natural look.

It gives the an out, nobody likes to admit they've wasted money, so have the good grace to allow them to come out of this feeling ok about it all and about themselves.