Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2014, 01:27 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Selling Digital Photos of Sports Events

I attend most of our local athletics track and field events and have permission by the organisers to walk around the facility to take photos of the runners, throwers and jumpers.

Many of the athletes have approached me, asking whether they can buy copies of photos that I have taken of them.

Can anyone recommend a simple, but effective, way of displaying my photos online (by event) for the athletes to browse and purchase online? At this stage I only want to sell downloadable digital images, not prints.

The site must prevent anyone from downloading or scanning photos without buying them, either by means of watermarks or thumbnails.

I am not a professional photographer, so this will be a little bit of extra money on the side, and I don't want to spend too much on the site itself.

07-01-2014, 03:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Neville Quote
I attend most of our local athletics track and field events and have permission by the organisers to walk around the facility to take photos of the runners, throwers and jumpers.

Many of the athletes have approached me, asking whether they can buy copies of photos that I have taken of them.

Can anyone recommend a simple, but effective, way of displaying my photos online (by event) for the athletes to browse and purchase online? At this stage I only want to sell downloadable digital images, not prints.

The site must prevent anyone from downloading or scanning photos without buying them, either by means of watermarks or thumbnails.

I am not a professional photographer, so this will be a little bit of extra money on the side, and I don't want to spend too much on the site itself.
Neville:
Lots of folks I know use Smugmug.
Photo Sharing. Stunning Photo Websites. | SmugMug
07-01-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
Banned

Build a Website - Squarespace

---------- Post added 07-01-14 at 10:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Amegalo Quote
Neville:
Lots of folks I know use Smugmug.
Photo Sharing. Stunning Photo Websites. | SmugMug
https://blog.squarespace.com/blog/smugmug
http://www.mattk.com/2013/02/25/ive-found-my-favorite-photography-portfolio-...t-squarespace/

Last edited by jogiba; 07-01-2014 at 07:09 AM.
07-01-2014, 07:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Allowing for digital downloads alone with a shopping cart is a fairly sophisticated function that will cost some to make happen.

Smugmug Pro works well for this. Use this referral code so we both become billionaires:xPI9SdaEvawTU

M

07-01-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

A buddy of mine used to work like this for charity golf tournaments and the like... he'd take images of the foursomes coming off the course ship the film off to a local photo finisher, and have the prints ready by the end of the banquet....he charged $25 to $50 a print (5x7 or 8x10) and could make $1600 in a weekend. Often he'd hire one of my photography students to take the photos and pay him or her $800 for the day, and still make good money himself at the larger events. I've often wondered why more people aren't set up for this. The advantage to his way of doing it was the prints were paid for and delivered on the same day, meaning no processing and time spent later, overhead.

The advantages....
1. People are much more likely to buy on the day.
2. A quick delivery time makes it an impulse purchase, not a "will it fit into my budget" purchase.
3. What I did this weekend pictures are best shared as soon as possible after the event.... what I did yesterday is much more impressive than "here's a picture of me taken last month".

I know some great photographers who use smugmug, and they all tell me, they don't make enough money from the site to pay for the site's costs. And the issue now becomes, with the passing of time, how many of the people who wanted the picture that day... still want them today. With every day passing, it will be fewer and fewer of them.

SO from my perspective, you've got a real uphill battle going on here.
07-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Zenfolio for this and sell low res photos pretty cheap for people to use on social media. I usually make $5-800 for our big annual mountain bike race here, mostly via the downloads. Zenfolio has a free month trial so what I did was set up the trial before the event and by the time my month was up I had covered the cost of a year on that site. I'm pretty happy with them and I don't have to touch anything once the photos are on the site. Pretty easy.
07-01-2014, 07:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I did was set up the trial before the event and by the time my month was up I had covered the cost of a year on that site.
Now that's a business plan.

07-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
[deleted]

I know some great photographers who use smugmug, and they all tell me, they don't make enough money from the site to pay for the site's costs. And the issue now becomes, with the passing of time, how many of the people who wanted the picture that day... still want them today. With every day passing, it will be fewer and fewer of them.

SO from my perspective, you've got a real uphill battle going on here.
Well the cost of a not-quite basic Smugmug site ranges from $60-300 per year. If your acquaintances kvetch about those costs, then I question their basic business sense or self-expectations. If you cannot muster enough in sales to cover $60, then treat photography like a hobby and get value from Smugmug's serious functionality. Same can be said for Zenfolio or other similar sites.

I do agree with you that the OP has challenges starting from no online presence because his business model needs some more careful thought.

M
07-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Neville Quote

I have purchased WebPlus X7 from Serif its quiet easy to build your own sight, see Tutorial here

WebPlus X7 - Easy to use and professional web design software from Serif