Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Article by wedding photog of Nikon, Canon, Fuji suitability

I found the link to this website on dpreview, Fuji X-mount forum.

From Fujifilm to Nikon: The $10,000 Question

Photographer: Daniel Cheung, Honk Kong.

I have no connection to this wedding photographer, who reportedly does 30 a year, but i really like his frank comparisons of the 3 different makes and more.

He transitioned from Canon FF cameras to Fuji XTi because of the weight, i.e. carrying around 2 5DMkIII IIRC for average 12 hour days. So he transitioned by selling his Canon equipment and buying a coupla Fuji's with 3 primes. As much as he tried to like the Fujis, he finally couldn't tolerate the difficulty the camera had tracking the brides walking down the aisle - too few sharp shots. So then he sells the Fujis and buys DA800e of one kind or another, basically for the mp.

I think its worth reading the whole article vice my quick summary. His pictures look good to me and he does 30 a year.

My point is this: Daniel is obviously an accomplished wedding photographer. Nowhere in the article does he complain about the IQ of FF cameras vice an aps camera like the XTI. He also does not complain about EVF vice OVF. To him the critical factors were weight to carry around for average 12 hour days, AF speed and accuracy, and quality lenses.

Maybe i'm mistaken, but i think Pentax could compete in the wedding professional world. The K3's AF speed and tracking has to be far ahead of the Fuji. I haven't had a Fuji, but i've been impressed by the K3 over the K5. Perhaps the zoom lenses need to be tuned up speed wise, but the optics are there. some faster primes may be needed, i don't know about that. Perhaps Flash needs to be worked on. And wifi connections - unless the Flu card is enough.

08-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Let me preface this by saying that I use two K5iis' to shoot weddings, with a variety of FA* and DA* and DA Limited prime lenses and I love them. But if Pentax REALLY wants to compete for pro wedding photographers, they have to give us more flash flexibility, specifically with HSS. Also, FLU card is not enough. True tethering would be a boon.