Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #31
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Perhaps they're implementing a DPReview counting mechanism: "count sales, except for Pentax".
There is no Pentax in the DPR shop.

---------- Post added 01-09-14 at 19:19 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
This may be more relevant:

https://www.flickr.com/cameras/pentax/
No 645D in the list, so not enough activity?

09-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Canon/Nikon have weather sealing on their lenses. Moreover, they have weather sealing on their best lenses, which Pentax, by and large, does not.

We can argue about the effectiveness of that weather sealing between brands but thus far there's no test for 'weather sealing effectiveness'. So Pentax doesn't really get any kudos for weather sealing. The K-30 came with a lens that wasn't weather sealed, if I recall correctly (I may not). The K-500 wasn't weather sealed. Overall, you're right, they don't get any kudos for that.

Personally I love in body stability. Nevertheless at long focal lengths where you really, really want great stabilization, the stabilization for Pentax isn't as good as Nikon, for example. So it's a mixed bag. Pentax doesn't get any kudos except in a limited market (like me, who bought a Pentax for wide to normal angles).

The K-30 wasn't released between the K-50 and the K-500. It went K-5, K-30, K-50 & K-500 simultaneously, and K-3. I forgot if the K-5II came before or after the K-30 but my fuzzy recollection says after.
09-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
There is no Pentax in the DPR shop.
DPReview's click counter doesn't count clicks on the K-S1 content. Thus, the "Most Popular Cameras" top and the "metrics" they're using to prioritize reviews are invalid.
Amazon's sales top might be broken in a similar manner. Who knows how they're computing it?
09-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #34
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
DPReview's click counter doesn't count clicks on the K-S1 content. Thus, the "Most Popular Cameras" top and the "metrics" they're using to prioritize reviews are invalid.
Amazon's sales top might be broken in a similar manner. Who knows how they're computing it?
No they run a gearshop where you can buy stuff and no Pentax in the shop! No presence no sale.

09-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazon is selling a lot of used Pentax cameras.
09-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
This may be more relevant:

https://www.flickr.com/cameras/pentax/
I notice they haven't bothered to add the K-3 yet, nor any of the multiple Q models.
09-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I've read sooner that there is no Pentax camera on the shelf on any photo stores in Vienna. One of the most important, politically, and historical capital in Europe. Don't talk about the photographic beauty of this city. And also, in the hole world. It was almost a shock for me. Something is certainly broken up there.

And I think that the distribution of representative stores around the world, and a good advertising and promotion activity, is almost so important that a full line of FF cameras and lenses, or a new line of mirrorless.

And please, I don't want to hear that Ricoh didn't have the resources for this. A top 500 company !!!

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 09-01-2014 at 04:31 PM.
09-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
I don't want to hear that Ricoh didn't have the resources for this.
I'm sure they do. Their office equipment seems to have decent visibility. They do a lot of sporting sponsorship, for example. But the Ricoh office equipment managers probably don't talk to the Ricoh camera people, and link their marketing work.
09-02-2014, 04:46 AM   #39
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
Amazon is selling a lot of used Pentax cameras.
They are 3rd party sellers just like on ebay and not Amazon.
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Pentax K1000 Camera with 50mm (f/2.0) Lens
09-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Since the K1000 still sells so well, maybe Pentax should think about creating a fully manual digital version of the cult classic. I'd happily put my pre-order in today.
basically the only thing i want in a digital camera (besides video that's just a fast burst mode) -- same knobs, even, with maybe one more switch for white balance and then all the usual live view and storage management stuff in the back.
09-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Isn't the Fuji basically what you're asking for?
09-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And please, I don't want to hear that Ricoh didn't have the resources for this. A top 500 company !!!
If it were possible to know the Return on Invested Capital of office equipment, and of imaging equipment then it would be possible to know whether Ricoh will make a large capital injection or ongoing operating support (SG&A expense) into Ricoh Imaging (my bet is Imaging has a 10% ROIC and Ofc. Equip. is closer to 20% - capital flows to its highest return level).

A good exercise question for Finance majors would be, 'Why would Ricoh invest $140MM in Pentax?'
09-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If it were possible to know the Return on Invested Capital of office equipment, and of imaging equipment then it would be possible to know whether Ricoh will make a large capital injection or ongoing operating support (SG&A expense) into Ricoh Imaging (my bet is Imaging has a 10% ROIC and Ofc. Equip. is closer to 20% - capital flows to its highest return level).

A good exercise question for Finance majors would be, 'Why would Ricoh invest $140MM in Pentax?'
I don't know, and you just make me curious. How much did Ricoh payd for Pentax?
09-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I have posted lot of times suggesting that the "Pentax is doomed" crowd be banned. The fact iss, on this forum the only way to get a word in edgewise is to admit Pentax is doomed. Then you can make your point. For certain users, anyone who doesn't admit Pentx is doomed isn't worth the time of day. Ban those users and I'll never say Pentax is doomed again.

After all these years I can honestly say, I've never learned a single useful thing, from the Pentax is doomed" crowd. They are rowdy rude and obnoxious. The attitude is a psychological marker for the psychologically unstable.

The simple fact is, other camera companies make different products than Pentax, and that does not mean Pentax is doomed. You can steer camera users to ,other systems where appropriate without trashing Pentax. My solution is simple, if all you want to do is bash Pentax, you should be banned. Period.
09-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know, and you just make me curious. How much did Ricoh payd for Pentax?
Nikkei Business Daily reported the deal was worth about 10 billion Yen (at the time, US$124 million). For comparison, Facebook bought Instagram for US$1 billion, and failed to buy SnapChat for US$3 billion. It has been suggested that the low price took into account the understanding that Ricoh would have to invest additional funds to make Pentax worth something.

If others would stop insisting that Pentax is doomed, I would be happy to stop saying "PentaxIsDoomed™".