Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2014, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #16
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations! I hope they are the first of many.

09-21-2014, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats Alex! That's awesome.
09-21-2014, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's great, Alex. You do awesome work!
09-21-2014, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
May it prove to be the first of many sales for you, good luck.

09-21-2014, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Both shots are amazing - but the snowy one is simple stunning ! I wish I had a wall to hang it onto :P Congratulation !
09-21-2014, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

bravo !!! they are awesome
09-21-2014, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

'Bravo Zulu' (well done). My compliments to you. Both images are fan-tas-tic!

-Craig

09-21-2014, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Congrats Heie!
09-21-2014, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #24
NKK
Inactive Account

Congrats!
Really great pictures
09-21-2014, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Super. You deserve it. These are both really special.
09-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Congratulations! And what great timing-- I was just wondering how to decorate my new office...
09-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

looks like you just sold a k-30 too...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/273566-think...ml#post2950406
...for Pentax in the UK
09-22-2014, 05:52 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

congrats Alex!!!
09-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #29
Forum Member

Congrats! The only people who have bought any of my stuff are family members.
09-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow thank you everyone. I wasn't expecting such a response

A few comments I wanted to address directly:

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Wonderful! I hope the prints were big and nice to capture the scenes.
She got it at 24x36inch (61x91cm) although she said she wanted it as big as possible for her wall. While it's a K-3 file, I cropped significantly (over 1000px on each side), so I decided against letting her try out the largest Zenfolio allows (30x45inch or 76x114cm). I got this four days later (which is unreal....outstanding turnaround MPixPro!):

Name:  IMG954731.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  129.3 KB

She said the quality looks fantastic. The aspect ratio didn't quite line up, and I warned her that I could make it the full length of the longest dimension, but it would have some white space on the edges because it's not perfectly 3:2. She said no worries, that's too easy too cut with a yardstick and an X-acto knife

The other one (snow scene) was at 11x17inch (28x43cm) - that friend lives in a small (tiny) NYC studio apartment, and as a photographer herself, there's not much room on the walls Nonetheless, it isn't tiny, and I'm honored she picked an image from me. "I specifically want this one because it's something I'll most likely never be able to see and capture myself."

She still said that it looks great

QuoteOriginally posted by MBike74 Quote
Good work! I am so glad to see good things happening for good people. You know, your sandbox YouTube video is one of the reasons I shoot a Pentax today. I sometimes tell people who shoot with the "others" about it, and I always get a WTF!!! type look from them. You put in tons of effort here for everyone's benefit and I am grateful. Thanks for it all, and I hope you sell many more.
I've had many, many people contact me and tell me that video was the final push for them to commit to getting a Pentax, and every time I hear that, I can't help but smile. That's awesome, and I'm glad that something that was originally just supposed to be for PF internally turned out so much more than that. That's pretty cool

And I hope I sell many more too

Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Thanks for sharing the good news. Did you do the prints on ordinary paper or something special, and at what size? Always interesting to hear what the buying public is interested in.
I chose to use MPixPro, one of the partner labs with Zenfolio, and so far - I'm beyond impressed. Both quality and turnaround time. I've done two test 8x10's and they also were at my door within a week. For all the sizes up to 20x30" (50x76cm), there's three options for paper. E-Surface Color Paper (standard yet high quality photo paoper), Fuji Pearl, and a special B&W called True Digital B&W. I got an 8x10 and the giant print below (at the end of this post) using the regular paper (it's the only option for 24x36inch / 61x91cm and 30x45inch / 76x114cm) and the quality is fantastic. I also got one of the 8x10's in the pearl, and it has a really, really nice metallic sheen. Very nice paper, although it's a bit more expensive and probably best if used for specific images.

My friend took a chance on the B&W (as I told her that I can't vouch for it - I hadn't seen it myself) for the snow scene and she said it looks amazing. As for "interests of the buying public," I'll let you know once I sell a few more lol. Although for all my images that allow it, I've made all three options available and the choice of the buyer - they are all fulfilled by the same lab.

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Congratulations! I hope they are the first of many.
Thanks! And me too

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Both shots are amazing - but the snowy one is simple stunning ! I wish I had a wall to hang it onto :P Congratulation !
Much appreciated! If you get a wall, they too can be yours now

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
Congratulations! And what great timing-- I was just wondering how to decorate my new office...
And the print ordering is now up! Decorate awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
looks like you just sold a k-30 too... Thinking of going Pentax. Convince me (or otherwise) ...for Pentax in the UK
Thanks for pointing that out to me! Gave the OP a like over there But like I said above - always makes me smile when I see references to that video like that

I also wanted to share this (since this image came out of this trip) - we got our first print for the house (I know....I know) because Jenny had been bugging me to get some for our bare walls. So, I asked her if the image of us overlooking Edinburgh would be good, and after getting her approval, I decided to go for gold - the largest print size that I could order from the partner labs with Zenfolio (where my prints can be ordered from). I went with the largest size to not only have a great "mantle photo" of us, but honestly I wanted to test how the K-3 would hold up to such a huge print, not only for my own curiosity, but to see if it would be worthwhile to offer the print that large for sale. In good conscience I would not be able to offer the image if I didn't know, so I bit the bullet, and not even a week later (!) it arrived:

(Jenny thinking she's Vanna White)

It needed two people to hold it it was so big:

That's a 30x45 inch (76x114 cm) print.
And Let me tell you - it looks abso-f'ing-lutely incredible!! At this size, it's approximately 133 dpi. Even from close up inspection, you can still make out the windows and which ones have blinds up/down. Unbelievable. I am now, if I wasn't before, 100% a believer in the power of the K-3. Just.....wow....

Once again - thank you all for the tremendous support. I continue to be humbled and actively seeking ways to say thank you and convey my appreciation for how supportive this community is for me as a budding photographer

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 10-03-2014 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Typo :)