Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2014, 05:46 AM   #1
Forum Member

Question about watermarks and other things

Hi everyone. I am new to watermarking and everything else in some way related to any kind of professional photography.

Anyways, heres the situation. I recently started doing volunteer work for a lodge in southern Chile, which I found though an organization called workaway.com. Anyways, i've been doing work for them, in exchange for lodging and food. I was recently asked to take some photos of one of the trips they offered, along with other things around the lodge. After I took the pictures, I edited them, and then watermarked them because I knew they were being uploaded publicly. I haven't ever done that before, but it seemed sensible, and I had also never uploaded a ton of stuff publically as well. When the lodge owner saw, he said it was fine, but then later said that he wanted me to remove them. He said he might want to use them on a flyer or brochure, and said that if the watermark was there, it would look like he took them off a stockphoto site without paying. I understood this to a point, not wanting to have a watermark on something you are using, but I didnt get the rest of it, If it was a stockphoto site, it would most likely have something covering the image. Anyways, I wanted to ask people who knew more than me, before I go and remove all my watermarks, what I should do. He said that we could just enter an agreement where he would acknowledgee me somewhere on the sites and things that are displaying my pictures, and he would also point people in my direction if they asked about the pictures.

Anyways, any advice, comments, or recommendations would be great, Im very new to this side of photography.

thanks!

Charles

09-26-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I understand the lodge owners concern. If I saw an advertising photo with a watermark I would assume it was "stolen" off the internet.
09-26-2014, 06:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You are doing deal without a contract up front, and now the terms of the deal are changing. So, you have a problem :-)

He wants no watermark so it does not look like he stole the image.

When you use stock photos, there are restrictions (or not) on how they are used depending on what you pay for.

Frankly, food and board and photo credit seems OK for what he intends to use the photos.
09-26-2014, 06:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What you are describing would either come under "work for hire" meaning the lodge owner 'hired' you to take the photos and they belong to him. OR it would be the same as if you or a stock agency sold them to him.

Either way, no watermarks. You delivered images for value, room & food.

If you want to retain copyright then it is the second you 'sold' him images. He can use them within whatever license agreement you come to.
He wants to house you and give you an image credit that sounds good to me.
You might ask if he wants exclusive use or if you can license them elsewhere.

09-26-2014, 06:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cpritchardv Quote
He said that we could just enter an agreement where he would acknowledgee me somewhere on the sites and things that are displaying my pictures, and he would also point people in my direction if they asked about the pictures.
This seems very reasonable. Watermarks are usually only for public-type Internet postings. In effect, your photos are your contributions towards lodging and food, so if the client wants you to lose the watermarks, then I'd be OK with that, especially if you are receiving a credit and possible referrals.

M
09-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the advice, I agree with the photos being paid for by the food and lodging. I was thinking that before, but I was happy to see everyones perspectives. I think I will go ahead and remove the watermarks and reupload the pictures. Ill definitely talk to him about exclusivity as well!