Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2014, 05:02 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you Ricoh - look at Canon results

With the continued improvement in the Pentax line over the past year I am thankful that Ricoh acquired Pentax. Perhaps it would be nice to have a full frame camera, but if you really need the capability for landscapes and studio work you can upgrade from 35mm full frame to the 645Z. In my case, full frame has no attraction for wildlife photography. I like the extra 'reach' and lighter weight of a cropped system and I have even been impressed with the posts on the forum of posted 560 photos. Time will tell on the 560 for me.

More important for me is that Ricoh manage Pentax for growth and profitability. Witness the situation Canon finds itself announcing new cameras every few months and supporting all the formats with lenses - declining profit and poor growth.

Canon profit falls 1% on weak camera demand - MarketWatch

Yeah, I am sure there will be lots of posts about great deals for Canon products for Christmas as they dump inventories at COSTCO and BESTBUY.

For my part, I am looking forward to another good year of Ricoh strengthening the Pentax line in a thoughtfully and profitably.

10-27-2014, 05:09 AM   #2
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the price of such post? (joke)

Last edited by ogl; 10-27-2014 at 09:38 AM.
10-27-2014, 05:21 AM   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I also think that Ricoh are thinking smart for long term growth, but it's a but soon to celebrate since Ricoh's figures for the same period aren't out yet.
10-27-2014, 05:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
At least they make profits. I Wonder if Nikon makes profits ? And for sure, Oly nor Sony didn't

10-27-2014, 05:29 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
What is the price of such post?
Was this post paid for by Canon? Are you paid by Canon, what's your angle?

I guess it's un-acceptable that someone would say the same things about another company that you say all the time about Pentax. They must have paid for what you put out for free.

The guy just said, he's happy with his camera. It is so disappointing that you'd have such a negative reaction to that. I guess everyone who loves their pentax gear needs to be insulted by people like you. Apparently you think that's what they come here for.

Why you are permitted to post here continues to be a great source of wonder.

Well I'm with him. I'm not planning to buy a lot this year, but they already have a lot o stuff I'd like to ad to my collection, and I hope they continue to do well.
As for people like you. I don't care if that makes you unhappy. Your unhappiness is your problem, not mine. Unless as today for some reason I ignore my own good sense ad take you off my ignore list if only for a brief second. Big mistake, and waste of time.

Last edited by normhead; 10-27-2014 at 05:48 AM.
10-27-2014, 05:44 AM   #6

@normhead

I agree with you entirely. Good for you!

@all

By the way, don't you think that at the forum should run "antidefeatist" filter?
10-27-2014, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by airbass Quote
By the way, don't you think that at the forum should run "antidefeatist" filter?
It's called the ignore list. Just click the username and click ignore. Makes the forums seem so much nicer.

10-27-2014, 05:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's called the ignore list.
I'm kicking myself, I have the guy on ignore, but I got curious in a moment of weakness. Something inside me believes people can change, that anyone can become a decent human being. It's almost an act of faith, and it is occasionally rewarded, but not of this guy.. not yet.
10-27-2014, 06:17 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess we need a refresher course in boricleto™
10-27-2014, 06:52 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Was this post paid for by Canon? Are you paid by Canon, what's your angle?

I guess it's un-acceptable that someone would say the same things about another company that you say all the time about Pentax. They must have paid for what you put out for free.

The guy just said, he's happy with his camera. It is so disappointing that you'd have such a negative reaction to that. I guess everyone who loves their pentax gear needs to be insulted by people like you. Apparently you think that's what they come here for.

Why you are permitted to post here continues to be a great source of wonder.

Well I'm with him. I'm not planning to buy a lot this year, but they already have a lot o stuff I'd like to ad to my collection, and I hope they continue to do well.
As for people like you. I don't care if that makes you unhappy. Your unhappiness is your problem, not mine. Unless as today for some reason I ignore my own good sense ad take you off my ignore list if only for a brief second. Big mistake, and waste of time.
We all can have our opinions. Ogl tends to be more polarized than some -- usually really high on new gear (like the DA limited zoom, the K5), follow up by diatribes on how it doesn't work the way he expects it to.

Better just to keep an even keel and not fluctuate to extremes. It really is about taking photos and Pentax gear is about as good as any other brand when it comes to that.

To the OP, Canon and Nikon have been pretty boring for quite awhile. Sensors are what they are, I guess, no new ideas, except to release a new full frame camera that no one particularly wants.
10-27-2014, 06:55 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
What is the price of such post?
I am surprised, for somebody who created Pentax Marketing Flop thread somewhere else, you are not interested in Ricoh Pentax sales ?
10-27-2014, 07:09 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

The reason Canon's profit is falling on cameras is because Canon used to sell a ton of compact/inexpensive digital cameras, but now people are using their phones more as cameras. But I don't see why this is great news for Pentax.

So Pentax has been a big loser for years on the compact digital camera market, and this is supposed to mean they were doing something right? Imagine all the money Canon has made (and continues to make) on the millions of small cameras they sell. Whoopty doo, let's celebrate!
10-27-2014, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
(...)
Ogl tends to be more polarized than some -- (...)
ogl tends to be more Russian than some .
10-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh's earnings report was a minor disappointment due to lackluster printer/copier consumables sales and a few corporate issues.
10-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

To the OP, Canon and Nikon have been pretty boring for quite awhile. Sensors are what they are, I guess, no new ideas, except to release a new full frame camera that no one particularly wants.
Which FF camera would that be, the one that outsells the K3 or the one that outsold the K5?

---------- Post added 10-27-14 at 09:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
The reason Canon's profit is falling on cameras is because Canon used to sell a ton of compact/inexpensive digital cameras, but now people are using their phones more as cameras. But I don't see why this is great news for Pentax.
It's not. Pentax is going to be less visible and shielded somewhat because of lower volume, but they are primarily selling the same main products as Canon or Nikon - so what affects CaNikon eventually affects Pentax too. Ricoh has come up with no magic solution to this, we shouldn't kid ourselves that it has.

Now on the bright side I think we're lucky (still, I think) that Pentax is not standalone or not owned by a Hoya. I think when things stabilize in the industry Pentax will still be there - and will be selling K-mount lenses to put on a FF body (among other things.)