Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
An Open Letter to Sony, Ricoh, Hasselblad and Phase One

https://fstoppers.com/originals/open-letter-sony-ricoh-hasselblad-and-phase-one-41979

10-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Good write up on 645Z.

Now just knock about $6K off the base price and I'm in
10-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really think MF in the right hands (eyes) brings digital to a new level. There may be nuances to that, but I have not seen that technical/image quality before. I just saw a show by an old friend who works with Phase One, and the nuance with very large prints was amazing.
10-30-2014, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Most pros make so little margin these days that a MF digital becomes too much overhead for them to recoup with sales .Film Medium format cameras used to be somewhat affordable and were owned by many pros. Today, publishers have abandoned film, not because digital had better image quality but because they could make more money in the workflow. For them, profits trump quality. The customer of these publications is the loser and so is the pro shooter.

10-30-2014, 11:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

As soon as I saw the overused phrase "game changing" in the first sentence I quickly got the impression that this article was going to be more sentimental boot licking. Sorry, but I can't bring myself to give a crap. Medium format is always going to be expensive*, Anyone can make things cheaper but the joy of a sweet price will turn to ash when the realization of cut corners and sacrifices in quality and UI are noticed.

Hasselblad, why can't you be more like Sony? Phase one, why can't you be more like Pentax? ugh. The MF industry is the way it is because it is fundamentally a niche market, and LF is an even smaller niche than that.

*At least for the next 10 or so years, providing sensor development and production technologies continue the glacial rate of progress.

Last edited by Digitalis; 11-16-2014 at 12:58 AM.
11-05-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
wondering if Zeiss made extremely expensive lenses Otis 35 mm, how much did the same lenses will cost for medium format?
11-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gor80 Quote
how much did the same lenses will cost for medium format?
Somewhere in the vicinity of $10,000 in all probability.
11-05-2014, 11:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
As soon as I saw the overused phrase "game changing" in the first sentence I quickly got the impression that this article was going to be more sentimental boot licking. Sorry, but I can't bring myself to give a crap. Medium format is always going to be expensive*, Anyone can make things cheaper but the joy of a sweet price will turn to ash when the realization of cut corners sacrifices in quality and UI are noticed.

Hasselblad, why can't you be more like Sony? Phase one, why can't you be more like Pentax? ugh. The MF industry is the way it is because it is fundamentally a niche market, and LF is an even smaller niche than that.

*At least for the next 10 or so years, providing sensor development and production technologies continue the glacial rate of progress.
Thanks for the sobering thoughts...I admit getting caught up in the lyrical prose of the article....and fantasizing about what if.....by the time I got to the end of the article and realized the author is the extremely proud owner of every mf camera on the market..I realized I was not only out of my league, but I couldn't even imagine the ballpark...but perhaps your caveat was correct...perhaps in ten years the technology may be affordable t the street artist....and in the end if that is what this article is foreshadowing...I am intrigued.....at least for my children...

11-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I was reading about the new Phase One system, when I started wondering if the world is ready for a MF version of the Ricoh GR. That is, a "compact" body with a fixed lens and an MF sensor. Such a product would of course lack the flexibility of an MF body with interchangeable lenses, but it should be vastly smaller and cheaper.

How about it, Ricoh? Bringing Pentax tech into a Ricoh-style package would be a unique product that would attract a lot of attention in the marketplace, and whet the appetites of pros and well-heeled enthusiasts for more complete MF systems.