Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-13-2014, 07:00 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This series was shot in burst mode and AF-C with the "slow, noisy screw-drive AF" FA43....

At f/2.8 by the way. It's not perfect, but I don't think it's bad either.

K-3 + FA43 tracking test

11-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
In its review of the K3 dpreview noted:

"Much of the problem with Z-axis tracking appeared to relate to the focus speed of the lenses, with even the fastest lens we used struggling to work at much above walking pace. Subjects moving laterally (and therefore requiring little refocusing) weren't a problem, but even the fastest-focusing of the lenses we used would struggle to get a good number of shots in perfect focus with an approaching subject."

It makes me kinda angry that years after other manufacturers retired that system even in their cheapest lenses, Pentax still ships lenses with slow, noisy screw-drive AF, and no matter how much money you throw at them, there is no lens available that performs decent in AF.C, whether it'd be SDM, DC or whatever.
I agree. I think the problem is the lens focusing system not the camera body. It is the the reverse of what I experienced with my Canon lenses and bodies. Their lenses are right on but their mid range bodies which is what I could afford were terrible. Canon made you spend somewhere north of $5K to get a decent focusing body. That is why Pentax K3 is such a bargain given what it can produce. I wish there was a way to put Canon's USM motors inside Pentax lenses.
11-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
assuming that the nikon equipment belongs to your partner and not to the business then i would upgrade to the k-3 but also keep the k-30 as a backup camera just in case something happens during a wedding. these things do happen you know...when you least expect them too. id also invest in some premium glass. i wouldnt suggest switching brands (either of you) so you can have the same one, since 90% of the times partnerships go wrong, especially in photography where people prefer to go solo at some point
11-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
assuming that the nikon equipment belongs to your partner and not to the business then i would upgrade to the k-3 but also keep the k-30 as a backup camera just in case something happens during a wedding. these things do happen you know...when you least expect them too. id also invest in some premium glass. i wouldnt suggest switching brands (either of you) so you can have the same one, since 90% of the times partnerships go wrong, especially in photography where people prefer to go solo at some point
Would the K-3 be the best idea? Why would you recommend it over a K-5II when OP shoots weddings (with the danger of moire)? I think AF has been improved, but what are some other reasons?

11-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Well, what do you find lacking/frustrating/limiting with your current gear and the kind of photography that you take/want to take?
This.
11-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote
I know there is no such thing like "pro gear"
Often what really defines "Pro Gear" is actually the level of "Pro Support" provided by the camera manufacturer when things go wrong i.e. repair times, loan equipment and the like.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 11-15-2014 at 04:40 PM.
11-15-2014, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

There's an interesting partly related thread in the Nikon thread on the other forum from a guy reporting on a big concert festival in the US that was covered by pro shooters from AP, Getty, Reuters, the New York Times, Corbis, Rolling Stone, Spin, and others.

While he did note that none of the event photo-journalist 'pros' he saw were using APS-C bodies, he was most surprised to see that all the pros were using beat up and often pretty old gear - not the latest lenses or bodies at all. They stuck with solid tools that worked, and that they knew how to deliver results with in the field.

One message from that thread may be that if your current gear is delivering results that work, stick with it.

Last edited by rawr; 11-15-2014 at 04:38 PM.
11-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
This series was shot in burst mode and AF-C with the "slow, noisy screw-drive AF" FA43....

At f/2.8 by the way. It's not perfect, but I don't think it's bad either.
I shot sports for the first time today - Basketball indoors with the K3 and DA 35 f/2.4. Actually not that bad considering it's not a dedicated sports lens with fast AF.
11-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
While he did note that none of the event photo-journalist 'pros' he saw were using APS-C bodies, he was most surprised to see that all the pros were using beat up and often pretty old gear - not the latest lenses or bodies at all. They stuck with solid tools that worked, and that they knew how to deliver results with in the field.
I think it's probably a matter of personal preference and finances (I doubt even Getty or Reuters get every single of their photographers the latest gear as soon as it comes out). But there are obviously also pros who use the latest gear - I know of at least one AFP photographer covering the Hong Kong protests with a Nikon D810.
11-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I agree for the most part that AF is important, but there is one thing that is equally if not more important, and that is the ability to use flash properly and effectively; and I have yet to see good/competent wedding photogs doing that for a while (with or without "pro-gear" in Canikon camp). As some one suggested, pro-gear means pro-level support in case equipment fails, so far, only Canikon has that system in place I believe.
11-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
As some one suggested
That'll be me then.
11-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

... pro-gear means pro-level support in case equipment fails, so far, only Canikon has that system in place I believe.
Sony just launched a similar system and Pentax has had a system for years - there is a press release dating back to 2008 and some forum member posted that according to recent communication with Pentax officials it is still in place. They just don't do anything at all to market it.
11-15-2014, 05:59 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
The ergonomics in k-3 (and for that matter, k-5/II/s as well) are designed with "pro" in mind, as one can change settings (ISO, EV etc.) handily on-the-fly without taking the eyes off the viewfinder, whereas the k-30 is close enough but not quite the same. Besides, having two cameras, IMHO is a must being a wedding photographer, especially when you need to cover the different situations with long and short lenses and especially with flash.

---------- Post added 11-15-2014 at 08:02 PM ----------

Sony just launched a similar system and Pentax has had a system for years - there is a press release dating back to 2008 and some forum member posted that according to recent communication with Pentax officials it is still in place. They just don't do anything at all to market it.
It is tough to keep the support system in place without a large user-base especially in North America.
11-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #29
Veteran Member

It is tough to keep the support system in place without a large user-base especially in North America.
The thing is, it still is in place, they just don't tell anyone
11-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #30
Veteran Member

The thing is, it still is in place, they just don't tell anyone
With the 645z widely available worldwide, I suppose there likely be a Pro-support system in place, although, I think it will likely be subscription based system.