Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Every photographer is a star.
Made me think of this, lol...

11-17-2014, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I wonder how many potters think that sales are the "ultimate source of affirmation"?
I only know one potter who sells their work and the work definitely does not suck. The potter, however depends on the ranch to pay the bills. My friend does not suck at ranching either. If you don't get the connection, don't feel bad, neither do I. My friend is not a photographer, commercial or otherwise and I am not a rancher. I would suck as a rancher and have never thrown a pot. I do take photographs however and definitely suck at turning a dollar doing it. So where is the problem? I suck at all three and take full responsibility for my suckiness. If a potter wishes to console me, that would be cool.

Steve
11-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I still suck at some of those things. Recognizing that is a start, and I'm trying to do suck-reduction whenever I can.
11-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I really don't see any problem if I find out (or someone told me) that I suck. It is the motivation factor that people need to do better. OTOH, I think there is a problem when I see friends refusing to accept that they suck, no sure if I want to tell the truth or lose a friend.

11-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suck, but I've had the good fortune of taking some pics that people actually want. Sometimes its not how well you shoot, but what you shoot.
11-18-2014, 04:17 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I think that having someone tell you "you suck," in general will inspire you to tune out the rest of what they say -- unless you have a really good relationship, or they are your coach/boss. That sort of statement is a hit generator on the internet. Constructive criticism is important though, whether it is with regard to business plan, photography skills.

I think the biggest error I see is that photographers focus on gear too much, thinking both that that is what clients want (clients don't care if the photos are there) and that that is what give good photos (it is the photographer who decides what the camera takes).
11-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, I think that having someone tell you "you suck," in general will inspire you to tune out the rest of what they say -- unless you have a really good relationship, or they are your coach/boss. That sort of statement is a hit generator on the internet. Constructive criticism is important though, whether it is with regard to business plan, photography skills.
I agree, and for that reason I think it's unfortunate that people focused on the "you suck" part of the article, when it in fact is full of constructive criticism - for the target audience, which is people who want to make money from their photography by means of having their own photographic business.

Also, I've lived in the south of the US for about 21 years now. I know that people here will give you some "tough love" sometimes, and I see that southern "tough love" coming through the writing. I think it was meant for helping people, not putting people down. But as with always, people can choose to take from it what you want...

QuoteQuote:
I think the biggest error I see is that photographers focus on gear too much, thinking both that that is what clients want (clients don't care if the photos are there) and that that is what give good photos (it is the photographer who decides what the camera takes).
And that too is more of a hobbyist thing, I think. Of course there's exceptions, as with everything. But I see people who make their money from photography and they're not after the latest and greatest - sometimes they use gear that is older than what I have, or stuff that people here would not get excited about - and they still get paid for their work.

Speaking of gear focused, sometimes I hear about people being told by customers that they need to use a certain brand of camera, or they won't get the job. Am I the only one that finds those stories a bit hard to believe? Even if it did happen to someone, how common is that? Yet I read about this every once in a while...

11-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife once commented about my hobby, "OK, if that's what you want to do. As long as you understand its all been done before," to which I immediately replied (where this rejoinder came from I haven't a clue), "Sure, but not by me."

So, "You suck," gets a, "Sure, but I don't shoot for you."
11-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My wife once commented about my hobby, "OK, if that's what you want to do. As long as you understand its all been done before," to which I immediately replied (where this rejoinder came from I haven't a clue), "Sure, but not by me."

So, "You suck," gets a, "Sure, but I don't shoot for you."
And of course followed by.. " I shoot for my legion of statistically proven to exist but as yet undiscovered fans."
Which reminds me of a fortune cookie I once got..
"You a appeal to a very small number of dedicated followers."
11-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Speaking of gear focused, sometimes I hear about people being told by customers that they need to use a certain brand of camera, or they won't get the job. Am I the only one that finds those stories a bit hard to believe? Even if it did happen to someone, how common is that? Yet I read about this every once in a while...

I've seen it happen several times. All you can do is shrug and go on.

Recently on Image Brief there have been quite a few "Canon only" jobs, even down to the specific model. I can only assume they are for Canon ads.

As for the article, I thought the title was aggressive -- and obviously it's clickbait -- but the article itself was just realistic business advice. Much of it could apply to any business.
11-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #41
Veteran Member

It happens all the time. Someone tried that on me lately. I was talking to this local guy online about doing some photography for his tattoo shop. He made it very clear in his first response email that he expected me to be using pro gear, IE, a recent Canon or Nikon, or I wasn't to even apply for the job. He said and I quote "I don't want to deal with an amateur who's using some toy camera." I didn't even bother telling him I shoot Pentax. I just told him that I had gear sufficient for the job but that I wasn't interested.
11-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...one of the reasons why I avoid attempting to sell my work or my services. It is so comforting not having one's suckiness confirmed in the marketplace.
I feel the same way. But I see a lot of really great photos taken by people who do not get paid for them, who don't have an audience outside a few websites, and I find that too bad. And then I see some "pros" who are only pro because they buy expensive gear and push themselves to the customers. I know of a guy who shoots weddings, his photos are okay, but it took him around 8 months between buying the camera and starting his business. I find that way too fast and I doubt his work is as good as many of the best amateurs/hobbyists is. Oh well, not really a concern, but I would love to rake in some extra cash with my photos. I think I will have to start pushing, soon
Of course, the fear of "not being good enough" always stays, since there will always be photos out there that you couldn't or cannot capture.
11-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
my legion of statistically proven to exist but as yet undiscovered fans
In my business my fans would then be know as a 'fat tail.'
11-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In my business my fans would then be know as a 'fat tail.'
I had to look that one up and immediately got the joke. Yes, the same is true for me.

Steve
11-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #45
Veteran Member

if your photos really suck, clap your hands....
if your photos really suck, clap your hands...
if your photos really suck and you really truly know it,
then you truly need to show it, clap your hands...

I think the biggest frustration for me is that I KNOW what I'm supposed to do and I KNOW how I want it to turn out, but very rarely does it come together. It frustrates me no end when I start PP and I look at an image I took and realize all the things I did wrong and wish I could do over. Why didn't I do it that way in the first place???

Last edited by nomadkng; 11-18-2014 at 01:59 PM.