Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is not a lot of action there yet. Maybe some more of us should help it get started. I think it is another bit of evidence that Ricoh is trying to improve name recognition

11-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That might not be a bad idea. They could show some returns for their investment and keep them enthused about running the site.

11-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #33
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
There is not a lot of action there yet. Maybe some more of us should help it get started. I think it is another bit of evidence that Ricoh is trying to improve name recognition
That is no evidence at all.

The name recognition comes from timely engaging people with cameras and other products and services they ask for, not from products no one ever asked for. But it is easier for anyone to open an online forum that costs $100, than to invest in products and marketing that will cost $10 million, isn't it?

With two online Pentax communities, and one Ricoh community already thriving, and at least one of them delivering superior information and a wealth of resources (Pentax Forums), I do not understand what Ricoh really wants to accomplish.

Unless they want to open a troubleshooting Q&A, like Apple, Samsung and other companies have, their efforts in 'engaging' are waste of time. People from all over the wprld come to Pentax Forums to feel good and talk about just everything in a neutral zone. But to do the same under the Ricoh's US corporate flag, is no fun at all.

Anyway, it is not that I am dismissing the idea, but it is 3 years too late and I cannot see it catching up. For one reason, people are tired in re-posing of the same issues across forums, and on Pentax Forums at least, everything has already been said about every conceivable Pentax-related issue. But if Ricoh thinks people will come there to talk Ricoh, or, about their latest rebranded JK Imaging products that have Ricoh's name, then they are kidding, right?
11-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
That is no evidence at all.

The name recognition comes from timely engaging people with cameras and other products and services they ask for, not from products no one ever asked for. But it is easier for anyone to open an online forum that costs $100, than to invest in products and marketing that will cost $10 million, isn't it?

With two online Pentax communities, and one Ricoh community already thriving, and at least one of them delivering superior information and a wealth of resources (Pentax Forums), I do not understand what Ricoh really wants to accomplish.

Unless they want to open a troubleshooting Q&A, like Apple, Samsung and other companies have, their efforts in 'engaging' are waste of time. People from all over the wprld come to Pentax Forums to feel good and talk about just everything in a neutral zone. But to do the same under the Ricoh's US corporate flag, is no fun at all.

Anyway, it is not that I am dismissing the idea, but it is 3 years too late and I cannot see it catching up. For one reason, people are tired in re-posing of the same issues across forums, and on Pentax Forums at least, everything has already been said about every conceivable Pentax-related issue. But if Ricoh thinks people will come there to talk Ricoh, or, about their latest rebranded JK Imaging products that have Ricoh's name, then they are kidding, right?
I really doubt that more than a tine fraction of camera users ever visit these forum.

11-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There is no way I would join that forum. It will most definitely be censored. It will be a good way for Ricoh to find out that their "name" in dSLRs is not what they think it is.
12-01-2014, 12:23 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
... I do not understand what Ricoh really wants to accomplish...
Same question here.

But maybe...
1. they want to highlight the brand RICOH (not Pentax)
2. they want to have a direct channel to their customers (support, ideas)
3. raise the rating on search engines
and so on.

Or maybe they have some kind of problems with PF? It is the only one which can cause problems for Pentax users.

I understand that the PF is an independent forum and can not fully represent all of Ricoh's plans, but I do not understand why they are not interested in cooperating? In Camera HelpCentral is the section: Ask B&H Photo. Why there could not be, for example: Ask Pentax/Ricoh? I don't understand that.
12-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #37
Forum Member

Be A Passionate Online Forum Member

I think it's a shame that Ricoh didn't just simply buy Pentax Forums for their own. Or, perhaps if they simply took the money they invested in their own forum and instead invested it in Pentax Forums, that would have been a win-win for all.

Pentax Forums has served me well ... I'm staying put right here.

12-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I just got an email from Ricoh with this in it ... Ricoh Engagement Forum

12-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #39
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I wonder, if we all take our whining over to that "community,"
would it be any more effective at helping Ricoh "imagine change" in their lineup?
hahaha I certainly hope so!
12-02-2014, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I just got an email from Ricoh with this in it ...
Blackmail? it sure is black...

Looks creepy... they could have done it with letters cut from a newspaper...
12-02-2014, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by charlestm Quote
I think it's a shame that Ricoh didn't just simply buy Pentax Forums for their own. Or, perhaps if they simply took the money they invested in their own forum and instead invested it in Pentax Forums, that would have been a win-win for all.

Pentax Forums has served me well ... I'm staying put right here.
I'm glad they didn't.
Sure, I have been slapped on the wrist a few times here, but in the end, Adam and the crew slap *all* wrists pretty fairly.

I'm here to stay.

As for the folks at Ricoh?

I was banned pretty quickly from the Pentax Facebook page when they made it into the Ricoh page. I was not appreciated when I took offense to how Ricoh portrayed female photographers either.

You know, lending a 645 to an Olympus shooter and showing her terrible photos and showing women with the Optios and other colored cameras etc.

Rebeca Saray or Charis Talbot should be some of the targets for a Pentax/Ricoh expose into females with Pentax cameras, not some lame "soccer mom" with a colored Q or Optio.

So while things are not always perfect here on PF, they are LIGHTYEARS better here than on anything Ricoh touches.

12-02-2014, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
My main concern is about moderation/censorship of a Ricoh owned community. Imagine posts such as "Why I won't buy a K-3" or about the flapping of the mirror...would they even be allowed...
Try leaving some mild criticism (or even some irony) on Pentax Ricoh's Facebook page, count the seconds before it's deleted and your concern will be answered. A marketing tool is not a place for open discussions, period!
12-02-2014, 02:05 PM - 3 Likes   #43
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Would it be inappropriate to join there and post a link to the Why I won't buy a K-3 thread?
12-02-2014, 02:06 PM - 2 Likes   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vzbx Quote
Try leaving some mild criticism (or even some irony) on Pentax Ricoh's Facebook page, count the seconds before it's deleted and your concern will be answered. A marketing tool is not a place for open discussions, period!
Yep. Exactly.

---------- Post added 12-02-14 at 04:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Would it be inappropriate to join there and post a link to the Why I won't buy a K-3 thread?
Or how I fixed my K3.

12-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"“Control the media. Control the message" - Marshall McLuhan -