Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 05:57 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I read totsmuyco's post differently, he's asking Pentax to keep being Pentax and warns against listening to the all over the place, conflicting requests we're making.

12-10-2014, 06:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
At photokina they told me that they want to fill in the gaps left by the competition rather than trying to directly compete with every kind of product, which makes sense IMO.
What gaps are left? I know of whole lot of lenses that don't exist. (In modern variants.) Gaps enough to fill there. And enough gaps for all manufacturers. But cameras...
12-10-2014, 06:05 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I read totsmuyco's post differently, he's asking Pentax to keep being Pentax and warns against listening to the all over the place, conflicting requests we're making.
Just reread it, and I think I see what I missed... Fixed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
Dear Pentax,
Please go ahead with your plans. Some of us like SLTs, some like MILC, some like DSLR and who knows what. Don't listen to us otherwise, ELSE you'll come out with a CUBE for a camera with nothing exciting in it. Why? Because you'll be dazed and confused with us.

One thing though, please come up with something nice that will totally SHOCK US! Thank you.

Last edited by tvdtvdtvd; 12-10-2014 at 06:11 AM.
12-10-2014, 06:05 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Hahaha I totally agree with you.

---------- Post added 12-10-14 at 09:19 PM ----------

Precisely if they do it otherwise. It won't be Pentax.

12-10-2014, 06:23 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The LEAST Pentax/Ricoh can do is DE-CRIPPLE the K-Mount so our legacy lenses work as they used to on film cameras!

The thread (petition) is here...

-Joe-
12-10-2014, 06:24 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Precisely if they do it otherwise. It won't be Pentax.
12-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, why can't Pentax make something like this?

12-10-2014, 06:31 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

Pentax is going towards a 70-200 and a ~140-~380 lens. That's where they are going.
12-10-2014, 06:59 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
What gaps are left? I know of whole lot of lenses that don't exist. (In modern variants.) Gaps enough to fill there. And enough gaps for all manufacturers. But cameras...
The Theta is the future of Ricoh/Pentax!

But seriously, I don't know if I like that "fill the gaps" strategy. That's barely trying to survive as a company. I'm not sure I like the sound of it...
12-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ikongraphics Quote
I wonder if Pentax is a little bit adrift at the moment.

Sony is full of ideas, producing novel camera formats which perform..... and from what I read the new Nikon D750 is a camera achieving very high standards albeit in conventional full frame DSLR format. Pentax seem however to be stuck in something of a rut. The K3 is undoubtedly a great APS-C camera is the 645Z for those with the money, the technical ability and the need. We have all been waiting a very long time for a Pentax full frame in fact I think I am on the point of giving up hope. When are Pentax going to give us something like say the Sony A7? which is a great camera, super compact, high quality, full frame? Come on Ricoh Pentax it's Christmas.
It's unfortunate that your needs are more than Pentax is likely to meet. But, there are no brownie points for sticking with Pentax if your needs exceed their technology. It's a camera, not a wife. Just get what you need. Quit ragging on Pentax. It's not like anyone cares.

Even with a Pentax FF coming...
I don't need FF.
The wider DoF of APS-c on the same lens or equivalent lens, suits my style more.
The ability to get the equivalence of 400mm on FF out of my DA*60-250 on APS_c is a functionality I would find impossible to give up, both in terms of cost and weight.
The ability to get the equivalence of 51MP on my macros is just really nice, since at present there are no 51 MP FF cameras.

If you shoot a lot for narrow DoF or in very low light, you shouldn't be with Pentax. Other systems have more to offer. And that will be true even after Pentax releases their FF.
12-10-2014, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
Never. There is already an A7, so why make another? If I'd want an A7 I'd get one, what's the difference if it is labeled Ricoh or Sony?.

You mention Nikon as an exaple but I don't see how they are any different then Pentax in that they stick to their ground and improve in time.
There are also already FF DSLRs out there. Almost 30 different models spread over various brands on the new and used market. If Pentax shouldn't make a Pentax A7 because it already exists, then they sure as hell shouldn't make an FF DSLR.

They could still make a digital TLR?!
12-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
There are also already FF DSLRs out there. Almost 30 different models spread over various brands on the new and used market. If Pentax shouldn't make a Pentax A7 because it already exists, then they sure as hell shouldn't make an FF DSLR.

They could still make a digital TLR?! ☺
The A7 is an existing product. specifically mentioned by the OP. If Pentax were to make something similar it wouldn't have any advantage over anyone else making it because it will not be natively compatible with existing lenses.
The reason many want a Pentax FF is because of the K mount and if Sony or Kyocera make it, although unlikely, it will have the same consumer appeal.
12-10-2014, 07:54 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Dave's clichés;3067907]Sony have enormous financial clout as well as cutting edge technology, but it's real asset is a "desire" to improve and push the envelope. it's taken a while for the technologies to come together, so the route has been changing from transparent mirrors to different lens mounts and formats, which has left us all reeling as a plethora of models came out. Samsung are heading down the same route, high money, high tech, high desire, huge technological leaps. Fuji and Olympus are pushing hard on their front.
Ah Pentax, dear Pentax, well it's more traditional here, small desire, small money and small incremental improvements, but a huge range of colours!
. . . . and Irony.
12-10-2014, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Ricoh, beware, if you keep us wondering where you are going, will be not long before you will be asking where all this devoted Pentax users had gone!!!
12-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave's clichés Quote
Sony have enormous financial clout as well as cutting edge technology, but it's real asset is a "desire" to improve and push the envelope. it's taken a while for the technologies to come together, so the route has been changing from transparent mirrors to different lens mounts and formats, which has left us all reeling as a plethora of models came out. Samsung are heading down the same route, high money, high tech, high desire, huge technological leaps. Fuji and Olympus are pushing hard on their front.
Ah Pentax, dear Pentax, well it's more traditional here, small desire, small money and small incremental improvements, but a huge range of colours!
Sony is throwing billions into their Research and Development departments, basically throwing wet tissue paper at a wall hoping that something sticks. Their bread and butter is TV's and DVR's but that has not been going to well lately. Their approach though innovative seems a bit unstable.