Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #1

Which are the best websites to show your pics to clients.

I've been researching smugmug, bluemelon, flickr, vimeo, photobucket, etc ad nauseam... so, thought I'd ask you guys, what do you think is the best?

For both videos & photography. Looking forward to hearing what you guys think or use.

Last edited by MyTZuS; 12-10-2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: spelling
12-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The combination of copyright retention, customize-ability, reasonable price, ease of setting up private folders, easy to set up sales, and the ability to mix video and photos in the same sets made zenfolio my choice, and I couldn't be happier with it
12-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #3

I'm no Pro, nor do I have any clients to share photos with. I'd just like to throw out another option: dropbox. Some of the services you listed aren't the easiest to download a batch of pictures in full resolution. I'd be interested to see what other people use too...
12-10-2014, 06:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
Was just looking at Zenfolio... looks interesting. And the points that jbondo makes all hit the mark!

quimming, if file transfers are your thing then look at Microsofts One Drive, they are giving away 15GB for signing up. Much better than Dropbox.

12-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #5

500px is also a great photo sharing website. Very clean and uncluttered interface with an excellent presentation.
12-10-2014, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by quimming Quote
I'm no Pro, nor do I have any clients to share photos with. I'd just like to throw out another option: dropbox. Some of the services you listed aren't the easiest to download a batch of pictures in full resolution. I'd be interested to see what other people use too...
In Zenfolio, you have the option to enable or disable single click downloading of entire sets at full res. That way you can disable it for public sets, and enable it for private sets on a folder by folder basis. You can even put a password on the batch download on otherwise publicly accessible folders. It's quite flexible. The sets download as a single zipped file. Quite convenient.
12-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I was a paying user of Zenfolio for a year. Although most of the service was solid and had the features I needed, it didn't work completely right with Windows Phone, Android tablets, or any recent flavor of Internet Explorer. Geeks don't use IE, but its still has a 50% market share. Also, they updated the back end at one point and messed up my site, which I had based on one of their templates. I unfortunately learned this from a customer. The support response, ultimately, was I was s.o.l., they changed the back end and if that made stuff stop working and look like crap I just had to find work around it... let us know if we can not help you anymore.

For $150/year, I moved to my own hosting when my sub was up. For me, it took about as much time as using the Zenfolio web site builder, except I could use plugins and wasn't limited to the features in their web builder interface.

12-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
remember that you are building a brand around your name, or the company name.

any website url that doesn't promote your brand name will be counter-productive.

as an example, the url could be www.MyTZuS.com

some 3rd party hosting solutions will allow you to use your url, on their hosting platform... that's what you want.
12-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Zenfolio, 500px and SmugMug allow custom domain names.
12-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
Which are the best websites to show your pics to clients
If it's really for your clients, I would seriously suggest it should be your own website.
12-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are dealing “face to face” with clients then I would be more impressed in seeing prints of any work that you had done and not look at a screen.
A good quality 8x10 print is better any day than a digital image.

Phil.