Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
DSLR's are doomed!

According to this article, smartphone users are getting this new Game Changing feature, namely – RAW format. No more of those pesky jpegs! Propelled by raw power of this feature, smartographers will finally be able to achieve just as impressive results, as those of DSLR users. Its time to forget this embarrassingly antique technology and move on.

(And apparently, this feature comes with free lollipops! )

12-25-2014, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

DSLRs were doomed the moment we were able to fake DOF using a Gaussian blur and add lens flare in Photoshop.
12-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ultrapentaxionalist Quote
According to this article, smartphone users are getting this new Game Changing feature, namely – RAW format. No more of those pesky jpegs! Propelled by raw power of this feature, smartographers will finally be able to achieve just as impressive results, as those of DSLR users. Its time to forget this embarrassingly antique technology and move on.

Yes, yes, we're doomed. Nothing to see here, move along.
12-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Again!?
...please... :-P

RAW capture on a smartphone will be a nice feature, methinks... :-)

12-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Again!?
...please... :-P

RAW capture on a smartphone will be a nice feature, methinks... :-)
And then, you can wifi the 20MB photo to another user on his/her cellphone so he/she can view it too....
12-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations. The first "Doomed" post I've seen on here that wasn't specifically about Pentax.
12-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Not at the rate the people on this board are buying them they're not. How many of you have more than one? Go on, raise hands... (MK raises her own...) I would say we're doing a pretty good job of putting off any imminent doom Pentax and it's DSLR line up might be facing. In fact, I'll wager we WILL get not only a bunch of new ones soon, but eventually that much wanted FF that so many people are demanding. I just have a feeling it will be this next year, as in 2015, I really do...

12-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Oh no...

12-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No more Eye-Fi! Yikes!

12-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
And then, you can wifi the 20MB photo to another user on his/her cellphone so he/she can view it too....
No, the generic, impersonal "you" (likely not a member of this forum) can continue to shoot jpeg, while I can shoot RAW and PP those shots I want to get when I don't have my camera with me but I see something that catches my eye...
12-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ultrapentaxionalist Quote

Imaging the pro wedding photographers will be using cellphones (yeah it takes RAW).... and they blend in with the guests using ipads and cellphones. The host party will have a hard time finding the pro photog: can we have the photog come over here to take picture with our cute flower girl? ... someone shouted, which one? they all are......
12-25-2014, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, because RAW is the only reason we own a DSLR......
12-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see this as anything important. The number of smartphone users who own a desktop with post processing software but who don't own an SLR or MILC has to be tiny.
12-25-2014, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't see this as anything important. The number of smartphone users who own a desktop with post processing software but who don't own an SLR or MILC has to be tiny.
Actually that's not true. My SIL a chronic Facebook selfie freak who has never touched a real camera in her life and who can't even begin to use a computer properly most of the time let alone do any real photo imaging owns a copy of Photoshop Elements. It's on the family computer and 90% of the time she won't use it. She just uses some in phone application instead, or if she is desperate asks me to fix whatever it is she needs fixed, but she has it. So do most of her friends from what I can tell. Most people like that they don't own their own PC, but many families have one for all of them, mainly for the kids homework and shopping. My SIL and her husband they don't have DSLR's etc. They do have smart phones and tablets and they do not lack for pics. I'm teaching their kids though and now they have DSLR's and film cameras. That's my doing though. I'm the one who started that, who got them interested in the real deal. If it were up to their parents they'd just be using the ones on their phones...
12-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, I am sure those little tiny 1/3 inch Sony sensors and 4mm focal length lenses are going to completely out pace the DSLR market immediately after Apple introduces the ability to shoot in RAW... NOT!!!
The ability to work an image is not dictated by the "type" of image alone...