Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #16
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Supertelephoto is severely compromised by manual focus, regardless of peaking and magnification. MF is just too slow for many situations.
agreed to some extent, i've had to deal with that at only 300mm on the a7r... there were times when i did indeed wish for af.

flip side is that magnification is more accurate than autofocus will ever be.

take a look at the manual focus bif shots in this guys website link, and tell us again how it won't work:
What one purchase rocked your photographic world in 2014?: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

he uses a sony nex7 and canon 500mm and 800mm lenses... the old fd glass is a bargain.

higher iso capability on the a7s allows for a faster shutter speed, not longer shot times

12-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
The α7R seems to be a good camera, but browsing Sony pages, there are 5 lenses listed as compatible
- FE 24-70
- FE 28-70
- FE 70-200
- FE 35
- FE 55
And that's it...
The system is only one year old. Yes they have limited lens options, but they will have 10 lenses + Zeiss Loxia lenses by the end of 2015. How many lenses do you need? I really only need 5 and 90% of my work could be done with just 3.

QuoteOriginally posted by jespin Quote
.but the A7ii is on order.
It is a very impressive little camera. I'm still learning all of the controls. I think you will really love the colors. Colors have been the most impressive and surprising thing about the camera so far. The AF is also much faster than I expected. The Sony Zeiss 55mm F/1.8 is a really, really good lens.

I have an ambivalent feeling about Sony.
I don't care for Sony as a "brand", but then brands are meaningless to me. The A7m2 is a really impressive little camera. Image quality is more important than brand, and the A7m2 has very impressive IQ.

The Sony A7II Real World Camera Review. My Camera of the Year 2014. | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
12-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
take a look at the manual focus bif shots in this guys website link, and tell us again how it won't work:
What one purchase rocked your photographic world in 2014?: Sony Alpha/NEX E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
I don't see a website link, but I'm very familiar with shooting BIF with manual focus, having used an A*300 for a couple of years. MF is passable if the bird is flying parallel to you, but if the bird is coming on a diagonal or straight at you, you're only likely to manage one or two good ones.

Face it, no Nat Geo photographer would use an A7 for BIF. I'm not a pro photographer and I need all the help I can get, especially good AF-C and tracking.
12-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The system is only one year old. Yes they have limited lens options, but they will have 10 lenses + Zeiss Loxia lenses by the end of 2015. How many lenses do you need? I really only need 5 and 90% of my work could be done with just 3.

It is a very impressive little camera. I'm still learning all of the controls. I think you will really love the colors. Colors have been the most impressive and surprising thing about the camera so far. The AF is also much faster than I expected. The Sony Zeiss 55mm F/1.8 is a really, really good lens.

I don't care for Sony as a "brand", but then brands are meaningless to me. The A7m2 is a really impressive little camera. Image quality is more important than brand, and the A7m2 has very impressive IQ.

The Sony A7II Real World Camera Review. My Camera of the Year 2014. | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Both cameras really look interesting, no dicussion. I can also agree with many points from Jason Lanier's list.
I also believe that in time there may appear new lenses. Still I think you're much more free with Pentax resp. K-mount and plenty of lenses you can choose from.

Concerning brands - I don't care that much either. But can't forget my laptop headache. 2500 USD invested just to find out in a number of months that there won't be any support anymore. "Cheated" is the right word. My trust in Sony is simply gone.

12-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Concerning brands - I don't care that much either. But can't forget my laptop headache. 2500 USD invested just to find out in a number of months that there won't be any support anymore. "Cheated" is the right word. My trust in Sony is simply gone.
I was shooting with the Canon 5D when the A900 was released. I was seriously considering switching over. The A900 was a fantastic camera to work with, but like all cameras it had a lot of small issues that needed to be addressed with firmware. After about a year someone asked a Sony marketing executive about firmware fixes for the A900. The Sony executive replied back that the "A900 was a finished product" meaning that once they released a camera they were done with it. I hear that executive is now counting megapixels with a magnifying glass for the sensor division. Sony's camera division has changed significantly from just a few years ago and those with a consumer electronics mentality have been moved to other positions. Sony still isn't Fuji when it comes to product support, but then neither is Ricoh.

The people working on the A7 and A99 lines don't have the consumer electronics mindset that was a major problem for Sony for the first 5+ years after acquiring Minolta. Sony brought over a lot of people from the P&S and consumer electronics division to run the new DSLR business and what they should have done is brought in people from their professional audio and HD video businesses.
12-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #21
osv
Veteran Member

DSC008321 is the nex7/800mm mf stuff, i think

shooting an a6000 at 11fps, with focus peaking in the evf, there would be some keepers, but like you said, i can't imagine it being as good as an af system.

tradeoff is that it's much cheaper than an expensive native af telephoto lens.

---------- Post added 12-30-2014 at 12:07 PM ----------

I bought a high-end laptop from Sony few years ago but soon they resigned on releasing of new drivers or updates. No chance to upgrade the laptop to new version of OS, etc.
i started doing i.t. support for a living many years ago... it's normal for a computer company to stop releasing bios updates for motherboards after a period, because in theory they have fixed the major issues already.

for example, the seriously overclocked msi motherboard in my desktop pc got it's last bios update in 2012... it doesn't need another one of those, but intel is still releasing chipset driver updates for it, via the msi download page, or through windows update... same thing would have been true for the sony laptop.

the operating system(winxp, win7, etc.) can be updated separately from all that, it's not tied to the hardware at all.
12-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #22
Pentaxian

the operating system(winxp, win7, etc.) can be updated separately from all that, it's not tied to the hardware at all.

Well definitely you can update the OS, but if there're no drivers provided by Sony and hardware manufacturer tells you that you have to ask Sony for the drivers... then you're running in a loop.

Maybe I could accept it in case of a low-cost no-name product, but for sure not in case of a brand new high-end SONY laptop.

I have much better experience with Dell, Asus or even Acer. All of them purchased for 1/2 price or even less compared to VAIO.

And what's most superior - there's no VAIO anymore, Sony quit the PC business completely. This evokes the question: for how long do they plan to stay in the camera business?

12-30-2014, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Whilst not wanting to buy into the discussion.......I can't help but point out how a statement/reference like this doesn't prove a point.

The guy could be Michael Jordan of the photography world and a normal/average person could never look to achieve/enjoy the ball, boots or other gear Michael could make music with. Just saying.
12-30-2014, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Choosing between those two should be a relatively easy. The GR is significantly smaller and lighter, the sensor is over two stops better, and the lens quality is superior. The X30 can zoom to 112mmm.

Ricoh GR is 1% narrower and 15% shorter than FujiFilm X30.
Ricoh GR is 42% thinner than FujiFilm X30.
Ricoh GR weighs 42% less than FujiFilm X30 (inc. batteries and memory card).

Compare camera dimensions side by side
What he said. The GR is very attractive now. But, I have a K-01 that uses all those lovely lenses and a Q, so the GR is not on the horizon for me.
12-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
What he said. The GR is very attractive now. But, I have a K-01 that uses all those lovely lenses and a Q, so the GR is not on the horizon for me.
You guys are right. Indeed, it is an easy choice, I guess I was looking for some ways to add a non-Pentax camera in the cabinet, when I shouldn't really be. I guess I should be contented with the Q/Q7
12-30-2014, 11:59 PM   #26
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
The guy could be Michael Jordan of the photography world and a normal/average person could never look to achieve/enjoy the ball, boots or other gear Michael could make music with. Just saying.
shoes are not a factor in mj's game, and everyone on the court plays with the same ball... but better photo gear gives everyone the opportunity to improve their game.

whether they are capable of taking advantage of better gear is a personal issue, that's not relevant to the gear itself.

---------- Post added 12-30-2014 at 11:03 PM ----------

And what's most superior - there's no VAIO anymore, Sony quit the PC business completely. This evokes the question: for how long do they plan to stay in the camera business?
the imaging division of sony has been turning a profit for most of this year, so there is no logical reason for thinking that they are planning on bailing out of a profitable venture.

here is a partial list of computer companies that have gone out of business... it's a tough game to be in.

Acorn Computers
Alliant Computer Systems - Ceased operations in 1992.
Altos Computer Systems - acquired by Acer in 1990.
Amdahl Corporation - A wholly owned subsidiary of Fujitsu since 1997.
Amstrad
Apollo Computer - Acquired by Hewlett-Packard in 1989.
Apricot Computers - ceased operations in 1999.
Ardent Computer - Merged with Stellar Computer to form Stardent in 1989.
AST Computers, LLC - Exited the computer market in 2001.
Atari Corporation
Bell & Howell
Beltron Computers[7]
Burroughs - Merged with Sperry to form Unisys in 1986.
Celerity Computing - Acquired by Floating Point Systems in 1988.
Commodore International - declared bankruptcy in 1994.
Compaq - Acquired by Hewlett-Packard in 2002. Defunct as a subsidiary as of 2010.
CompuAdd - filed for bankruptcy in 1993.
Computer Automation
Control Data Corporation (CDC) - Shrank as units were spun off from 1988 to 1992; remainder is now Ceridian.
Convex Computer - purchased by Hewlett-Packard in 1995
Corona Data Systems - among the original "IBM PC Compatible" clone makers
Cromemco
Data General - was one of the first minicomputer firms from the late 1960s, purchased by EMC in 1999 for its innovative RAID array storage.
Digital Equipment Corporation - Acquired by Compaq in 1998.
Durango Systems Corporation merged with Molecular Systems in 1982 which went bankrupt in 1984
Eagle Computer - ceased operations in 1986.
Eckert–Mauchly Computer - Acquired by Remington Rand in 1950.
Egenera
Elonex — Sells tablets (as of 2011)
Encore Computer - Acquired by Gores Technology Group in 1998 and renamed to Encore Real Time Computing, which Gores then sold to Compro Computer Services in 2002.
English Electric - merged into International Computers Limited.
eMachines - Discontinued by its current owner Acer in 2012.
Everex - US subsidiary closed its doors in 2009.
Evesham - merged into TIME Computers.
Franklin Computer Corporation - exited computer hardware business and reorganized into Franklin Electronic Publishers.
Gateway - Acquired by Acer in October 2007
General Electric - Sold its computer division to Honeywell in 1970.
Gericom
Gould Electronics - Sold its computer division to Nippon Mining in 1988, who in turn sold it to Encore Computer later that year.
Honeywell - Sold its computer division to Groupe Bull in 1991.
International Computers and Tabulators (ICT) - merged into International Computers Limited.
International Computers Limited (ICL) - now part of Fujitsu.
Kaypro - filed for bankruptcy in 1992.
Korea Data Systems (KDS) - merged with eMachines
Leading Edge - Mid '80s leader in PC Clone for the masses - Manufacturing done first by Mitsubishi then Daewoo
Luxor AB - Ended in 1986 after being acquired by Nokia the previous year.
Magnavox
Magnuson Computer Systems - filed for bankruptcy in early 1980s.
Maxdata (Germany) - Insolvent in 2008; warranty for existing products taken over by then the Swiss Belinea AG (see Belinea), now owned by Bluechip Computer. Warranty for Belinea products purchased before 1 November 2008 is not serviced anymore by Bluechip Computer.[4]
Mitsubishi Electronics - Closed computer systems division in 1990 Manufactured systems for Leading Edge and Sperry-Unisys
MPC (formerly MicronPC) - Filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy on November 7, 2008. Efforts at reorganization failed.
Multiflow Computer - Ceased operations in 1990.
NeXT - acquired by Apple Computer in 1996.
Nixdorf Computer - Acquired by Siemens in 1991, renamed Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG.
Northgate Computer Systems - Acquired by Lan Plus in 1997, after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 1994; Lan Plus later renamed itself Northgate Innovations.
Osborne Computer - Ceased operations in 1985; rights to the Osbourne brand were sold to Mikrolog.
Packard Bell - is now a subsidiary of Acer.
PC Brand - acquired by Tandon Corporation in 1991.[5]
Philips Data Systems - acquired by Digital Equipment Corporation in 1992.
Processor Technology - Ceased operations in 1979.
Psystar - Under 2009 permanent injunction to stop selling computers with Apple's Mac OS X operating system. Psystar's web site has disappeared.
Pyramid Technology - Acquired by Siemens in 1995.
Quantex Microsystems - Bankrupt in 2000.
Radio Shack
RCA - Exited the computer business in 1971; Sperry Rand took over RCA's installed base in 1972.
Research Machines - Exited manufacturing in late 2013. Brand continues as a services company.
Remington Rand - Acquired by Sperry to form Sperry Rand in 1955.
Sanyo
Scientific Data Systems - Acquired by Xerox in 1969.
Sequent Computer Systems - Acquired by IBM in 1999.
Sharp Corporation
Siemens - Computer division (Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG) merged 50/50 with Fujitsu into Fujitsu Siemens Computers in 1999, then Siemens half bought by Fujitsu in 2009.
Silicon Graphics - acquired by Rackable Systems in 2009, when Rackable then re-branded to SGI.
Sinclair Research - acquired by Amstrad in 1986.
Solbourne Computer - Acquired by Deloitte Consulting in 2008.
Soyo
Sperry - Merged with Burroughs to form Unisys in 1986.
Sperry Rand - Dropped "Rand" from its name in 1978 and continued as Sperry.
Stardent - Ceased operations in 1992.
Stellar Computer - Merged with Ardent Computer to form Stardent in 1989.
Sun Microsystems - Acquired by Oracle Corporation in 2010.
Systems Engineering Laboratories - Acquired by Gould Electronics in 1981 and became Gould's computer division.
Tandon Corporation
Tandy Corporation - Previous parent company of RadioShack, produced the TRS-80 and Tandy 1000 and 2000 IBM PC compatible computers. Sold their computer division to AST Computers in the early 1990s.
Tiny Computers - merged into TIME Computers.
Texas Instruments
Tulip Computers - changed its name to Nedfield NV in 2008, pronounced bankrupt in 3 September 2009.
Vigor Gaming (USA) - Disappeared in March 2010
VoodooPC
VTech
Wang Laboratories - acquired by Getronics in 1999.
Xerox - Exited the computer business.
Zenith Data Systems - Merged With Packard Bell and NEC in 1996
Zeos - merged into MPC Corporation in 1996, which in turn filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2008.
Zepto Computers A/S (Denmark) - On 17 November 2009 Zepto Computer was declared bankrupt, after several tries to save the company.[6]

Last edited by osv; 12-31-2014 at 12:05 AM.
12-31-2014, 03:10 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Computers are a very tough business to be in. Volumes are high but it is very expensive to keep up with the competition in technology, and they are prices as commodities.

Cameras have low volume and can be played with a slightly slower product cycle but there are a couple of big players who could choose to exercise predatory pricing on their competitors.
01-01-2015, 07:59 AM   #28
Pentaxian

agreed to some extent, i've had to deal with that at only 300mm on the a7r... there were times when i did indeed wish for af.

flip side is that magnification is more accurate than autofocus will ever be.

he uses a sony nex7 and canon 500mm and 800mm lenses... the old fd glass is a bargain.

higher iso capability on the a7s allows for a faster shutter speed, not longer shot times
If you look on this site you can find shots where someone used an old long lens and manually focused. Fine as far as it goes, but it says much about the photographer in a positive way, as well as much about the inadequacy of the platform in a negative way.
01-01-2015, 11:43 AM   #29
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
If you look on this site you can find shots where someone used an old long lens and manually focused. Fine as far as it goes, but it says much about the photographer in a positive way, as well as much about the inadequacy of the platform in a negative way.
that doesn't make sense, and i'm not going to try guessing at it.