Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #1

Jason Lanier: 10 Reasons Why A Pro Photog Left Nikon and started shooting with Sony

12-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting. On a forum for stock photographers I read, it is surprising how many old school photogs are selling off big FF Canon and Nikon gear and moving to Sony or Fuji. They report little difference in the image quality, for what they are shooting, and far less weight and bother. These are guys who have been shooting into that market for 20 years and more, not newbies shifting to the next big thing.
12-29-2014, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

10 reasons! Weird, seems some Pentaxians only need two or three to leave Pentax

Last edited by Na Horuk; 12-29-2014 at 01:54 PM.
12-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
only need two or three to leave Pentax
two or three?? I thought it was only one..........

12-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not leaving Pentax....but the A7ii is on order.
12-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The α7R seems to be a good camera, but browsing Sony pages, there are 5 lenses listed as compatible
- FE 24-70
- FE 28-70
- FE 70-200
- FE 35
- FE 55
And that's it...

I mean it's not bad to have a light-weight camera if you're travelling - with short and wide lens. But what's the point if you need 300 mm or more?

Last edited by zzeitg; 12-29-2014 at 04:20 PM.
12-29-2014, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Im not ditching my k-mount Dslr's for anything, but i can see a fuji mirrorless in my future at some stage. They look and feel really nice to use. But not a Sony.

12-29-2014, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I have an ambivalent feeling about Sony. On one hand there're some products which I could appreciate. On the other hand there's an absolute lack of support. I bought a high-end laptop from Sony few years ago but soon they resigned on releasing of new drivers or updates. No chance to upgrade the laptop to new version of OS, etc..

Overlooking Sony digital cameras, they truly experimented with different techniques, but it's like they had everything and nothing.
I'd probably buy a TV from Sony, but not a camera.
12-29-2014, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
I have an ambivalent feeling about Sony. On one hand there're some products which I could appreciate. On the other hand there's an absolute lack of support. I bought a high-end laptop from Sony few years ago but soon they resigned on releasing of new drivers or updates. No chance to upgrade the laptop to new version of OS, etc..

Overlooking Sony digital cameras, they truly experimented with different techniques, but it's like they had everything and nothing.
I'd probably buy a TV from Sony, but not a camera.

You have probably captured what the problem is.

Sony may be thinking as a producer of products, not systems. Products stand alone and when the producer decides to make a new one there is no need to ensure any kind of compatibility. Systems encourage buyers to buy in and get a lot of inter-related items with a view to upgrading them one at a time and continuing to use the others with the new items. But if the maker chops and changes so the system buying approach fails it creates disappointment and for some, locked in to obsoleteness because they cannot afford to buy again.

At my work we bought a few Sony laptops. A year later a HD failed. They would not supply a replacement HD.

For me, my camera is a system - I can only afford to buy items slowly so I want the lenses I get now to work with the next body in 5-8 years etc. When I get a car I will sell this car when I get the next one. There is no need for anything from the present car to fit the next car. So the camera is a system purchase and the car is a product purchase.

Last edited by tim60; 12-29-2014 at 07:23 PM.
12-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The α7R seems to be a good camera, but browsing Sony pages, there are 5 lenses listed as compatible
- FE 24-70
- FE 28-70
- FE 70-200
- FE 35
- FE 55
And that's it...
and how many of those lenses can you mount on your pentax? none.

but the a7r can mount and use every single pentax lens that's ever been made.

I mean it's not bad to have a light-weight camera if you're travelling - with short and wide lens. But what's the point if you need 300 mm or more?
you got it backwards... try finding a piece of long glass that can't be used on e-mount.
12-29-2014, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I would sooner try Fuji rather than Sony or Samsung. Their product quality and customer support have always left me feel cheated.
12-30-2014, 06:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The video contains a boatload of hyperbole. I own a K-3 and a6000. If the Sony covers your requirements, it's a truly great camera for the price, but the lens selection is very limiting and AF is not as good as claimed on the net. The K-3 is a better camera for more money and satisfies more of my needs. At this time, MILC cannot supersede DSLR for me and many others There have been surprising advances in AF-C recently, so who knows when that will change?

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
I would sooner try Fuji rather than Sony or Samsung. Their product quality and customer support have always left me feel cheated.
Fuji cheats on ISO numbers and applies heavy NR to raw files.

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
try finding a piece of long glass that can't be used on e-mount.
Supertelephoto is severely compromised by manual focus, regardless of peaking and magnification. MF is just too slow for many situations.

Last edited by audiobomber; 12-30-2014 at 06:41 AM.
12-30-2014, 06:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Fuji cheats on ISO numbers.
Slightly off topic, but still related, now that the GR price has gone down and basically now equally priced with the newer X30 (in this part of the world), the GR or the X30?

I'm thinking of getting a P&S.
12-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #14
Pentaxian

That's all very inspiring.... but if memory serves me well, the base ISO on a K-3 is 100 ISO on my Sigma it's 200 ISO, I'm not sure what it is on an A7s. But, looking at the DxO ratings.... the Sony A7s is 1.5 stops better in low light than my K-3. You seriously have to ask... how much is 1.5 stops worth to you? I suspect that means that if I'm happy shooting at 400 on my K-3 I'd be happy shooting at 1200 ISO on an A7s. And if I'm shooting at 1/400 on my K-3 I could shoot as high as 1/1200 on an A7s. While that is quite the leap in sensitivity... the fact that I have to go manual to shoot at 400mm, or even 250mm is a real downer. With no shake reduction, that's putting me into two second timer country, brutal for wildlife. 1.5 stops gained in ISO , 2 stops lost in shake reduction.

Can anyone figure out where the sweet spot on the ISO curve is for dynamic range. To me, that's always the first question. Not how high will it go cleanly, at what ISO is my best image going to be.
12-30-2014, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Slightly off topic, but still related, now that the GR price has gone down and basically now equally priced with the newer X30 (in this part of the world), the GR or the X30?

I'm thinking of getting a P&S.
Choosing between those two should be a relatively easy. The GR is significantly smaller and lighter, the sensor is over two stops better, and the lens quality is superior. The X30 can zoom to 112mmm.

Ricoh GR is 1% narrower and 15% shorter than FujiFilm X30.
Ricoh GR is 42% thinner than FujiFilm X30.
Ricoh GR weighs 42% less than FujiFilm X30 (inc. batteries and memory card).

Compare camera dimensions side by side