Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How Much for a Photo?

Just curious, I was contacted by a publishing company to possibly use a photo in a travel guide. I know the travel guide is published by the state tourism group and is given away free. What do they normally pay for using these type photos? They may ask and I don't want to over or under price it too badly.

01-10-2015, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Virtually all requests I have received have come from parties only seeking permission to use my photos. They have never offered me any compensation. (Although one business did give me a nice polo shirt!) If possible, I would try to get a byline. To date I've received requests from individuals, publications, web sites, businesses, and organizations such as tourism offices, as you mentioned.

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 01-10-2015 at 04:24 PM.
01-10-2015, 04:23 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The photo licensing world is a bit of a mess right now. Essentially you can pay almost anything you want depending on your contract with a distributor or agency. It also depends greatly on the license and terms they are looking for. If they want exclusive use for unlimited time anything up to $1,000 would be possible. For print runs of less than 250,000 and non-exclusive rights (meaning you can sell it again) $100 - $200 would not be impossible.

However, if they have a contract with a stock agency they might pay considerably less depending on their contract and volume. On my own website I sell generic 'stock' images for $5.00. More for special images, a lot more for scenics or unique ones.

If you do not normally sell images I would tell them you don't know what the right price would be and ask if $250 is too much. They might be delighted with that or think you are robbing them, so leave the door open for them to suggest a price.
01-10-2015, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm surprised they're not asking you to pay them to publish your photo

01-10-2015, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would kill to just be included in our state's little monthly travel guide - er, really magazine...... I would gladly give (as in free beer) any image of their choice (but of course they are not asking).
Which reminds me, I was actually intending to subscribe.

01-10-2015, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Is the photo on any stock sites? If so, you can't ask much if anything.

$250 is about the going rate right now for royalty-free, non-stock commercial images unless they are truly exceptional or the buyer wants exclusivity. But as Jatrax said, they can go for $1 to $10,000.
01-10-2015, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tom, I had a cover of the local YP directory with 25,000 circulation - $200 was what I was offered. There was an opportunity to sell other images if I had ones for appropriate areas (which I did not).

01-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, my image is on Flickr (All rights reserved ©) It's not a done deal that they want it, but since they are asking me they probably want it. Here's part of their email: "Would you be interested in submitting your image for consideration? We print 400,000 copies, so it really is a great way to promote your photography for the year. We are happy to offer payment for this one-time usage."
01-10-2015, 06:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If your state tourism group is anything like those in my state of New York, they have a budget for publicity, so asking for $200-300 for one time print rights seems reasonable*, but you might also ask that they credit the photo with your name and, if you have one, your website.

*Edit: I was too slow in hitting the "publish" button. I see from your latest post that they mentioned payment.

Last edited by Tamia; 01-10-2015 at 06:41 PM.
01-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Getty has a calculator. I took a couple of guesses - see below. The territory being the US might be too large (but its the only choice), which probably pushes the price up some amount. It came up with $2,500, which I think might be too high. I believe that they take at least half and have a high overhead. But it is a price point.
QuoteQuote:
1. Image usage
Use: Marketing and promotional collateral
Format: Brochure and direct mail
This use covers: Printed material that is designed with a cover and interior. Includes brochures, direct mail pieces, envelopes, sales catalogs, folders and pamphlets.
2. Usage specs
Size: Up to 1/8 page
Placement: Multiple use - Inside
Circulation: Up to 500,000
Distribution: No electronic distribution
Start date: 10 Jan 2015
Duration: Up to 1 year
3. Target market
Territory: United States
Industry: Travel / Tourism
So, I am going to guess - taking the $2500, cutting it in half to eliminate the Getty Tax, brings it to $1250.
Adjusting for the territory - downsizing from the US to a regional area, say 25% would bring it down to about $312.

Last edited by interested_observer; 01-10-2015 at 09:11 PM.
01-10-2015, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last report I saw Getty keeps 85%.
01-10-2015, 10:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The photo licensing world is a bit of a mess right now
That is one way of putting it.

I work out my pricing depending on the clients usage, predicted sales volume, and negotiate on copyright - a majority of the fashion,commercial product, and glamour portraiture work I do I sell in its entirety - I get paid more than your average studio photographer because I sell the rights to those images, and in any case: I personally have no use for them. Wildlife and landscape photography are what I would rather be remembered for.
01-11-2015, 08:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Getty has a calculator.
Alamy also has a calculator to compare with. Pick an image, select 'rights-managed license' and enter details.

You might also check past editions to see if any of the photos used are by photographers you're friendly with and might be comfortable discussing compensation they've received.
01-17-2015, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
How Much for a Photo?
The real truth is... as much as you can get away with, good luck.
02-11-2015, 10:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Typically you won't get big money from this kind if deal however if you insist on a credit line that will help with your resume and networking.