Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2015, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

The photographer can sue and might win a settlement. Unfortunately, the settlement gets paid by taxpayers rather than directly by the person responsible.

I had something vaguely similar happen but the officer drove away after 5 minutes of me arguing that it's not illegal to take photos of a bridge while standing on a sidewalk. I pursued the issue with internal affairs and got a commitment they would review training.

---------- Post added 01-12-15 at 06:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I never take pictures or film anything police related to avoid situations like this. Nevertheless police in this video seems to be more worried about the video than the actual accident
I am aware of that intimidation factor. I evaluated the ramifications of being arrested after my sidewalk incident, and decided that it's worth arrest if it might help preserve rights for everyone. I don't get in people's faces, but cops are no more and no less a street photography subject than anyone else.

01-12-2015, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Doesn't much look like a Democracy, does it? Well it actually isn't.
01-12-2015, 04:40 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The saddest thing about these encounters is that the *record* of arrest will NEVER go away.
The fingerprints, the mug shot and everything associated with the actual arrest become permanent record of the FBI and agencies.

There will be flags and markers about who can see and not, but the record created will be there.

Charges can be dropped, maybe fines will be waived, but the FBI will always know you got arrested.
Your *arrest* record is permanent and is never wiped clean.

It's one of the biggest misconceptions when people get arrested and things are "dropped".

Nope. You are marked for life when arrested.

So if you *do* get arrested again, at some point in your life - 20 years on or whatever - when the police ask "Have you ever been arrested?" and you answer "No" because you think everything was purged, the police will KNOW you are lying and then they become MORE suspicious and...well...it only gets worse since they know that you are lying.

So it really is best to say nothing. Remain silent. Know your rights.
01-12-2015, 05:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Some cops just take the Law into their own hands.

01-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
The saddest thing about these encounters is that the *record* of arrest will NEVER go away.
The fingerprints, the mug shot and everything associated with the actual arrest become permanent record of the FBI and agencies.
And the mere fact your fingerprints are in the database means that if a crime happens in the vicinity of you, you may get a visit from the police. You won't necessarily be suspected, but you may be a witness. And if they think you are lying when you know nothing...heaven help you.
01-13-2015, 05:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hmmm

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote

There will be flags and markers about who can see and not, but the record created will be there.

Charges can be dropped, maybe fines will be waived, but the FBI will always know you got arrested.
Your *arrest* record is permanent and is never wiped clean.

It's one of the biggest misconceptions when people get arrested and things are "dropped".

Nope. You are marked for life when arrested.

So if you *do* get arrested again, at some point in your life - 20 years on or whatever - when the police ask "Have you ever been arrested?" and you answer "No" because you think everything was purged, the police will KNOW you are lying and then they become MORE suspicious and...well...it only gets worse since they know that you are lying.

So it really is best to say nothing. Remain silent. Know your rights.

Yes , Kidnapped and held illegally against your will ...
What would happen to joe six pack if he kidnapped some one and held them against their will ????
Cops are above the law , and no one should be above the law .. Its a very dangerous road to hoe ...
01-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They'd have been arresting me too... and then there'd be one less idiot cop on the beat once I threatened to sue them for violating my rights as both a citizen and a journalist.

Mike

01-13-2015, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
Doesn't much look like a Democracy, does it? Well it actually isn't.
Indeed. It never has been a democracy, was never intended to be a democracy and calling it a democracy (setting up false expectations thereto) is a gross disservice to our population.

The only grosser disservice to our population is the tepid imitation of fact they call Civics in High School.