Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #16
TLS
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!! I'm going to give zenfolio a shot I think. Everyone's input is highly appreciated. Thanks

01-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, in a year or so, come back and give us your story about how things went and are going.
01-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As an aside, check with your local municipal laws... Ours here are pretty strict that if your charging money, you better have a business licence. A friend of mine was selling prints on his website, he was contacted by someone to purchase a print. When they met up for the exchange the person asked for his business licence. No licence was provided, and the client ended up being a bylaw officer who thankfully left him off with a warning that he needs that to sell product, offer, and provide services for money. There are rumors in our local community that bylaw has even contacted newer photographers through Kijiji/Craigslist/Website and asked for business licences and then sent a ticket/fine when one was not provided.

I've been approached for EVERY model/client shoot I've done in the downtown core... just irritates me, luckily I have a licence. The worst is that for us it's municipal. so I need a licence to shoot in Edmonton, another licence to shoot in Sherwood Park (which is a satellite city), another to shoot in Leduc... etc. Even worse, I need a business park licence to shoot in a national park, then another municipal licence to shoot in any towns within said park!!! A landscape photographer from that area has his licence as he's been hounded by Parks Canada via his website for selling landscape prints...

Back to the original topic... I used to use Squarespace, but left because I didn't like the interface redesign. Just before Christmas I started moving everything over to Smugmug. Still don't have it fully tweaked, but I really like how it's setup for online sales, private password protected galleries (for clients), and more... all on a four stage pricing scale. Lovely.
01-31-2015, 10:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TLS Quote
Does anyone have any advice on starting a website? My situation is I'm trying to start a local photography business and am looking into using photocrati or fotomerchant. Has anyone used either of these? or have any better advice?

I'm definitely a non-techie. Any help is greatly appreciated!
TLS
I used wordpress. Works well for me. There is a web hosted version, and one that you host yourself. You might consider the web hosted version ---> www.wordpress.com
My website is hosted on my own server Scott ConoverHome - Scott Conover