Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

help with website

Does anyone have any advice on starting a website? My situation is I'm trying to start a local photography business and am looking into using photocrati or fotomerchant. Has anyone used either of these? or have any better advice?

I'm definitely a non-techie. Any help is greatly appreciated!
TLS

01-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't know these two. Zenfolio is pretty straght-forward. I'm not a techie either and I managed to set one up in a couple of hours, including purchasing a domain name.
01-13-2015, 03:57 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not heard of them. But, If you have budget, then you can try smugmug.com (basic plan costs around $40 per year) which offers customizable website in addition to offering cloud storage for pictures.
01-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TLS Quote
Does anyone have any advice on starting a website? My situation is I'm trying to start a local photography business and am looking into using photocrati or fotomerchant. Has anyone used either of these? or have any better advice?
I'm not familiar with those two sites. There are so many these days.
I've been a Smugmug user for over a decade and think they are pretty darn excellent. Zenfolio is also very good. Smugmug is worth trying for a free 30 trial. If you end up a subscriber use this code and we both will become billionaires.

I think it is very important for you to develop a list of requirements you need to have fulfilled by any online photo hosting service. That way you can compare your priorities and scores for each function offered by competing sites.

Setting up any photo hosting service is relatively easy when compared with the amount of effort to grow a photography biz. A common error is to think that once your site is built, waves of orders will magically appear. That only happens if you are already famous or at least successful and people with money follow you.

M

01-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photocrati is a wordpress plugin. Nice features but you need to self host and handle everything yourself. It is not at all like Zenfolio or Smugmug which are sites that essentially rent you space for your site within their community.

I use Photocrati but not sure if I would have been better off with one of the photo sites like Smugmug.

Depends what you want to achieve. A better way to go about this is make a list of what you want to do then look at vehicles, not the other way round.
01-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does your internet service include Web space ( for a web site ) , if it does all you need is a domain ...
In fact that is where I would start is with a domain name ... The name of your website / address ( such as yourdomain.com - just an example )
A good domain name will help drive traffic to your site :

Once you have a Domain name , you need to decide on free hosting or payed hosting ... How much information you plan on sharing , and expected traffic ..
Do you have a Studio ? Or is the business going to be web based ?

I prefer the "KISS" principle for a business relates site , give the prospective customer the information they need on the first page , any further pages are there only as supplementary - to help expand on anything briefly described on the first page .
A lot of business is lost I believe by hiding information on back pages , like contact information . I don't know why some businesses hide there contact information ? This is crazy !
Put it on the first page ...

What sort of business were you looking at exactly ? Selling photos , or selling your services ? or both .
01-13-2015, 05:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photocrati user here. The Photocrati them for WordPress is easy to use and looks good when used correctly (I'm due for a revamp). One-time purchase on top of your domain costs. I use DreamHost for my hosting purposes ($120 per year).

Echoing the sentiments about having your own domain (ie www.yournamephotography.com), go for it. It's a life-saver to set yourself apart from others. Plus, think about how nice it'll look in your email footer, on your business cards, etc!

Everything will work out in the end, as once you have the website up and running, you can start to focus on your SEO and help drive traffic in. If you want to track your traffic, then you can always use a tracker and setup some ads on Craigslist to see if everything is working and people are accessing your site.

01-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zenfolio user here. I have the absolute basic level at only $25/year. If I want to pay more, I can get more. But my cost includes website creation and hosting, so I don't pay two fees. And it is extremely easy to set up and use.

One option is to start with a basic level of Zenfolio or your favorite all-in-one service, and then spend your first year honing your site. What kinds of photos and how many do you end up putting on the site? Do you want a blog? How much traffic can you attract to your site? What kind of comments do you get on it? How easy is it for you to use? Etc. Then, decide if you need a better level of service, or if you want to go with a Wordpress kind of site.
01-13-2015, 07:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Getting your own domain name is important for branding at a minimum. Once you get your own domain, you can directly link your Smugmug or Zen sites to it. Very easy 30 seconds.

M
01-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #10
TLS
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Everyone, thank you so much for your responses!!

I have recently purchased a domain name, so I could market myself locally.

One of the main things I want to achieve is to be able to have client galleries that they can log into and look and order from.
I also wanted to be able to sell and be able to print my own pictures for my own local sales and framing.

It looks like zenfolio and smugmug both have these. The cost of both of these doesn't seem to bad.

I'll look further into both of these. Any other suggestions?

Thank You!!!!
01-14-2015, 03:13 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a quick thought about promotion ... look at Google Adwords ... you can limit your spend and target a specific audience very easily ... and you only pay when a prospective customer clicks your ad. In my business it's much more effective than print advertising. And you can usually get some kind of try and buy deal to give you a taste for it.
01-14-2015, 06:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Not for the faint of heart but i actually ended up making my own site from scratch with stuff i learned in the intro to web design class
01-14-2015, 06:51 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
Just a quick thought about promotion ... look at Google Adwords ... you can limit your spend and target a specific audience very easily ... and you only pay when a prospective customer clicks your ad. In my business it's much more effective than print advertising. And you can usually get some kind of try and buy deal to give you a taste for it.
That's really good input.
I don't utilize Adwords, but I know others who do.
Smugmug has Google Analytics capabilities.

M
01-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a lot of options like pre-programmed Smugmug, Zenfolio and the like.

If you want something more customizable but relatively easy to create try these guys How to Create a Website - Best Online Site Creator | Easysite
01-15-2015, 09:52 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TLS Quote

I'm definitely a non-techie. Any help is greatly appreciated!
TLS
If you plan to sell photos online make sure you get the percentage of each sale these website hosting companies are going to charge you. Companies like Smugmug will usually take a small cut from each sale you manage to make, plus there is the annual Hosting fee which is around $150+(depending on the features) for professional photography .