Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sports Illustrated Lays Off All Staff Photographers

The title pretty much says it all.... just in time for the Super Bowl!
QuoteQuote:
Smith said the six staff photographers "have contributed to the success of the magazine and the Sports Illustrated franchise, and I hope that they may continue to do so under slightly different circumstances." He said that while the six are no longer staff photographers, that does not preclude them for continuing to shoot for the magazine if they so desire.

According to a source at Time-Life the layoffs will be effective in March, possibly on differing dates for specific photographers due to their individual agreements with the company. But because of this, the laid-off photographers will still be shooting the upcoming Super Bowl together for the magazine.

01-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

"In the future, we will be relying on our readers to submit pictures to be used for the exposure they receive, trolling Flickr begging to images for profit without paying for them, and asking our former staff photographers to work as contractors at a fraction of their previous pay and benefits."

Didn't Time mag already fire all their photographers?
01-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In 2002 SI sent a team of writers and photographers and a Senior Editor to my daughter's high school to produce an article on the oldest HS football rivalries in the USA - they 'shot' the 100th game for ours.

My daughter, as Photography Editor and Senior Staff Photographer for the Yearbook, was coached for a week by SI Staff Professionals and shot the game with her individual 'mentor' standing next to her shoulder. Her portfolio was juried by the team and returned about six weeks later. That's actually in her professional Curriculum Vitae as a Senior Network News Producer.

My, how times have changed in just 13 years.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-23-2015 at 09:44 PM.
01-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Professional Photographers becoming a thing of the past?
Will this mean that professional cameras will be replaced with all consumer models?

Times change..

01-23-2015, 06:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Will this mean that professional cameras will be replaced with all consumer models?

Times change..
what is the difference between the images produced by professional and consumer and is that difference big enough to justify professional equipment
01-23-2015, 07:01 PM - 7 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
what is the difference between the images produced by professional and consumer and is that difference big enough to justify professional equipment
A Lot!

Best from each decade in 60 years of Sports Illustrated - More Sports - SI.com

Last edited by Docrwm; 01-23-2015 at 07:08 PM.
01-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
A Lot!
Amen.

01-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
SI will still have professional photographers. They will just have to work for starvation wages as freelancers...
01-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
SI will still have professional photographers. They will just have to work for starvation wages as freelancers...
With access like this?
01-23-2015, 08:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

This is all about paying the photographers less. The Toronto Star went the same way yeas ago, but still have a staff of 6 or 7.
01-23-2015, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a shame, at a rag like SI the photographers were the only pros.
01-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
With access like this?
Yes. Guys like Walter Looss are already free lancers. Check out "Keepers of the Streak" on ESPN tomorrow...though Walter likes to shoot the Super Bowl from row 40 (He only gets close to the swimsuit models...). John Biever is one of those staff photographers who got laid off today. He is another who has shot every Super Bowl, you think that will end? Mickey Palmer and Tony Tomsic are, like Looss, in their 70s, wonder if they will continue.

Last edited by boriscleto; 01-23-2015 at 08:15 PM.
01-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote

Times change..
Maybe the web? Too many cable sports shows?
01-23-2015, 10:15 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I think it's because they were using full frame, and SI really wants photographers who shoot APS-C only? SI is DOOOOOOOMED.
01-23-2015, 10:36 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I hate to say it, but, in other threads I have spoken my opinion on commercial photographers who do not also shoot video.
I would not be surprised if the folks being laid off took the tact of being - "Photographers" - and snubbing their noses at also capturing video.

I also would like to point out to some folks here that say "I have no need for video" and how it might contribute to one's unemployment.

It's 2015 folks, some part of your professional photographic workflow will have to be video.

If a SI photographer has a $10K fast lens, and is not willing to also shoot video with that lens, well, it's economics.

Giving folks video in some form is critical unless you can justify a subject that doesn't need video like static things - of which, sports photography is not one of them.