Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2015, 10:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

How many deferred purchases because of FF announcement?

Not many vendors can freeze a market with a pre announcement. I suspect that Pentax has accomplished it in a small way.

How many have put off purchasing a K-3?

How many have put off moving to another brand FF?

How many are actively purchasing FA or D-FA lenses in anticipation?

How many are scouring the used market of high quality A or DA glass?

02-13-2015, 10:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How many are not buying DA APS-C glass?

I have been looking at FA glass but I'm wondering, if the road map is correct, we are going to get NEW FF glass that might/should be far superior to old film era FA glass. FA Limiteds possibly (but not certainly) excepted. So invest now in good FA glass which is already pricy but not outrageous or wait and buy new DFA glass that will certainly be outrageously priced?
02-13-2015, 10:26 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Not many vendors can freeze a market with a pre announcement. I suspect that Pentax has accomplished it in a small way.

FYI this is neither news or a rumor. Moved to the photo industry forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-13-2015, 10:48 PM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

So far in the past few weeks I've purchased a DA* 16-50 f/2.8 lens, K-r body, and an AF540fgz flash. But not because of the FF announcement. In any case, I'm staying with APS-C until the FF system is matured. Makes no sense to run out crazy for the FF system until I see how it behaves and the wrinkles are ironed out. Plus new FF body and lenses are going to cost a ton out of the gate. For the FF body and the 24-70 f/2.8 AW lens, I suspect it will cost much more than my entire APS-C system.

Unless you feel like you HAVE to get it nowwww and have the money to burn, it seems to me to make way more sense to wait and let the system develop. (no pun intended)

I still want to buy a working K-30 for dirt cheap just to flash it to the K-50 firmware and see if it still works. But that is another story....

---------- Post added 02-13-15 at 11:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
How many are not buying DA APS-C glass?

I have been looking at FA glass but I'm wondering, if the road map is correct, we are going to get NEW FF glass that might/should be far superior to old film era FA glass. FA Limiteds possibly (but not certainly) excepted. So invest now in good FA glass which is already pricy but not outrageous or wait and buy new DFA glass that will certainly be outrageously priced?
I'm a zoom fan much more than with primes. So the new coatings and AW construction both make up my mind if I were in the market (even without seeing a single review of the new lenses because I've seen enough reviews of the old lenses ).

But only after a year on the market and the prices have lowered a little to crazy starting gate values.

02-13-2015, 11:47 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I was planning on getting some monolights and a DA*50-135 with maybe a second lens. Now however, I'm only getting the lights and will save a while before deciding whether I will get a FF body or fast zooms for shooting events.
02-14-2015, 12:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I was going to buy an A7 if the FF wasn't announced this year. I was also budgeting for classes, which would probably be a wiser investment than the first gen FF, but the heart wants what it wants.
02-14-2015, 01:21 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have held off buying k3 because I wanted to see what Ricoh Pentax vision for the future was. Now I feel that with the innovation once again part of Pentax dna we will see some new legacy products come out. I'm ready to invest in a new body and the k3 will be a great first step as the price is really good now. In a few years I might upgrade to full frame as half of my lenses are ff, I guess time will tell. But Ricoh Pentax has given me inspiration to stay with the brand for a long time to come!

02-14-2015, 02:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm upgrading to K-3 from K-5 this year. Used, obviously.

FF next year, maybe.
02-14-2015, 03:07 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Er, actually none of the above, as far as I'm concerned. Having seen the images of the new FF glass I'm certainly thrilled for the brand, and I trust the photographs they will produce on the projected body will be divine, but I don't see myself hiking around with such weight and bulk, let alone being able to afford it in the first place.

Rather, I will try to build my existing K-3 system ... and pursue all those photos I haven't taken yet.
02-14-2015, 04:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I will not buy a k3 for sure and also da lenses unless they go to dirty cheap. Except for 18-135, all of my other lenses are FF so I am fine.

I will also not look into the legacy Pentax ff lenses, which have apparently inflated heavily.

Last edited by starjedi; 02-14-2015 at 04:19 AM.
02-14-2015, 05:03 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have no desire to go to FF unless it happens to be the best fit for my next camera. I have a Super Program if I have to shoot FF. As far as lenses I am pretty content at the moment and really have no lenses budgeted at this time. Now if I had the cash I would surely buy the 150-450, , the FA Limiteds, probably the 70-200 and sell my Tamron, But I would also buy the DA21 and other DA lenses. Now although I have nothing planned at this time, I'm always looking for good buys on old lenses, on Craig's list or thrift shops. But Craig's List has seemed to dry up lately.
02-14-2015, 05:42 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't changed plans yet.
  1. Stop buying used lenses that I never use
  2. Sell more things I'm not using
  3. Buy the DA+300 and 1.4X TC later this year
  4. When the K-3 is exhausted, maybe then buy a new body. Might be the FF, might not.
I certainly want the FF but I don't plan to buy it next year.
02-14-2015, 05:48 AM   #13
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I won't be buying much in the near future, but that has nothing to do with the FF. When time comes to upgrade my K-3 it will most likely be to another ASP-C.

For the time being I have all the cameras and lenses I need. But if I find another lens I "need" I'll buy it, no matter the format.
02-14-2015, 07:06 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Absolutely none - however, I have bought a Silver FA43mm f/1.9 Limited second hand. I already have a version of it in Leica thread mount, however the 43mm f/1.9 performs so well on the full frame M system RF cameras, so it is nice to complete my collection of K mount FA limited lenses.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-29-2015 at 02:37 AM.
02-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

No
No and yes. 24 FA is at the top of my list.