Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 07:59 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I still want to buy a working K-30 for dirt cheap just to flash it to the K-50 firmware and see if it still works. But that is another story....
Post a thread if you ever do it, as I'd like to know what happens!

02-14-2015, 08:17 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm too broke to care about vaporware. If Pentax was close to having a product ready for market there'd at least be specs. This promises to be a long Spring and Summer (and likely Fall) of mental masturbation wondering just how wonderful this imaginary camera will be.

I work as a software developer. When companies promise something by a certain date all kind of compromises are made by the development team. Same thing will happen to this camera. Only a fool with tons of money to burn buys a Pentax camera when it first comes out. Price drops are certain, and only a few months down the road from launch. By then they'll also have their apology firmware v 2.0 out
02-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #18

I will buy a K3. Upgrade from a Nikon.
Not everybody needs a full frame dslr.
I have 3 film FF
02-14-2015, 11:02 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
When companies promise something by a certain date all kind of compromises are made by the development team. Same thing will happen to this camera. Only a fool with tons of money to burn buys a Pentax camera when it first comes out. Price drops are certain, and only a few months down the road from launch. By then they'll also have their apology firmware v 2.0 out
This statement would have carried more weight if you had given a real-life example.

Such as the 645Z.

02-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
How many are not buying DA APS-C glass?

I have been looking at FA glass but I'm wondering, if the road map is correct, we are going to get NEW FF glass that might/should be far superior to old film era FA glass. FA Limiteds possibly (but not certainly) excepted. So invest now in good FA glass which is already pricy but not outrageous or wait and buy new DFA glass that will certainly be outrageously priced?
I am not sure why people think FA 50/1.4 and FA 35/2 lenses are not suitable for digital bodies. The fact is, they are very compact lenses compared to the competition and the quality is second to none. Nikon and Canon have some lenses around from the film era as well. The D FA 100 macro WR and D FA 50/2.8 macro aren't outrageously priced.
02-14-2015, 11:56 AM   #21
Dan
Pentaxian

I was about to buy the Sony Alpha a7II but decided to wait for CP+ to see if Pentax had something to announce. I'm glad I waited! I can wait a bit longer for the camera to be released. In the meantime I may pick up one of the new lenses, after I see some reviews.

I think that Ricoh made the right call in announcing the camera. Too many folks were switching systems. This will help stop the bleeding.

Dan
02-14-2015, 07:20 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I am not sure why people think FA 50/1.4 and FA 35/2 lenses are not suitable for digital bodies. The fact is, they are very compact lenses compared to the competition and the quality is second to none. Nikon and Canon have some lenses around from the film era as well. The D FA 100 macro WR and D FA 50/2.8 macro aren't outrageously priced.
I don't think that (if that was to me). What I mean is for example there is a 20-35 f/4 available. But there will likely be a similar or even wider zoom coming along with the new camera. So I am debating on whether to get the 20-35 now, which by all accounts is a fine lens. Or wait to see what the new lenses will bring.

So to illustrate the choices:
A) Buy currently available film era glass. Proven track record with lots of reviews, modest price, available used, reliable screw drive.
B) Buy the future new DFA glass. Designed for digital, weather sealed, quick shift, unknown DC motor, modern coatings, available only new, steep price.

And I'm in fair shape for FF using old glass, just trying to fill in the missing pieces:

02-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I stopped buying because I ran out of money, not because of the FF thing.
02-14-2015, 07:55 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I don't think that (if that was to me). What I mean is for example there is a 20-35 f/4 available. But there will likely be a similar or even wider zoom coming along with the new camera. So I am debating on whether to get the 20-35 now, which by all accounts is a fine lens. Or wait to see what the new lenses will bring.

So to illustrate the choices:
A) Buy currently available film era glass. Proven track record with lots of reviews, modest price, available used, reliable screw drive.
B) Buy the future new DFA glass. Designed for digital, weather sealed, quick shift, unknown DC motor, modern coatings, available only new, steep price.

And I'm in fair shape for FF using old glass, just trying to fill in the missing pieces:
I misunderstood you. If you can get a new, FA 20-35/4 for a reasonable price, I'd jump on it. That one has been discontinued for some time and unlike the FA 50 and FA 35 hasn't been in the supply system nor is it on the new road map like the FA 50 and FA 35 are. You are in outstanding shape. Unlike many, I like the F series lenses. The F 50 1.7 and F 50 1.4 are as good or better than the FA. The F 35-70mm zoom is one of the top sleeper zooms among af lenses. The F 135 rocks and the F 28 is a very good lens. In fact, I have an F28/2.8 and it is one of my favorite lenses.
02-14-2015, 08:10 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Unlike many, I like the F series lenses. The F 50 1.7 and F 50 1.4 are as good or better than the FA. The F 35-70mm zoom is one of the top sleeper zooms among af lenses. The F 135 rocks and the F 28 is a very good lens.
The F 35-70 rarely leaves my bag, an always reliable, very sharp back up. The F 135 has been appropriated by my wife and gets use almost every day. The F 50 f/1.4 and F 28mm are my go to primes day in day out.

The only problem with the F series is that it lacks a good UWA, so I'm looking at the 20-35. But wondering what that DFA UWA is going to look like. Decisions, decisions
02-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Hmm... I guess I gave up buying the 15mm, after the first signs that Ricoh Imaging were working on a 35mm DSLR. I also used this as a reason to skip the K-3 - I have the K-5IIs anyway, it's not like I needed an upgrade.
No reason not to buy the 1.4xRC, though.

Future plans... I'm only interested in new lenses, with modern optics; I guess I'll wait and see what else they will have.
02-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I'm just on a holding pattern.
02-15-2015, 10:01 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had acquired all the lenses I thought I would need if FF did come around, and I'm happy with my K-5IIs, not planning to get a new body until the next gen K-3 if no FF sprang up. With this announcement I was briefly elated.

Now, I'm not so sure I even need the [K-2?] thing, nor any of the planned new glass to go with it. I may go for it in due course, but it is certainly too soon to tell.

So,

No K-3 (any time soon, at least),
Not moving elsewhere,
Have lenses already,
Ditto.

Last edited by Nakedgun; 02-15-2015 at 10:11 PM.
02-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Not many vendors can freeze a market with a pre announcement. I suspect that Pentax has accomplished it in a small way.

How many have put off purchasing a K-3?

How many have put off moving to another brand FF?

How many are actively purchasing FA or D-FA lenses in anticipation?

How many are scouring the used market of high quality A or DA glass?
I was actually expecting it to be announced at CP+ and released this Spring, but I bought a Sony A7m2 anyway. The Pentax FF is still close to a year away from being released, so until it actually exists and is on store shelves, I won't be basing any buying decisions on it. This isn't the first time Pentax has put a FF DSLR on display and made future promises. I do think it is coming, but I can easily see it getting delayed until 2016 if we have a down shift in the market again.