Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-15-2015, 09:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Which Manufacturer Was The Big Winner At CP+ ?

Now that it is over, who do you think was the big winner ? Maybe I am biased but I think Pentax knocked this one out this year. I don't think any of the other manufacturers had anything offered that matched what Pentax showed this year. Opinions ?

02-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax had some very exciting announcements for current Pentax users, but others had some great things as well: for example, the Canon 5Ds (first FF with a 50Mp sensor) and the new Sigma 24mm F1.4 lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-15-2015, 09:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax had some very exciting announcements for current Pentax users, but others had some great things as well: for example, the Canon 5Ds (first FF with a 50Mp sensor) and the new Sigma 24mm F1.4 lens.
Is that actually a good thing??
02-16-2015, 07:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The biggest surprise was Sony. As I find out, no new products from them. And if I remember well, last autumn they said that in January this year, will launch a new type of sensor, a very sensible one. They have even posted some comparison photos last fall made with a surveillance camera, in the night time.

As far as i can see on the net, Pentax has enjoyed a lot of attention. But, of course Adam will tell us more about CP+ in general.

The winner, from my point of view, are the ''Pentaxicans'' to quote NCN, which are very happy this days that FF is finally coming. An also another new camera and new lenses.

02-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Is that actually a good thing??
The lens or the sensor? A 24/1.4 af lens that would be ff compatible has my attention.
02-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

See bolded passage of my quote in post#3 of post #2
02-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm not sure there were any winners.

Sony did nothing.
Pentax showed a 3D printed concept camera that won't ship another 8 months or maybe later.
Fuji showed basically what they have been showing, with only a couple of new and interesting lenses like the new 35mm F/2.
Olympus might have won with the EM-5II and the sensor shift technology in a real camera.
The Nikon 810A is too much of a niche product.
Canon did announce the 5DR & S. Lots of Mega-pixels, but I'm not sure there is any real innovation in the camera.

I would give the award to Olympus for being the first to put the sensor shift multi-exposure technology on the market.

02-16-2015, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Don't forget Samsung. They put the class leading NX1 sensor and processor into a small body and attached a ridiculously low price tag.
02-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I'm not sure there were any winners.

Sony did nothing.
Pentax showed a 3D printed concept camera that won't ship another 8 months or maybe later.
Fuji showed basically what they have been showing, with only a couple of new and interesting lenses like the new 35mm F/2.
Olympus might have won with the EM-5II and the sensor shift technology in a real camera.
The Nikon 810A is too much of a niche product.
Canon did announce the 5DR & S. Lots of Mega-pixels, but I'm not sure there is any real innovation in the camera.

I would give the award to Olympus for being the first to put the sensor shift multi-exposure technology on the market.
I guess I would separate "buzz" and "winners." Pentax definitely showed enough of their hand to keep folks interested who may have been on the edge of leaving. The K-S2 and the new lenses look nice as well. The full frame concept, is a big unknown, but certainly it generates a lot of buzz, even if it isn't coming out for awhile and the specs aren't known.

Sony has released so much over the last year that isn't too surprising that they don't have much new to show from a camera body standpoint.

Canon is definitely following their tried and true path. More megapixels, re releasing similar cameras with slight tweaks, with a lot of advertising thrown in, has gotten them to the top of the market share. Not sure if they can stay there, but they put out just enough each year to keep their faithful happy.
02-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
See bolded passage of my quote in post#3 of post #2
yeah, I had already read Adam's so I did pay close attention to you quoting him.
02-16-2015, 04:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter

BH has the Nikon version of the Sigma 24/1.4 on preorder for $849. It is a fullframe lens.

Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Nikon F 401-306 B&H Photo
02-16-2015, 05:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Don't forget Samsung. They put the class leading NX1 sensor and processor into a small body and attached a ridiculously low price tag.
Samsung announced at Photokina and delivered well before CP+. It is a ground breaking camera and the firmware updates keep making it better, but it wasn't a CP+ announcement.

---------- Post added 02-16-15 at 06:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sony has released so much over the last year that isn't too surprising that they don't have much new to show from a camera body standpoint.
But they were expected to start shipping the new FE lenses this month. Instead of announcing new product, they announced they weren't going to be able to ship pre-orders on time.
02-16-2015, 06:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Samsung announced at Photokina and delivered well before CP+. It is a ground breaking camera and the firmware updates keep making it better, but it wasn't a CP+ announcement.

---------- Post added 02-16-15 at 06:53 PM ----------

But they were expected to start shipping the new FE lenses this month. Instead of announcing new product, they announced they weren't going to be able to ship pre-orders on time.
I meant the NX500... a NX1 without the EVF and in a more typical mirrorless format, at a much lower price.
02-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #14
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I meant the NX500... a NX1 without the EVF and in a more typical mirrorless format, at a much lower price.
Regardless of what anyone thinks of the NX500, they are disqualified on a technicality. They weren't at CP+ at all!

I'd say that Ricoh or Canon made the most impact with their new products and announcements. I don't think Canon's 50mp camera should be criticized because of its pixel count. If 24mp makes sense at APS-C, then why not 50mp at FF? It's about the same density.

In terms of the booth design, I think Fujifilm and Panasonic had really good displays. In terms of people, Canon and Nikon were predictably busy, but Ricoh attracted much more attention than before.
02-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I'd say that Ricoh or Canon made the most impact with their new products and announcements. I don't think Canon's 50mp camera should be criticized because of its pixel count. If 24mp makes sense at APS-C, then why not 50mp at FF? It's about the same density.
I'd say practicality starts to become an issue when the MP get too high.Filesizes get huge in a hurry: a 50MP, 16bit uncompressed TIFF will occupy over 280 MB of disk space. The 14bit RAWs will be quite a bit smaller at about 80 MB each (max, uncompressed), but if you need more storage and a faster computer/more memory when you don't need all those MP, it's no longer a benefit.

It means the camera is really aimed at high professionals who need that kind of resolution. For the enthusiast, it's actually more trouble than it's worth.

And before someone says "but cropping!", no lens will deliver nearly that much resolution, so you'd be cropping into low image quality.