Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2015, 11:37 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Client education in the photography business!

Where I live (Costa Rica), pro-oriented printing, matting, mounting and framing service (Retablos Reyma: :: RETABLOS REYMA :: ). They cater mostly to portrait studios and wedding photographers, but also do business with regular clients.

Since about a year ago, they've been running an "educational" campaign towards "photographer's clients". by teaching them "what not to do with your photographer" or "The 6 easiest ways to insult a photographers".

To regular pro clients, (photographers and studios) this people provide them with stacks of leaflets containing the "6 forbidden rules", so they can slip those leaflets along with offers, estimates and samples of their jobs.

According to a couple of friends that do make a living out of photography, with this leaflets they somehow "feel" the've gained respect among their regular clients. Also, they've been getting less "discount requests" and during the actual photo sessions, a lot of "distraction" has disappeared, like a**holes asking stupid questions about the gear, better prepared subjects not expecting photoshop magic and so on.

By now, the campaign is finished. Just a few posters remain at Reyma's store and no leaflets are available. They told me that probably they will run the same campaign "with refreshed concepts" sometime in the near future.

Those six posters (leaflets) are good! Go straight to the point every single photographer (pro or advanced amateur) has been bugged with or pissed of by a client or just a "nobody" who happens to be close.

I copied the six posters with my smartphone and translated them, trying to keep as much or the original concept (in Spanish) was dealt with.

BTW, the campaign was based on the motto:

"We may never forget that the Photographer is a Professional, no matter what type or brand of camera he uses.
The camera is an instrument that only in the right hands, can produce beautiful results."

Attached Images

02-24-2015, 12:01 PM - 2 Likes   #2

Photos: Gallery
I had several comments during my vacation trip with family about how my "big" (K-3) camera must take good photos...
Until I asked one lady what size of pots she uses in her kitchen and then told her surely when she uses the small ones, the food must taste awfull.
02-24-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm always perplexed to see how bristly and sensitive the world of professional photography can be. Yes,
it is a challenge when the public's perception is 'photography is easy', but you can't fault the public for
having what is essentially a correct assessment.

Face it, photography >is< easy for the simple fact that cameras >are< easy to use. Camera manufacturers
have been striving for over a hundred years to make their products easy to use and the modern camera
requires almost no special knowledge to take a very good picture right out of the box with very little effort.
Compared to virtually any other creative tool, cameras are easier to use competently with minimal instruction.
Camera vs. guitar; camera is easier to learn from a cold start. Camera vs. wood lathe; camera is easier.
Camera vs. pottery wheel; camera is easier. And so on.....

I think all of those questions/comments are innocent enough on their own and only become 'insulting',
(I would rather think annoying), when heard over and over again. Personally, I think the poster campaign
above is itself edging a little 'insulting' in tone, even if addressing some useful points. All these questions
are easily fielded on the spot:

1) "Yes it does, especially if you know how to use it." Remind client you're being paid hourly. Ask if they'd
like a demonstration of the camera's ability to take good pictures, while your on the clock.

2) "I can do lots of things in Photoshop. Hair can be tricky, though, and could require many hours to 'fix'.
it really would be simpler to just comb your hair." Remind client you're being paid hourly.

3) "I'm sure he does! I imagine he's currently on assignment with National Geographic or he'd probably
be here, taking these pictures for you." Remind client your are much more affordable than a National
Geographic photographer.

4) "Indeed, heavenly simple! And this knob only needs to be twisted. And this menu setting only needs
to be configured to that setting. And this light only needs to be angled like so......" Remind client you're
being paid hourly.

5) "No time, no time! The light is just right, I must get the shot! You will see the images when they
are finished." Remind client you're being paid hourly.

6) No comment necessary. Provide rate sheet showing price for images included on CD. Include
rate sheet for licensing fees to use images on CD. Set the parameters however you like, (CD available
as stand alone or only available with print order, etc). Of course, images on CD >will< be processed.
If desired, provide rate sheet for full ownership of RAW, unprocessed files.