Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2015, 11:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm generally pretty happy with my iPhone 5's camera for what it is. Apple is investing a lot of money and effort into camera technology - far more than what most other entities will put in. The results speak for themselves. Consider the quality you can get with the sensor in that phone. My pinky fingernail is probably bigger than that sensor yet I can get beautiful IQ out of it when exercised correctly.

I say Ricoh should stay out of the mobile camera/phone business. Let Sony chew on it.

02-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Heck, why stop there, I want a phone/camera/microwave/3d printer/refrigerator all in one with good ergonomics, custom temperature and camera controls, lightweight, portable and under $500 USD. That way, if I get hungry while talking on the phone waiting to take that selfie in front of a once in a lifetime sunset, I can just print up my food and utensils, cook the food in the microwave and store the leftovers in the fridge.
02-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I can just print up my food and utensils, cook the food in the microwave and store the leftovers in the fridge
What you actually want is a replicator ... you were born in the wrong century!
02-25-2015, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
The saying needs to be fixed: The best camera you have is the one on you have with you. -> The best camera you have with you is the best you have with you.
Or even better: don't leave the best camera at home - you might regret it when you see the images. Anyway, hope this wont evolve to a semantics thread.

kadajawi: The Asus Zenphone zoom looks like a nice step in the right direction 1/3" sensor, OIS, 3x optical zoom, f/2,7-4,8 and just 12 mm thick.

I don't think high ISO should be called SR at all, it should be called high ISO.
I was talking about video SR. The digital SR that Pentax uses is inferior to that of my phone... though the K-5 video SR beats anything out there (with a larger sensor) apart from Olympus... and they have the advantage of a smaller sensor.

@UncleVanya: Search for Mi2RAW. That will let you take raw photos with your G3.

02-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I'm generally pretty happy with my iPhone 5's camera for what it is. Apple is investing a lot of money and effort into camera technology - far more than what most other entities will put in. The results speak for themselves. Consider the quality you can get with the sensor in that phone. My pinky fingernail is probably bigger than that sensor yet I can get beautiful IQ out of it when exercised correctly.

I say Ricoh should stay out of the mobile camera/phone business. Let Sony chew on it.
Yeah, the iPhone has a pretty good camera. I have had it do a really good job with some very challenging exposures. As for Ricoh getting into the phone business..........NO!
02-25-2015, 09:59 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I looked and looked for a good P&S to carry, and finally realized that I was not going to be happy with much less than a SLR.
I've got small shoulder bag with my K3, 18-135, 55-300 and 35Macro on it, an extra battery, a note book and some other odds and ends,
Goes everywhere with me, I'm willing to carry that much with me for the opportunities I encounter every day.
I've got all this nice gear, and know how to use it, why not have it with me? Photography is much more a part of me, not just something special I do on weekends and special occasions.
02-25-2015, 10:52 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Just what is needed, a camera that can get Android malware...
I think it's called a Samsung…

…and, don't forget that it has the advantage of getting you a consumer profile that you didn't know you needed.

02-26-2015, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

I wouldn't mind Ricoh teaming up with a smartphone maker though, preferably one of the big Chinese ones. Like... Ricoh develops the camera module, lens etc., and the rest is done by the smartphone maker. Something like the ASUS with the integrated zoom lens.
02-26-2015, 06:17 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Heck, why stop there, I want a phone/camera/microwave/3d printer/refrigerator all in one with good ergonomics, custom temperature and camera controls, lightweight, portable and under $500 USD. That way, if I get hungry while talking on the phone waiting to take that selfie in front of a once in a lifetime sunset, I can just print up my food and utensils, cook the food in the microwave and store the leftovers in the fridge.
The microwave fridge is actually a good idea. I would like to have one in my office. Aside from that, pleas stop joking. Phone cameras have its uses, and people use them a lot. Why not make it less limited? Why not make one that photographers like? I'm shure it won't canibalize system camera sales, just be an valuable addition that eats the market shares from the phone competitors.

If i were good at photoshop i would make a mockup to show what i mean. I think its explained good with words in the first post.
03-02-2015, 03:13 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
The microwave fridge is actually a good idea.
I always wonderd why there is a device to heat someting up within seconds (microwave), but not one that freezes something in seconds. Inventing it would be a one-way-ticket to becoming rich, I think.
03-02-2015, 06:16 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I always wonderd why there is a device to heat someting up within seconds (microwave), but not one that freezes something in seconds. Inventing it would be a one-way-ticket to becoming rich, I think.
Already exists...Flash freezing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
03-02-2015, 07:08 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Yes, but not as a household commodity. I would love to be able to place my lukewarm beer, fresh from the supermarket in a device and cool it 20 seconds on 800 watts till its ready to drink.
03-02-2015, 07:37 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Yes, but not as a household commodity. I would love to be able to place my lukewarm beer, fresh from the supermarket in a device and cool it 20 seconds on 800 watts till its ready to drink.
I can give you a 3-5 min method. Ice water immersion.