Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2015, 02:29 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2014 U.S. Army Photography Contest Results

I wasn't sure where to put this but figured I would here. Anyway, here's the write-up, which also shows the 14 images that I submitted:

Alex Jansen Photography Blog - 2014 U.S. Army Digital Photography Contest Results

-Heie

03-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
One of your images appears to be titled... well all I can say is that you could have been shot for saying "Valley" in the Scottish Highlands while here... that's an English thing, it should read Glen in the Scottish Highlands.

I think you got a good result bearing in mind the sheer numbers that no doubt entered such a competition, well done sir.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-01-2015 at 02:48 PM.
03-01-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Congratulation Alex.

I'll say a couple things about the contest: (1) I hate, hate, hate Flickr. (2) The Category 1 [military] photos were generally of superior quality to the Category 2 [non-military] ones.

I'm actually surprised they included the 'Eyes Downrange, You!' in the winners, since it shows someone doing something incorrect. (Although of your submissions, that one is likely the strongest.)

There are some phenomenal photos in there (yours included) but I have to say that the winning Cat 1 Still Life and People category photos are terrible.
03-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #4

Congratulations Heie!

Great pictures!

03-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow! You were in some very strong company. Although a few of those winners are a bit overly HDR-ish for my taste there is not a bad image among them and most are stunning.

I think you can be very proud of your work.
03-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You've submitted a nice set of photos, congratulations for the final results. Keep up the good work!
03-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There are some great images (including yours), but I have to admit I was a bit surprised and disappointed by what I saw in the Flickr gallery. When I read 'US Army Photography Contest' I didn't expect over half of the pictures to be of cats, birds, flowers and children playing in fields. Seems a bit pointless. I expected more military and photojournalistic content - images of military life, from Afghanistan, Iraq etc.

03-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good job, Alex! I had seen most of the photos before, as you have been generous with posting here. I think you have a good eye. Hopefully selling a lot of your gear doesn't stop you from continuing to shoot in the various places you go.
03-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well done Heie.

Congratulations.
03-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Congratulation Alex.

I'm actually surprised they included the 'Eyes Downrange, You!' in the winners, since it shows someone doing something incorrect. (Although of your submissions, that one is likely the strongest.)
I'm curious -- What is being done incorrectly in that photo?
03-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I'm curious -- What is being done incorrectly in that photo?
It appears to me that the shooter is looking to his right, at the flying brass and links and the camera, rather than looking downrange at the target. Definitely not the correct place to have your attention...

Great shots, Alex!

Jim
03-01-2015, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
It appears to me that the shooter is looking to his right, at the flying brass and links and the camera, rather than looking downrange at the target. Definitely not the correct place to have your attention...
Isn't that the point of the caption?
03-01-2015, 08:07 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
That's the way I took the caption, too. "Eyes downrange, you!" meaning the shooter needs to have his eyes downrange...

I thought maybe there was something else beyond the "eyes and caption connection" which might be incorrect.

Nice phots, Alex, I enjoyed them all!
03-01-2015, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
That's the way I took the caption, too. "Eyes downrange, you!" meaning the shooter needs to have his eyes downrange...

I thought maybe there was something else beyond the "eyes and caption connection" which might be incorrect.

Nice phots, Alex, I enjoyed them all!
Only thing I saw wrong, and yep that would be the caption's point the way I saw it too...

Jim
03-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #15
Pentaxian

My office's security software blocks your website as adult content. If you think that's undeserved, you can request a review at http://urlfiltering.paloaltonetworks.com/ChangeASite.aspx.