Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is fashion photography changing? Photoshopping !

The title might seem vague ... let me explain:

I have just finished watching a short TV interview of a (well known here) fashion designer and the "debate" was whether the fashion industry should slowly change its ways to present their models or their choices thereof.

The fellow goes on to say that he is becoming "scared" at the heavy PP being done on pictures displayed in fashion magazines (photos of female models) so that they look absolutely perfect in all aspects.
However, he further adds that some (rare) magazines have started to show "normal" models without much PP in the photos.
Is this to become a trend?

What about the editors of well known magazines: do they request, from the photographers, that the models be absolutely perfect and therefore allow for very heavy use of PP?

Is the fashion industry still "in need" of the perfect human form and looks?

Do you see any possible changes in the near future?

JP

03-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

disclaimer: I know nothing. I just started shooting fashion in fall of 2013.

Depends on the market. For these kinds of things I tend to think locally instead of globally as the it's the local market which dictates my work and my attention. Sure, I would love to get a job offer to fly down to NYC and shoot for a publication with some high end budget...blah blah blah, but truth is that is just wishful thinking at this point and not a realistic goal in the short term.

One thing I've learned from shooting locally is that there are a lot of things that go into the shoot. Right from wardrobe and how the model preps, to makeup and hair, to the photographer and set design, the designer of the clothing, the art directors vision, and of course the post-production elements. All of these combine to create these "perfect" shots. (and yet one of the "other" images that I didn't licence to the dealership that I posted on fstoppers some derelict shows up and says shes too fat. what a piece of work...)

I know from my limited experience that a proper makeup and hair professional can reduce or eliminate the need for post production touch ups on the models skin/face. Sure there are always going to be a blemish here or there, dust on the sensor, whatever to deal with, but a bad*ss makeup artist and hair stylist will make your life in post amazing.

I had an amazing team for my Infiniti Q50 Pinup shoot last month and I did such incredibly minor "beauty edits" to the model in post it was amazing. made a pretty penny for the image too, just for rights to use the image in the dealership.

The problem with the "perfect model look" lies even deeper than we think... it lies in what the industry dictates a person (woman or man) should look like. We look at these adds and see these amazing people who look out of this world and we are lead to believe that if we bought that outfit we will look like that too. It's advertising, it's made to sell. If you got me to model (a slightly overweight, short, balding 30 year old with a scruffy beard) the outfit I don't know how many people would walk into that store to buy it.
03-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
...heavy PP being done on pictures displayed in fashion magazines (photos of female models) so that they look absolutely perfect...
I'm not sure how the fashion industry decided that human perfection = looking like a mannequin, but it definitely caught on. Skin is processed to look like plastic. Bodies are processed into inhuman proportions. People who look okay are pushed into plastic surgery that makes them look like they've been photoshopped in real life.
03-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Our most popular model in The Netherlands is Doutzen Kroes and she is perfect even 10 seconds after waking up. A change in the PP isn't a surprise, since this is something that changes constantly over time.

03-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This sort of thing predates digital imaging by quite a few years. It is just easier than air brushing etc.
03-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback, folks!

As an added note, here's what I saw/heard of yesterday:

France likely to ban super-skinny models - Trending - CBC News

Not really related to photoshopping but nonetheless interesting, isn't it ?