Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for this software?
I don't have a need for it 3784.09%
I'd only use it if was free 36.82%
I'd pay up to $10 24.55%
$10-$25 12.27%
$25-$50 12.27%
$50-$100   00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Opinion Needed: Software that detects bad photos and pick the best of similar ones

I'm considering writing a Windows application that can detect:

- underexposed photos
- overexposed photos
- shaken photos
- blurred out of focus photos
- and pick the best (clearest) of a set of similar/duplicate photos

Is this something you would use? How much would you be willing to pay for something like this?

What features would you like to see?

04-08-2015, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no need...my vision is still very good and I prefer to make the value call.

Steve
04-08-2015, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Sometimes the blurred photos are best:
Motion blur to give a sense of speed,
bokeh when it's not in focus, and so on.

For under/over exposure, I can just look at the histogram.

The day an algorithm decides which photos to keep
is the day I quit photography!
04-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think such an app would appeal to non-photographers rather than photographers.

04-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No use to me the way I shoot. Maybe someone doing sports and blazing away on burst would have a use. Even if I had a use for it I don't think I would ever trust software to make the call. Not that it might not be capable, I just would not want to give up that creative control.

Who knows which is the hero image until you develop them? Sometimes the one that looks the worst on initial inspection turns out to be the keeper.

There are recurring rumors that some stock agencies use software as an initial sort. Those rumors are usually greeted by near riots among stock photogs and routinely denied by the agencies.
04-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Hate to be the latest to kick sand in your face... but "sharpness is a bourgeois concept". It is very rare that an image that is technically the best, is also the best pose and artistic expression. Such software would throw out much of what I select myself.
04-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Better than software, the best way to save the time consumed by checking and deleting photos is not to take the bad ones upfront.

04-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah I would never trust my computer to do that for me, and this is coming from a fellow programmer.
04-08-2015, 12:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Better than software, the best way to save the time consumed by checking and deleting photos is not to take the bad ones upfront.
That is so old school.... if you're shooting portraits with an 8x10 film camera, as every portrait studio did in the 50's and 60's, that is definitely the game. When I'm shooting wildlife beside the Canon guys, you should hear the frame rate..... the downside for them with the really fast frame rate is their buffer fills up pretty quick. Sometimes they've filled their buffer before the action ends and miss the best of it. It happens to me too, just not as often.
04-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I think such an app would appeal to non-photographers rather than photographers.
Exactly, might do pretty well!
04-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That is so old school.... when I'm shooting wildlife beside the Canon guys, you should hear the frame rate..... the downside for them with the really fast frame rate is their buffer fills up pretty quick
You mean you need a rotating SD card changer ?

---------- Post added 08-04-15 at 21:30 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That is so old school....
Instead of software to delete bad photos, I suggest a Miksang approach: close your eyes, rotate on yourself 90 degrees, open your eyes, close your eyes and remember the vision you had etc... (Miksang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Of course the problem with birds is that the bird is gone when you open your eyes again.
04-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by takhyon Quote
I'm considering writing a Windows application that can detect:
Having a quick look at the poll... I don't think your gonna make your fame and fortune out of this piece of software.
04-08-2015, 12:43 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photography is art. Art needs a human eye and/or touch.
04-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now I believe there are mobile apps that will take a burst and pick the best one. That I could see having some commercial potential if it works.
There's also that Google+ feature that will combine a burst, like to get a group shot to make a composite with everyone smiling and with open eyes. Pretty impressive technology!
04-08-2015, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #15

I can imagine detection for faults like over-/underexposed, shake etc. to be helpful in a program for beginners in "non-automode photography". But instead of grading photos it could give hints like: Try to use a faster shutter speed or a tripod to avoid shaking, wide apertures decrease the dof, and similar. However those detection algorithms could be a lot of work...